IGNORED

Flats, or clipless?

Seths Pool

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That sucks! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Yeah, blame the pedals! Definitely not any sort of rider error. If he was clipped in, he could just float effortlessly over everything.

Exactly, you get it. This is the same spot he crashed on. He is also an expert/pro level rider for whatever that’s worth 

I’m halfway just being cheeky with this post. 

But at the same same time I guess we should all just ignore the big picture showing proof that this “issue” with flat pedals happened while everything else in the picture appeared to be just ok. But where is the logic in that? Haha 

Sometimes being clipped in messes you up. Sometimes not being clipped in messes you up. There's a chance he would have gone down regardless of pedal choice. Perhaps it would have been worse if he were clipped in. Who knows?

AllI know is that after 10 years of riding clipped in, riding flats makes me feel like I have wings in comparison. Fewer crashes and gobs more confidence. YMMV. Being a pedal evangelist is a good way to get on the ignore list.

• Like 2

Funny, I recently changed things up and moved back to SPDs on my squish. Yep, No issues. Clip out just as easy as if I was riding flats on her again. 

It just isn't an issue for me , Shit happens though on flats, Shit happens in clipless. The hardest thing for me is actually clipping in with my right foot,  not out. But that is just muscle memory and adjustments that I need to figure out. 

If you like clipless, great, If flats work for you great, whatever floats your boat. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

50829569_10157864942351037_2344455379385057280_o-2.jpg

Anyone notice how his helmet slid back after the impact?  That looks like a lot of exposed skull to me if he was still rolling after this picture.  I love the retention system on my Kali helmet but I feel that sometimes it might slide back like this in a big crash.  Maybe this shouldn't be a discussion about flats vs. clips and instead be a discussion about full face vs. half shell for bombing an enduro course?  

Glad that the only injuries he got appear to be superficial.  I think we all have a good scar from something like this.

• Like 1

I remember the days that if you were really into mtb riding you learned to use clipless. End of story.

And if you fell, you fell. End of story.

Today it's like "Flats, clipless, flats, clipless..." before you even get on the bike.

And then of course there's also "9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed, 12-speed...", and of course there's "non-boost, boost... 2.35, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 tires... 26" (God forbid), 27.5, 27.5+", 29", Fattie... 740mm, 760mm, 780mm, 800mm bars... Carbon, aluminium... Single speed, 3/9, 3/10, 3/11, or 2/9, 2/10, 2/11... XC helmet, full face helmet... Pads or no pads... Shorts or tights... And on and on..."

Oy vey.

Edited by RidingAgain

20 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Anyone notice how his helmet slid back after the impact? 

Too many riders don't have their helmet straps adjusted properly. I know I know... the strap bothers my chin, it itches my cheeks whatever. You wear a helmet for a reason if it's improperly fitted there's no point in wearing one. An improperly fitted helmet can actually be worse than not wearing one at all due to the fact that during a crash there is the possibility of it snagging on something and potentially causing a serious neck injury or like in the still shot where he's taking a dirt sample the helmet gets pushed back exposing his forehead. Your helmet should rest just above your eyebrows, your chin strap should be tight enough to only get one finger under it and the retention system should be snug around your head not allowing much movement. It's ironic that we'll spend the extra cash for a MIPS helmet and then proceed to wear it the wrong way. And yes he should absolutely be wearing a full face for this style of riding. It looks like the shoes and pedals held up fine.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, notyal said:

No. We. DON'T!!!

Al Gore invented the Internet for people to have a place to argue about inconsequential stuff.

It is a right and a duty of all 'muricans to argue incessantly from the safety of their computers regardless of whether the computer is a PC, Mac, Tablet, Phone, SmartWatch, etc.

Are you trying to deny people their natural rights?

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bamwa said:

If that dude was clipped in...would he still be attached to the bike?

I dont know if he would still be attached to the bike 4 days later, but he'd probably be at home talking about how awesome of a run down that stage he had. lmao

but seriously though - my honest guess is that if his foot hadn't come off the pedal mid-air, he probably wouldn't have freaked out, or lost body position or his orientation and would landed that drop and finished the stage gracefully... 

as a matter of fact, let me ask him directly what happened and I will update this thread with his side of the story and whether he blames the pedals or not

by the way everyone: I was just being cheeky with this post but holy smokes its easy to pour gas on fires around here! long live bikemojo!

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

by the way everyone: I was just being cheeky with tis post but holy smokes its easy to pour gas on fires around here! long live bikemojo!

It may have come off a tad more "cheeky" had the OP been other than Sir Dropsalot The Frame-Destroyer, aka The Carbon-Punisher, renown as The Champion-of-Clipless-Pedals-for-ALL. :classic_biggrin:

By the way everyone: I was just being cheeky with this post. :classic_dry:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...