IGNORED

Wanted to Borrow or Rent Bike Rack

My family is planning a trip to Bentonville for March 9 – 17.  We have a receiver hitch Thule Pro 2-Bike Hitch Rack and need to be able to carry two more bikes.  So, I was wondering if anyone has the T2 Pro XT 2-Bike Add-On that I could borrow or a four-bike rack that I could borrow?  This may be the last time we are able to get the whole family riding together for a while. 

Hmm....not sure.  I don't think so because its the older version(s).  Are you talking 29x 2.8"?  I'm running 29x3 and it won't fit.  But I've been meaning to try and modify it to work.  This may give me the impetus to figure it out.  Are both the bikes 2.8?

-CJB

55 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

That would be awesome!   Swapping for the would be perfect.  Does yours accept fat (2.8") tires?

let air out of the tires. Ive put fatbikes on my standard rack by doing this 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

Wide tire fit problem...

etrailer has you covered...

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/TH919.html

I don't think that can be my solution.  Part of the problem with the (my) old rack is the retention arms are not long enough to go over the tire.  Simply making the mounts able to handle the wide tire doesn't solve for for the retention arms "being too short".

However, I do think that letting the air out of the tires for transport would work.  Problem there is that if the rack is needed once you get to your destination it would be a PITA to constantly deflate and re-inflate you tires each time you transport to the trail.

-CJB

I solved that problem with my old rack... I had an idea and Bamwa executed it perfectly. Check with him to see if he has the time to do it for you.

Cut the arm of the hook section, inserted round tube to the necessary length for extension needed, welded tight... Works like a charm on 29" bikes.

Thule has tried to be profit smart by adding length to the main arm... But that means more expense for the buyer.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

I don't think that can be my solution.  Part of the problem with the (my) old rack is the retention arms are not long enough to go over the tire.  Simply making the mounts able to handle the wide tire doesn't solve for for the retention arms "being too short".

Mine’s pretty old too. A few taller 29 tires I have to tip the bike over and bring the arm of the rack almost to the brake arch on the fork then tip the bike back and arm slips over the tire. No prob on 27.5+ but I’d imagine 29+ tires are pretty tall!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here some photos of the extension I did with my T2 rack arm so that it could fit a 29er wheel...If you look at the hook arm you'll see where the extension was made. Thule extends the lower arm, and that's the piece you need to buy so that your old rack can take 29er wheels. But there's no reason why the extension can't be on the hook arm, especially the way it was done by Bamwa, where he cut and inserted a piece of round that extended down into the two original pieces, which actually made the whole thing stronger.

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 10:37 AM, CBaron said:

Hmm....not sure.  I don't think so because its the older version(s).  Are you talking 29x 2.8"?  I'm running 29x3 and it won't fit.  But I've been meaning to try and modify it to work.  This may give me the impetus to figure it out.  Are both the bikes 2.8?

-CJB

The largest tire size in our bunch would be 27.5+ (2.8 inches).  After that it is a couple of 27.5 with 2.4" tires and a 26" relic ...