IGNORED

New Bike Day - Sunday Forecaster

tomreece

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a 19" TT Sunday for my son at Buck's Bikes.  He loves the thing.  It's already banged up from him trying manuals and other stuff...but that thing gets scratched up and keeps going, unlike the MTB which I kept having to fix.  I'm pleased with the quality and stoutness so far.

Incidentally, on the first ride, he was going up the hill on our street and the chain snapped (he weighs 96lbs).  It looked like a bad rivet job since both side plates came off the rivet and the rivet stayed on the journal.  I took the chain back to Buck's and they gave me a replacement (offered to pay the difference for a KMC) right away.  

On 1/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, AntonioGG said:

How do you like the bike so far?

How did you decide on the Sunday?

I am shopping for a bike for my son. I'm looking for quality used bike, but will also look at a new Sunday, and the Mongoose L100 seems to be recommended too.

1. I love it! There are even some days that it's nice enough to ride my MTB on the trails but I'll ride the BMX instead.

2. I chose the Sunday after talking about BMX with a worker at The Peddler. I think his name was Reed? I didn't do too much research before-hand and just sorta went with his suggestions.

5 hours ago, Cafeend said:

TR--Where you riding this new toy? There is the park @ Pflugerville thats fun.

There is a pump track over in BlockHouse

I bought a Sunday Model C last year,, Way fun but an ass kicker

So far I've been practicing manuals in my apartment's parking lot. I'll also venture out and look for fun stuff to try to hop up onto and off of. As far as parks, I've been to the Brushy Creek Sports park twice now. I don't think bikes are allowed but I haven't gotten yelled at yet. I just respect the skaters and kids and try to get a line in every so often.

I heard great things about the Pflugerville park from a guy at EMPIRE BMX. He gave me a cool one page map of places to ride in Austin.

--

So far in summary the BMX bike is a ton of fun. At first it felt very little and I felt stupid on it but now it's feeling better to me and I really enjoy simple things on it. I could practice manuals for an hour and be dripping sweat and breathing pretty hard. It burns up the energy that's for sure. And as a plus, I feel more confident and in control of my 29 inch mountain bike after riding the tiny thing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 3:49 PM, AntonioGG said:

How do you like the bike so far?

How did you decide on the Sunday?

I am shopping for a bike for my son. I'm looking for quality used bike, but will also look at a new Sunday, and the Mongoose L100 seems to be recommended too.

Stay away from bigger brands like Mongoose, GT, Haro, etc. They are run by people who don't ride and will try to sell you a bike that is mostly shit based in a few "nice" parts. Smaller, rider run brands like Sunday and FBM do a very good job at putting together a bike that will work in the real world because that have to experience to work with.

I'd go to Empire because those guys all ride and won't steer you wrong, but at they very least talk to someone who rides BMX on a regular basis before you buy.

Fwiw I ride a Sunday, but it's an older model, and it's been a great bike.

Edited by Big_papa_nuts
  • Like 2