IGNORED

school me on modern cranksets

I damaged destroyed the spider on my SLX cranks but the 104 BCD rings I have for it are still good. I'd like to get a new crankset from Shimano or Race Face because I like using Shimano BSA bottom brackets. Shimano has mostly gone to a pointless proprietary asym 4-bolt design, so I am hesitant to do that. Most of the other manufacturers have gone to some sort of DM system.

I was thinking about getting a RD Ride cinch crankset with a RF ring. under $125 online for the whole setup and I have a BB for it already. sound like a good idea?

general questions:

what DM interfaces, if any, are compatible?
what DM cranks/ rings are most common and most affordable?
pros and cons of different DM systems?

I like my RF Aeffect cranks with DM. It makes chain ring sizing much simpler and reduces weight. Most chainring manufacturers make DM rings for these cranks. Pros of DM less weight easier to get chainline correct, cons you have to remove crank arm to swap rings. Unless you go with a system like the Wolftooth camo.

• Like 1

RF aeffect is lighter than 675 slx, uses Shimano BB and can be had for under $100 if you are savvy. Had multiple pair and no complaints.

I usually go to PB classifieds if im being cheap or just grab a new works chainring. Otherwise, MRP & AB chainrings have been good to me.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

If you have BSA, try to avoid the 30mm spindle cranks. It is possible to do BSA with a 30mm spindle but it isn't as clean as a 24mm and bb intended for BSA.

SRAM NX cranks are ~100 bucks but what the fuck is DUB??? Another goddamned standard? fack.

DUB=29.9 not 29.8 or 30 29.9.

• Sad 1

I just got a brand new Aeffect crankset with a 30t ring off ebay for 79.99 (i had a coupon and the seller had them discounted too). I got them because I was looking to get a 104BCD 30t ring and figured I might as well spend a little more and go for something newer that was DM. 

here's who i bought from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Race-Face-Aeffect-CINCH-Crankset-175mm-30t-24mm-Spindle-raceface-68-73/264027136621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1