IGNORED

Pay It Forward

On another forum I run we have a "Free Games and Stuff" forum, where people can start a thread when they want to get rid of some items (usually for the cost of shipping, since it's not a "local" forum).  When someone gets rid of the items, they can update the post that it's gone and it can be locked so it doesn't ride back up.  Thread title will contain the name of the item (or type of items) being given away.  There's a 'Marketplace' group here (with the "Bikes for Sale" and "Bike Components" forums), and we could do a similar thing here.  I don't want to put every thread in "Mountain Biking". 

..Al

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Albert said:

On another forum I run we have a "Free Games and Stuff" forum, where people can start a thread when they want to get rid of some items (usually for the cost of shipping, since it's not a "local" forum).  When someone gets rid of the items, they can update the post that it's gone and it can be locked so it doesn't ride back up.  Thread title will contain the name of the item (or type of items) being given away.  There's a 'Marketplace' group here (with the "Bikes for Sale" and "Bike Components" forums), and we could do a similar thing here.  I don't want to put every thread in "Mountain Biking". 

..Al

Whoa there cowboy. Too much organization flies in the face of the crazy bullshit that we are trying to replicate here. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, deadtokevin said:

3 - 26 x 2.4 Goma's (one like new, 2 in good to decent shape)

2 - 26 x 2.4 ADVantage (both really good shape)

1 - 26 x 2.35 Rockrazor (has a small hole, run a tube or patch, good shape)

I could put those to use. Specifically want the like new Goma and the ADVantages.

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Whoa there cowboy. Too much organization flies in the face of the crazy bullshit that we are trying to replicate here. 

I agree with this - I don't intentionally go looking for stuff, but when I see that the Pay It Forward thread has a new post I go look at it.  Moving it to a different place will result in less activity and eventual disuse.

I actually feel the same way about the sales items.  Look at how often people post to the For Sale forum and then cross post to Voodoo.  Nobody really looks at the sales forum.

But then ... Forum Administration is much like trail building.  If I'm not going to offer to help set up (and I'm not), then I should be happy with the design that you come up with (and I will be).  If you choose to leave a few tree gates along the way, I'll happily live with them.

Thanks for all your work setting this up and getting us moved over!

• Like 2

Once I'm happy with the way the forum is setup, I'm going to promote the forum to attract new members.  I don't really want to see everything in one forum.  I'd like the "Mountain Biking" forum to be primarily about mountain biking in terms of riding.  If you're just looking for (or want to sell) a bike or parts, you can easily go to those forums to find them.  Likewise, if you're looking for trail conditions, going to the Trail Conditions forum and looking for the trail you're interested in will be much easier than looking through a ton of posts in this forum.  Same thing with Off Topic posts.  As the site gets busier, I will have a heavier hand as far as trying to keep things organized.  

With this forum software, it's easy to setup custom "activity streams" that let you see new content in just the forums you want.  

https://austinmountainbiking.com/index.php?/discover/&do=create

Under "Content Types", select "Topics", click the gear icon to the right, then you can select whatever forums you are interested in seeing new content for. 

989599483_ScreenShot2018-08-22at11_08_50AM.png.08b46e3cc1dc018252661fd40480ca1b.png

You can then save this stream and call it whatever you'd like and invoke it again in the future in the Activity drop-down at the top of the page.  And you can bookmark those streams in your browser. 

This forum is pretty simple in terms of organization compared to many forums.  On my AtariAge site, there are over 120 different forums..  There are only 12 here, and I don't expect it to get much more complex than that. 

..Al

• 5 weeks later...

Yay. A PIF thread! I'll join.

Sportworks rack. 1 1/4 hitch. Will throw in 2" adapter. Heavy Duty, steel. Slightly tweaked from getting hit. No loss in integrity. Used for several years since impact. Will fit 29er x 2.35, but gets hard with newer 2.4 and above. ec5f89493b64325a9f69d76ccd25b137.jpgaef7db98944fa597135d239140c23fe6.jpgf8d8e6835a0dd9965c2d8088481768c7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, crazyt said:

Im looking for a BSA hollowtech II compatible bottom bracket and a standard 1 1/8 stem for a standard mountain bike bar.  Any length is probably ok.

I have a couple knock off 35MM stems for 31.8 and some flat 720 or 740 bars for them. Might have a 50MM 

I'm located in Plugerville

edit: I have a 100, 80, 35

Edited by deadtokevin

On 9/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, Shinerider said:

Yay. A PIF thread! I'll join.

Sportworks rack. 1 1/4 hitch. Will throw in 2" adapter. Heavy Duty, steel. Slightly tweaked from getting hit. No loss in integrity. Used for several years since impact. Will fit 29er x 2.35, but gets hard with newer 2.4 and above. ec5f89493b64325a9f69d76ccd25b137.jpgaef7db98944fa597135d239140c23fe6.jpgf8d8e6835a0dd9965c2d8088481768c7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

When you say harder for the 2.4 do you mean it still fits it just takes a bit of muscle or it really does not? Also is the whole thing steel? I may just cut and weld to mod it a bit. I am very interested. I just want to make sure its not a fools errand.

Depends on the tire, but muscle or deflating slightly.  I can measure the front tire ovals for clarification.  Ok, not all is steel, but the front/rear tire trays/holders are steel.  The "yoke" that holds the lower front tire oval is plastic, and the rear tire clamp is plastic.  But, the main structure is steel vs. alum.  You can definitely mod to your heart's content.  I have moved the J-hook that hooks the top of the tire to another set of holes to allow it to be tall enough for 29ers as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Have a pair of cheap jungle boots, size 10W: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FE5QLO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NOTE! These run very large (which is why I'm giving them away) Only worn a few times, NO wear at all. Might have spiders (been in garage a while) Might fit size 11-11,5?

8689e62eb54216d1b2a620fb4356a42c.jpg

So did you cut the body up in little pieces and scatter it across several different plots?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I was hoping for some help with a kids bike I picked up off the curb. It's the perfect size for my oldest daughter who's well on her way to being a future MTB buddy. 🙂 

The bike is intact except for tubes and front axle lock washers. I can track down the tubes but I haven't had luck on the washers. Here is a picture of what I am looking for. TIA!

2018-12-29 14_04_30-Window.jpg