IGNORED

Pay It Forward

Someone contacted me about helping them out with a bike for a teenager they mentor. I've got the Specialized HRXC that I advertised for sale on the Bikes For Sale thread so I'm thinking about it since the size is correct. The mentor is active in trail use (hiking) and maintenance and thinks that the person she wants to give the bike to would take on riding trails. Unfortunately the fork that came with the HRXC isn't very good... Meaning it's Walmart level. The frame is a good hardtail frame though, and I've good the other parts to build it up into a pretty nice HT mtb, but I need a fork.

If anyone has a basic, 1 1/8 straight steerer 26" or 27.5" fork that's sitting around that you would be willing to donate to the build it would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd part, but maybe someone has one...

I'm looking for a non-disc to disc brake frame mount adapter.

Also...

I picked up a Rock Shox Air Judy XC and will be servicing it, if anyone has an old service kit (or Judy parts fork) lying around I'd be interested in it.

And...

Cheap 27.5" rims/wheels.

Thanks.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:56 AM, mack_turtle said:

get ridda stuff you don't want cluttering up your space.

As the OP above indicates, such a thread as this is for generous people who have been the beneficiary of another's kindness to offer up to others as a gift that which they might otherwise sell. Often enough giving again something because something was once given to them.

Pay It Forward defined

A thread built around such a concept would not be the right place to post up asking for specific things. Doing so would be akin to looking the gift horse in the mouth. The one posting such a request is not paying forward.

Perhaps another thread for those seeking such things could be started for folks who are looking for specific charitable freebies from their fellow riders.

(BTW, Kudos to Seth for asking for what he is looking for more effectively, time and again! 👍🥓)

Edited by Ridenfool

I don't mind the "anybody have a..." requests. I'm assuming that the requests are coming from "givers" so their karma is not altered by asking. And by them asking for something that might enable somebody else to enjoy the pleasure of giving. "Hey, I've got one of those in the garage that I'll probably never use, so why not." 

Just my opinion.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

As the OP above indicates, such a thread as this is for generous people who have been the beneficiary of another's kindness to offer up to others as a gift that which they might otherwise sell. Often enough giving again something because something was once given to them.

Pay It Forward defined

A thread built around such a concept would not be the right place to post up asking for specific things. Doing so would be akin to looking the gift horse in the mouth. The one posting such a request is not paying forward.

Perhaps another thread for those seeking such things could be started for folks who are looking for specific charitable freebies from their fellow riders.

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

I'm good with The Tip's response though.

I'd like to say something more about this matter of "Pay It Forward...

Last year the church next door to my apartment complex had a garage sale on a Saturday. I stopped in and saw a cruiser-type bike and a kid's bike that were being sold. Then I looked around some more and found other things that interested me. It was early afternoon and they were kind of getting ready to close things down, so I went an negotiated a great deal for all that I wanted, including the two bikes. The following Tuesday I went to Yellow Bike and donated the two bikes.

Also last year, after dropping of a part for someone on this forum I saw that one of his neignbors had put an old kids bike (along with some old furniture) on the curb for the garbage collector. I stopped, checked out the bike and took it. Then the next day I went out to Yellow Bike and dropped it off.

On another occasion I was driving through an Oak Hill neighborhood and saw another two bikes on the curb. I stopped, picked them up and took them to Yellow Bike.

I've bought a bike for Yellow Bike from a neighbor Goodwill, and even driven all the way to Pflugerville to buy/pick up a bike to give to Yellow Bike.

In the last few weeks I went and bought an old bike from Yellow Bike for $25. I brought it home, took it apart and then donated some of the parts back to Yellow Bike (I really only wanted the frame). Then last week I went and bought an old suspension fork from them for $10. I also picked up a pair of handlebar grips and some other stuff. Total spend was $20. This is for the build I'm doing for the person being mentored.

Last year I also spent many hours cleaning up parts bins at Yellow Bike. And I attended a Tuesday board meeting.

So what's my point?

Yellow Bike provides me with a way to... "Pay It Forward".

Get that?

It facilitates my desire to give something to the community I live in... And as such, I see it as being very valuable to my daily living.

Which is what I think The Tip was saying here... "And by them asking for something that might enable somebody else to enjoy the pleasure of giving."

There can be giving... And then there can be facilitating giving.

And I really hope that some don't try to turn it into some kind of religious monstrosity, full of contrived laws, ordinances, doctrines, traditions regarding what is the proper way to do this.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

I don't mind the "anybody have a..." requests. I'm assuming that the requests are coming from "givers" so their karma is not altered by asking. And by them asking for something that might enable somebody else to enjoy the pleasure of giving. "Hey, I've got one of those in the garage that I'll probably never use, so why not." 

Just my opinion.

So, beggars can be choosers after all?  :classic_wink: Oh goodie!

Does anyone have a Revved Carbon GG Megatrail frame in large (or a full build, I'm not picky) laying around that they would like to pay forward?

Anyone have some I9 hubs (the latest Hydra model) laying around gathering dust? I'm not particular about the color, but would prefer the black ones. If they are already attached to a 27.5+ wheelset with a minimum inner width of 35mm, that would be great!

🤣

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have this BMX bike to pass along. This is really an adult-sized bike. Tall handlebar, chromoly frame, double-wall rims. Needs the following:

Grips

Brake cable and some housing

Rim strips (Gorilla tape would do it)

De-rusting (WD-40 and some aluminum foil works wonders)

Maybe tires and tubes

Hubs/ headset/ BB repacked

If you're going to ride it hard, replace the cranks and pedals.

I was going to clean it up and do the maintenance, but I don't think I am honestly going to make time to do so.

20190421_172107.jpg

20190421_172116.jpg

20190421_172124.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle
Missing words

On 3/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, RidingAgain said:

Odd part, but maybe someone has one...

I'm looking for a non-disc to disc brake frame mount adapter.

Also...

I picked up a Rock Shox Air Judy XC and will be servicing it, if anyone has an old service kit (or Judy parts fork) lying around I'd be interested in it.

And...

Cheap 27.5" rims/wheels.

Thanks.

I may have some of these. They mount to the chainstay or something. 

On 3/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, Ridenfool said:

Pay It Forward defined

(BTW, Kudos to Seth for asking for what he is looking for more effectively, time and again! 👍🥓)

haha heyyyy, hey! don't let me give you the wrong idea I have a pretty damn impressive accumulation of spare stuff that serves me and my buddies pretty often. I have tons of stuff. but when im asking on this forum for something, im usually either in a time pinch or is something oddball-ish that I haven't already been able to locate elsewhere.

ive had good success with this method though!

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

haha heyyyy, hey! don't let me give you the wrong idea I have a pretty damn impressive accumulation of spare stuff that serves me and my buddies pretty often. I have tons of stuff. but when im asking on this forum for something, im usually either in a time pinch or is something oddball-ish that I haven't already been able to locate elsewhere.

ive had good success with this method though!

I was sincerely praising HOW you most often do this by creating a specific thread for your request. 👍

As opposed to when folks are "asking for" in a thread that by title should be more about "offering" things to give away to folks who may want them.

Edited by Ridenfool

pm me if you ant this stuff

stem - Felt 100MM 7 degree 31.8
bars - Giant 690MM flat 31.8

derailleur - Shimano RD-662 9spd
derailleur - Shimano RD-750 9spd
derailleur - SRAM X9 9spd

pedals - Shimano PD-M647

saddle - WTB Pure V SLT

tire -Maxxis Ikon 29 2.2 (60ish miles)

brake - Avid BB5, cable, lever

edit: my wife is going into labor soon. i will put this stuff on my porch

1033 pendragon castle drive. will be in a box on the porch. take what you want

Edited by deadtokevin

10 hours ago, deadtokevin said:

pedals - Shimano PD-M647

saddle - WTB Pure V SLT

tire -Maxxis Ikon 2.2 (60ish miles)

I'll take the pedals - Shimano PD-M647 pedals. I'll DM you

12 hours ago, deadtokevin said:

pedals - Shimano PD-M647

saddle - WTB Pure V SLT

tire -Maxxis Ikon 29 2.2 (60ish miles)

edit: my wife is going into labor soon. i will put this stuff on my porch

1033 pendragon castle drive. will be in a box on the porch. take what you want

I have a very great interest in the WTB Pure V SLT.  I have run these for years on all bikes and they aren't made any more.  I don't know when I could get that far north.  Good luck with the little one.