IGNORED

JIS Screwdrivers/Japanese Industry Standard

JRA

I just saw Park is now making jis screwdrivers.https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-screwdriver-dsd-2?category=General Shop Tools.

A couple years ago I bought a set of these(different brand) to use on an old 80s Honda CB I was rebuilding and the fit and bite was way better than any craftsman or snap-on phillips head I had. I use these pretty much exclusively on bicycles now and never have fit problems or stripped screw heads. These go a little deeper into the screw making already bunged up screw heads a little easier to deal with. One of the best upgrades you can do for your tool box for under 20 bucks, this is the set I have.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by JRA
  • Like 3

This thread brings back memories. Back in the '80s I was an IBM engineer doing mainframes. I also did consulting and component level repairs of the new PCs coming out of Japan. American screwdrivers did NOT work well on them. I paid dearly for a set of Japanese screwdrivers but they just plain worked on that hardware. This is the only other reference I've seen to that standard in all these years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

*snicker. Oh the places this thread would go on Mojo.

And rapidly did here too. :classic_laugh:

I saw this thread yesterday and didn't open it. Then this morning I see "13 responses." Huh? Why the big interest in screwdrivers for heaven's sake?

Ah! Got it. 

Isn't  "bulbous" a great word or what? That will be my word of the day.

• Like 1

I bought a bunch of JIS screwdrivers for the shop when I learned this 6 or 7 years ago. Spent a decent amount of time looking for a percision driver (the one with swivel handle) to keep in my apron for quick access. Then SRAM and Shimano switched to allens on their limit screws and my screwdriver use dropped off drastically. 

An Atlantic article attributes the low birth rate to the rise of the gig economy in Japan.  Superficially it looks like the economy is full steam ahead, but because part-time work is counted in employment statistics, the 3% unemployment rate in Japan is misleading and many young Japanese men are piecing together several part-time jobs to make ends meet. 

The Mystery of Why Japanese People Are Having So Few Babies   Many point to unromantic 20-somethings and women’s entry into the workforce, but an overlooked factor is the trouble young men have in finding steady, well-paid jobs.

Google "low Japanese birth rate" and a ton of articles pop up.  

From a quick google search on availability of birth control in Japan:  Abortion has been available in Japan since 1949 and there is no moral stigma attached to getting one.  It is especially considered an option for couples that conceive out of wedlock, which could certainly account for the low number of out-of-wedlock babies vs. the US.   Relatively recent statistics show there are about 250,000 to 300,000 abortions are performed each year. 

Japanese women are big on condom use (80% prefer it); birth control pills not so much but the increasing number of young women using the pill is cutting the number of abortions. 

Where were we?  Oh, right. 

Yesterday I was at Breeds Hardware on 29th St.  If you've ever been to the original (and awesome) Breeds on 29th St., you know it's half hardware with guys in red vests and the other half is high end kitchen stuff/gardening.  I was admiring their display of gorgeous Japanese kitchen knives.  There were no prices listed for those, so I'm assuming they are out of my price range, but the German ones are an option (> $100). 

Early on ARR (Spicewookie) bought some wonderful Japanese pruning saws (Samurai brand!) for trail work.   They cut on the pull, require a deft  touch with some finesse and trail work days tend to be high on the hearty masculine energy spectrum;  there were some tool casualties -- bent blades.   I think Fiskars brand folding saws and pruning saws are now in use. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1