IGNORED

Pay It Forward

14 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Everyone I know who has times (road and mtb) love them. That's why I'm curious. I've always been a SPD guy with no knee issues, so I'm happy. But maybe I could be happier?

Not in my opinion. Lotta great aspects of times - bigger platform, mud/debris clearing, float - but I found them incredibly inconsistent. For mtb, pedal bars would deform and cleats wear quickly so they were never reliable. Get new cleats and they’d be great for weeks... Went back to SPDs and my XTs have been consistent, reliable, and durable. YMMV

I’ll try the ATAC XS pedals then. Leave the other two for the other guys to have as backups. [mention]AustinBike [/mention] if you have cleats I’ll take ‘em. As it’s a completely unnecessary experiment, I have no desire to invest in it. I’ve still got some stuff laying around here I need to PIF, so stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ssorgs said:

Not in my opinion. Lotta great aspects of times - bigger platform, mud/debris clearing, float - but I found them incredibly inconsistent. For mtb, pedal bars would deform and cleats wear quickly so they were never reliable. Get new cleats and they’d be great for weeks... Went back to SPDs and my XTs have been consistent, reliable, and durable. YMMV

My mileage do not vary from this statement.

I started on Shimanos. I just wanted to try something different so got some egg beaters. Then, tried Times largely on the local hype on Mojo. They were way better than the Crank Bros, but I had the cleat wear issue and had a lot of unintentional releases due to rock strikes. When I went back to SPDs, I had to wonder why I spent years on anything else. 

• Like 4

i have times as well, they are fine, a lot more flexible foot positioning. But I also didnt have problems with spd. I always set as loose as possible and dont mind if my foot pops out.

the downside of times is that when I travel I cant use my shoes on random bikes that usually have spd. When people come to visit they cant just ride my bikes as is because their shoes are set for SPD.

7 hours ago, crazyt said:

i have times as well, they are fine, a lot more flexible foot positioning. But I also didnt have problems with spd. I always set as loose as possible and dont mind if my foot pops out.

the downside of times is that when I travel I cant use my shoes on random bikes that usually have spd. When people come to visit they cant just ride my bikes as is because their shoes are set for SPD.

I solved this by hanging onto my old 959’s for visitors. For travel I just bring some times with me. If I wanted to, I could just put some SPD cleats on an old pair of shoes. I can ride SPDs for a weekend with no issue, but longer than that my knees start to hurt. If I know it will be a long trip I bring times. Just gotta remember to take them off the bike when you are done. Luckily I decided to change into clean clothes or I would have been on the road last time and left my pedals on the rental bike. Guy ran out to the parking lot with them. 
and I also have a couple pairs of flats because you never know.

I could post my own thread as it’s not asking for a give away, but I’ll try here.

Anyone have a spare 29er boost rear wheel I could borrow? Preferably:
-six bolt disc
-sram xd cassette driver

I need to send mine in for a rebuild. I love my i9’s but apparently earlier on they had some issues with spoke wind up during the initial build which led to detentions spokes later. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk