IGNORED

Turner Burner RIP

Hugh

At least my bike made it through my CO/NM trip last week.

Riding the Greenbelt this AM and I felt a CLUNK going over a rock drop.  The seat tube broke clean through.  This is the 2nd Turner of mine the Greenbelt has claimed.

Turner only has one mtb frame now - titanium front suspension.

I've only ridden Turner since 2005.  What are some good all mountain/cross country options?  DH isn't really my thing, so not interested in going that route.  

I am overly excited about my Orbea Occam. It's the best bike I have ever ridden. Older 2019 model, the newer stuff is even nicer. If mine broke today I'd buy a new one without even demoing the bike. Zero hesitation. I am not a DH rider, more XC. Mine eats the greenbelt up for fun every weekend.

• Like 1

There's so many good bikes out now, it's hard to go wrong. Buy a 29er with 100-120mm and you're GTG. IMHO, HTA isn't nearly as important as STA and WB in central tx.

My picks for bikes to ride here:

Revel Ranger

Kona Hei Hei

Transition Spur

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

That Ranger is amazing, but I’d go with the Rascal first. 

For sho. Got to ride @Chief rascal and it pedaled as good as my old 27lb 100mm XC whip.

I think Velorangutan has a few and maybe a demo. Totally worth checking out.

Edited by ATXZJ

21 hours ago, Barry said:

It's a bizarre turn of events for a company that literally used to be called Turner Suspension Bicycles, Inc.

It makes me sad. I think Dave resisted carbon fiber as long as he could and he wanted to keep fabrication stateside.

I don't know why he abandoned full suspension bikes though.

6 hours ago, Hugh said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking into the Rascal now.

Cool

Their complete bikes can be a little pricey. Might be more advantageous to buy a frame and build it up.

I really like that Canfield suspension platform. Something about it just works for all the crappy ledges and chunk here.

@Chief has been so happy with his, he bought a revel gravel bike lol.

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

If you're more XC than trail, the Oiz TR is an excellent bike.  I test rode the Ibis Ripley V4 and didn't like it for me (plus it's crazy expensive).  I like a more reactive bike.

I find this an intriguing statement.  My personal proclivities for a MTB are slightly different than most people, but I do share that appreciation for a reactive bike.  However, I test rode an Ibis Ripmo 2 yrs ago and was very surprised at how well it performed.  On paper, and from other peoples comments, I'd like to spend a weekend on the OIZ TR.

Later,
CJB

I don't know about the Ripmo, but when I demo'd the Ripley I was unimpressed. I wanted to like it and on paper it was perfect. But the seat tube angle was too steep and that put me too far over the stem. I even swapped the stem to a shorter one for my second ride and that ended up just putting me more upright than with the longer stem (which seemed to put me over the front wheel.) One mile on the Occam and I was sold and texted Wes so get one ready for me. 

• Like 1

It's hard to believe we used to bomb down Forest Ridge on steel or alum hardtails with crappy brakes and wire bead tires! Mtb's are amazing now and cost more than my KTM moto, but it sure is fun riding chunky tech trails on my new Trance with fancy 12sp and Magura stoppers. So many good bikes to choose from now days.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bart said:

It's hard to believe we used to bomb down Forest Ridge on steel or alum hardtails with crappy brakes and wire bead tires! Mtb's are amazing now and cost more than my KTM moto, but it sure is fun riding chunky tech trails on my new Trance with fancy 12sp and Magura stoppers. So many good bikes to choose from now days.

I should have gone back to 11sp when I had the chance. But I agree on all of the other points. We are spoiled.

59 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I should have gone back to 11sp when I had the chance. But I agree on all of the other points. We are spoiled.

I started with a 3x5 setup.  And the Girvin Flex Stem was considered front suspension.

My first ride on a 1x blew my mind.

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I don't know about the Ripmo, but when I demo'd the Ripley I was unimpressed. I wanted to like it and on paper it was perfect. But the seat tube angle was too steep and that put me too far over the stem. I even swapped the stem to a shorter one for my second ride and that ended up just putting me more upright than with the longer stem (which seemed to put me over the front wheel.) One mile on the Occam and I was sold and texted Wes so get one ready for me. 

Now you are correct in your assessment of STA.  I did leave my Ripmo test ride thinking..."Sure is fun to bomb down God's, and even climb back up.  But I'd HATE to have to pedal this thing 10 miles home on the road {or ride the EB on it]".  Modern STA is a problem for me in that I pedal to the trail a good bit.  Back when I was custom making my own frames, I'd spec a 72* STA in my personal bikes (with no setback).  I considered seat post setback a sign of incorrect dimensions.

-CJB

IMHO, you'll get used to steep STA after a couple rides. Same with slack HTA.

My bikes always feel super slack when I first build them, then after a few rides I can't even tell I'm riding around on a 63-64* HTA bike.

Last thing you want is a slack STA with short chainstays. Especially if you're tall/have long legs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

IMHO, you'll get used to steep STA after a couple rides. Same with slack HTA.

My bikes always feel super slack when I first build them, then after a few rides I can't even tell I'm riding around on a 63-64* HTA bike.

Last thing you want is a slack STA with short chainstays. Especially if you're tall/have long legs.

^ 100%

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, Bart said:

It's hard to believe we used to bomb down Forest Ridge on steel or alum hardtails with crappy brakes and wire bead tires!

When I moved to Austin many years ago, I rode City Park on a rigid bike. Only because any type of suspension was just coming out.

Fortunately, City Park wasn't as eroded out as it is now. Trust me, being able to ride rigid out there want a reflection of my abilities.

I really miss Forest Ridge.

• Like 1

I think comparing bikes and their Geo numbers on paper is an act of futility. Mostly due to manufacturer Geo numbers being wrong or measured at some obscure point in the bikes sag/travel. Evil is notorious for this, their numbers are so far off of what they should be it's ridiculous. You need to ride the bike and not just around a parking lot to get the real feel of it's characteristics. We are much better at adapting to how a bike feels than trying to adapt a bike to how we think it should feel. I've progressively gone more low, long and slack over the years and when I first get on a lower slacker bike my first thought is I don't know about this, but I eventually adapt to how the bike feels and I like it just as long as the TT and wheelbase aren't too long. The one thing I will say for the local trails is that any wheelbase beyond 1200mm is like trying to drive a big rig through the trails. My Rascal is 130mm rear and 150mm front with a 44mm offset fork and just shy of 1200mm wheelbase and I love it. With that said a bike that was developed with PNW trails in mind is most likely going to be a dog in Centex trails. All I can say is if it feels comfortable to you then it's probably a good fit. Let's not overthink things "KISS".

• Like 1