IGNORED

Are you kidding me?

TheX

I can’t believe it rained last night. Had a ride with a friend planned for rhr ranch Saturday but we changed it to Sunday based on the forecast. I did all my errands and crap Saturday and didn’t ride (he’s a stronger rider and I needed fresh legs) and now looks like I passed up a great day for a no ride day. 

I know I'll be in the minority here, but we all live in the same weather conditions, and we all want to be riding....  

In short though, the roads don't get muddy.  So with all this rain we've had over the past 6 months or more, I've actually 'BUILT' fitness during this time.  And I've had a good time doing it.  Just yesterday I had a killer ride with my youngest son.  We rolled through town to one of his events (on our road bikes).  I dropped him off there, and then went and did hills through Rollingwood and then 360 and such.  After which I swung back by his event and picked him up so that we could ride bike home.  He did close to 20 mi and I did around 42 (w/ 3.5hrs of pedaling).  And if the trails are wet for a few days, I'll happily do something like that again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2105573014

Later,  -CJB

• Like 4

I'm enjoying it! I've spent most of my time practicing manuals. On the BMX I'm using muscles that I just didn't use very much. I hope the payoff will be better control and skills on the mountain bike.
You riding around your hood or over @ Plugerville? There is a pump track that apparently gets no love over at Blockhouse.
I bought a Sunday Model C last yr. Fun thing although I don't ride it nearly as much as I intended. And I was shocked at how exhausting it was and how sore I was after.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheX said:

After my near death Ducati wreck I quit riding on the street. I'll gravel all day long but no roads for me.

Yeah, I completely get that.  In that regard we all have to do (or not) what we feel comfortable with.  And as the city has grown and cell-use has become so much more prevalent, my road appetite has changed and evolved too.  Counterintuitively, I've found myself feeling much more safe riding urban 'commuting' route into town, rather than heading out past the suburbs (especially when riding solo).  On big group rides that usually occur on the weekends, I'm not nearly as bothered with traffic and such.  But I can get 35'ish miles and 2.5 hrs  when riding from my house (near WC) south to downtown and back.  And I feel reasonably safe (for me) the whole time.   YMMV

-CJB

• Like 2

Riding on the road won't be making my list of things to do. The number of variables at play are too staggering to contemplate, plus, the way that over time, as more successful rides are completed, familiarity seems to breed contempt for the risks. 

I won't argue about it with folks anymore. All I have to do is recall two people with whom I had long conversations about how potentially unsafe that type of riding can be. Both of them over a short span of years after our conversations are dead from separate collisions with distracted/blinded motorists while road bicycling.

Everyone has to make their choices in life, you deals the cards and takes your chances.

I'll wait for dry weather as I trust familiar trees, roots, and rocks significantly more than I do exposure to a high number of random (potentially deadly) people in cars that will be encountered on any given road ride.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3