IGNORED

Giving blood and riding in the heat

This weekend I did 3 rides where I felt "out of it", basically when I rode with others I had difficulty keeping up. Even by myself I felt winded. Normally this happens when we get to summer with heat but this felt pretty harsh.

Earlier in the week I donated blood. Does anyone know if that would have a big adverse impact on me and how long should I expect that to last?

54 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Using the google, I get this: https://pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/how-blood-donation-affects-performance/

Looks like the long and short of it is that yes, there is a 4-6 week impact. I wonder how Texas heat plays into it.

I've never quite been in the same situation, but in the short term I've had a few experiences where I didn't properly hydrate after donation and I felt it bad. Almost passed-out just walking in an airconditioned mall once. I can imaging it being worse after riding given how much of a toll the heat takes on me. I remember reading an article about pro-athletes and it said that Hydration for them started days in advance of an event and recovery was the same. Add loosing a good amount of blood and it doesn't shock me. 

Speaking of hydration, the Target store in the Arboretum/Gateway area (183 @ Great Hills Trail) has

• Nuun tablet (various flavors)
  • Skratch in single packets and small bulk bags 
  • Honey Stinger waffles (gluten free and regular) and chews.   

It was somewhere in the sports/yoga section.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gave blood about 4 weeks ago. For the first 2-3 weeks I went from averaging 11-12 MPH on urban rides to 10-11MPH urban and struggled on the trails. They said it could be 4 weeks before my oxygen was 100% back to normal. Got on the bike yesterday after 10+ days out of town and averaged ~11.5MPH. Very interested to see how I do on the trails this weekend. Clearly there was an impact.