IGNORED

Pay It Forward

I taught myself how to unicycle a few years ago. It was a surreal experience and took about 8 solid hours (spread over many weeks). You have to train your mind and for me it was “nope, nope, nope....boom! Got it!”

It does help with wheelies. Imagine always having to find that balance spot or you’re crashing.

You want to really get pissed off? Get one for your kids and watch how fast they get it. I had 5 in the garage at one time including a 6’ tall giraffe model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wish:

I know this is a shot in the dark, but my buddy Andy at Peddler Bike Shop is recommending I try some handlebars with more of a rise to them to see if that gets me slightly more vertical.  I'm hoping it will lessen my odds of going OTB.   

Does anyone have an extra pair of 35mm bars with 30-45mm rise?   Preferably 780 or wider but I just want to try it out before I buy new handlebars.   I don't even need to keep the bars.  Maybe just borrow and return if you would prefer to have them back?  

Anyone?

Edited by horncpa

14 hours ago, horncpa said:

Wish:

I know this is a shot in the dark, but my buddy Andy at Peddler Bike Shop is recommending I try some handlebars with more of a rise to them to see if that gets me slightly more vertical.  I'm hoping it will lessen my odds of going OTB.   

Does anyone have an extra pair of 35mm bars with 30-45mm rise?   Preferably 780 or wider but I just want to try it out before I buy new handlebars.   I don't even need to keep the bars.  Maybe just borrow and return if you would prefer to have them back?  

Anyone?

Just checked and I have a 10mm rise, 8deg up, 5deg back 760mm bar if you want to borrow it. Nothing so vertical, however.

14 hours ago, horncpa said:

Wish:

Anyone?

The 35mm stem clamp might make this request a bit difficult. Seems people aren't as open to the 35mm clamp as some other bike standards. I run 35 on my bike and have been looking around a bit for bars with more sweep but there's not much out there that I like.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chief said:

The 35mm stem clamp might make this request a bit difficult. Seems people aren't as open to the 35mm clamp as some other bike standards. I run 35 on my bike and have been looking around a bit for bars with more sweep but there's not much out there that I like.

Yeah it seems like most folks with a 35mm clamp have it because it came on a new bike; so the likelihood of somebody having some laying around is low. Even if somebody swapped out what came on the bike, chances are that would not be more than a 25mm rise - max. @horncpa You might want to seek out somebody who has a 31.5mm clamp stem with accompanying high-rise bars you could borrow - probably a better chance of success there.    

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chief said:

RaceFace makes a 35mm with a 35mm rise, but they are not wildly available. My guess is that you can get them but that you'll probably have to special order it, so there goes getting a great deal or having one to demo. 

Maybe Amazon can get you a cheap one to try out. Spend $40 to find out if that is the right size. Then go invest in a real one.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 1

I trust Andy knows what he's talking about as he was my most influential mentor a few years ago. I'm not sure if high-rise stems with modern short reaches will be easy to find though. a handlebar is the right way to do this in that case. and if you're making a significant change to the position of your controls, you might pull your cables and hoses short to get there.

Edited by mack_turtle

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, horncpa said:

Wish:

Anyone?

risers can make you more comfortable, but dont think they have much to do with going OTB.

For going OTB you have to get your butt back. Behind the seat can even be touching your wheel. Dropper posts mainly help by allowing you to get the seat out of the way so you can get your butt back. I prefer to fall off the back vs going OTB.

I should avoid commenting on the specifics of anyone's bike fit without seeing them in person, on the bike. getting your hands higher and closer to your shoulders might help and it might not. a shorter stem might also help. maybe the frame is actually too small for you. too many variables to make a useful point online. my office is always open if someone wants a somewhat more informed opinion for free.

11 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I should avoid commenting on the specifics of anyone's bike fit without seeing them in person, on the bike. getting your hands higher and closer to your shoulders might help and it might not. a shorter stem might also help. maybe the frame is actually too small for you. too many variables to make a useful point online. my office is always open if someone wants a somewhat more informed opinion for free.

So you are good at bike fit?  Just want to make sure that is what I am reading.

I have gotten very good at fitting myself on my bike. I'd like the opportunity to help others apply what I have learned. just an informed amateur's perspective. most people seem to just set up their bikes for what's "comfortable" or what some roadie-inspired advice makes sense and not for what really works on a mountain bike.