IGNORED

Fanny packs

Not using one, but some of the people I ride with like them. I'll be following this thread.

This one interests me: https://www.jensonusa.com/Dakine-Hot-Laps-2L-Field-Camo-One-Size?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMDiBRDNARIsACKP1FGtCOLLskPEp0H8VwAVSCYuaOaTmMoGuH335RwcD717cEGb4g6TGD8aAhBCEALw_wcB

I'd like something small for riding walnut. I have a dropper on the singlespeed I use there, so a saddle pack does not work well. Only need one bottle so I do not need a full pack. Just need some small tools, a tube and somewhere to stash a phone and keys.

I bought the camelbak lr4 and I’ve only used it once so far due to one design issue I haven’t found a solution to. (I also haven’t searched the web just yet so there could be a viable one). The specs say it fits up to a 40 inch waist, and while I’m not that out of shape, I’m probably closer to 36/37.  The belt fits just fine, but the stock mouth piece holder is on one side of the pack from where the bladder straw comes out. I’m not even sure a 20 inch waist would be able to hook it into the holder since the bladder straw is pretty short. 

I’d be willing to bet there’s some sort of work around, but it seems pretty silly they would make the belt go to larger widths and not think about the placement of that straw holder. 

I do hope I can find a solution as I did like having the weight of my water lower which seemed to help with stability when riding. 

I just started using the Dakine Hot Laps 2L this past summer. It isn't hydration specific but it does have a secure water bottle loop. As someone who hasn't worn a fanny back since I was in Disney World in 1992 I freaking love it. Depending on whether I am on my HT of FS. It carries all my tools, spares, cell, keys and 1 water bottle. My riding has changed a lot since moving here and I do a lot of out-and-back from my car so tanking up with fresh water isn't a problem. I've completely stopped using my 15 year old Hydration back unless I'm in an area where I need 3L of water. 

167862928_2019-01-2907_56_39-Window.jpg.709e03f2549a08906c7e906e03629364.jpg

Edited by RedRider3141

I'm looking at the Dakine 2L and 5L. I've got bottle cages and no problem using them, but with the dropper I've lost the seat bag and would love a quick grab and go for short rides. So not sure I need the 5L with a hydration bladder if with the 2L I could carry 2-3 bottles with the cages and bag.  But yeah, trying to move away from the big hydration pack for rides less than 3 hrs.

For short rides and on cool days when I don't have to gulp water the whole time, I started using a "runner's belt". It does not hold water, but it is padded, disappears under my jersey, and holds my phone, ID, a multi-tool, tire repair and chain bits. I can carry to water bottles on my frame and a Back Bottle in my jersey pocket. Pump is strapped to the frame. Or I put all that in a Jandd frame bag.

If it's hot or a longer ride, I go to my Osprey 3L backpack.

I got the Dakine 5L pack last summer.  The 1st couple rides it was odd but I quickly got used to it.

It got that heat off my back in the summer-major plus. The bladder and bite valves are from the same company and same quality that Osprey uses. 

It holds 2 liters, and has an internal baffle that keeps the liquid from sloshing back and forth.  

Also the pocket for storage and the pocket for the bladder are separate with their own separate zippers. So unlike some other brands,, I can pull my bladder out and not have to jack around with the main storage area getting in the way. 

I have enough storage for my tools, a snack and keys and my Note phone 

I really like it a lot. 

11 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Who is running one of the MTB focused fanny hydration packs? Trying to decide if it is worth the $40-$60 price for a starter one to give it a shot. 

Is it just a more secure way to carry than just stuffing your jersey pockets?

Alternatively, if you tried and didn't like, I'll buy your lightly used gear.

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

My riding has changed a lot since moving here and I do a lot of out-and-back from my car so tanking up with fresh water isn't a problem. I've completely stopped using my 15 year old Hydration back unless I'm in an area where I need 3L of water. 

167862928_2019-01-2907_56_39-Window.jpg.709e03f2549a08906c7e906e03629364.jpg

18 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I got the Dakine 5L pack last summer.  The 1st couple rides it was odd but I quickly got used to it.

It got that heat off my back in the summer-major plus. The bladder and bite valves are from the same company and same quality that Osprey uses. 

It holds 2 liters, and has an internal baffle that keeps the liquid from sloshing back and forth.  

Also the pocket for storage and the pocket for the bladder are separate with their own separate zippers. So unlike some other brands,, I can pull my bladder out and not have to jack around with the main storage area getting in the way. 

I have enough storage for my tools, a snack and keys and my Note phone 

I really like it a lot. 

Pretty much this.

I have to drive to all of my trails and because of that, I dont need as much water. Switched to a Dakine sweeper a couple years ago and wont go back to a full pack. The only time we use a full pack is an all day ride where i have to carry food for both my wife and I, or something out of state where we have to grind 3k feet on a fire road and can just carry all of our gear in the pack until it's time to bomb the downhill. Have to agree 100% on not having that stupid, hot, heavy pack strapped to my back when riding. The hippers are still something you have to adjust your riding to but, way better than raising your COG even further with the other. 

Ive carried a full bladder of water, windbreaker, basic tools, bars and car keys in the small 1.4L sweeper. If you need more space, use the side pouch to carry a small water bottle to put tubes etc in. I actually cut the water bottle pocket out of mine to add additional internal space. IMHO, it didn't make any sense to downsize to a hip pack, unless I was buying the smallest one available.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sale/new-sale-arrivals/sale-new-backpacks/sweeper-waist-hydration-pack-backpack/

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dakine--sweeper-waist-hydration-pack--16975583

One in blue (rare-ish)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dakine-Sweeper-Waist-Pack-Hydration-Pack-NEW-Color-Blue/254092652485?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dec854477ae8641589ba9a068f55e53a3%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D254092652485%26itm%3D254092652485&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab86191c9-23dc-11e9-a276-74dbd180c689|parentrq%3A9a4836861680ab1cb6336315ffed668b|iid%3A1

Edited by ATXZJ

12 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

The Osprey Savu (2 bottles) and Seral (1,5L bladder) look like they are in the same category and price range as the Dakine.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/savu-SAVU_690.html

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/seral-with-1-5l-reservoir-SERAL_115.html

Wondering as well about the Camelpack Repack - https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Repack-LR-4

$40 on Jenson. They all just seem so dang big. Maybe they just take pictures of them on small guys.

7 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Wondering as well about the Camelpack Repack - https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Repack-LR-4

$40 on Jenson. They all just seem so dang big. Maybe they just take pictures of them on small guys.

Sweeper is your friend. You can check mine out if you want. I (think) rugger also bought one a ways back too.

Don't forget to check running and paddleboarding packs ETC. They're much smaller

Edited by ATXZJ

Just now, RedRider3141 said:

The other thing I'll add is that I used to be a bladder guy and now I am 100% bottles for most of my riding. I love the simplicity of throwing them in the dishwasher vs cleaning my bladder and letting it dry. 

Years ago I went Water Only for the bladder and run the electrolite stuff only in bottles for just this reason. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Years ago I went Water Only for the bladder and run the electrolite stuff only in bottles for just this reason. 

I carry the electrolyte tablets (Nuun or Hammer's equal) and break them in half at a stop, toss one half tab in my mouth and sip water while it dissolves.

Have avoided mandatory bladder cleaning for years by running only water.

Edited by Ridenfool

So Matt, do you have a system that already works for you but adding the dropper post has changed things up now?  I sorta gather that the issue may be dropper-saddle bag related?

If this is the case then what about a different type of saddle bag?  There are quite a few minimalist under seat type systems for carrying stuff (that is dropper post compatible)

http://www.zefal.com/en/bags/362-z-micro-pack.html

https://www.amazon.com/Speedsleev-Seatsleev-nylon-orange-small/dp/B01GQWH9Q8/ref=pd_sbs_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GQWH9Q8&pd_rd_r=314314bd-23ea-11e9-9ef7-8b5dde2c9ca4&pd_rd_w=MM8mA&pd_rd_wg=S9L8u&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=BJ3YYP10Q51W0C0HNAER&psc=1&refRID=BJ3YYP10Q51W0C0HNAER

I myself am about to add bottle cage mounts to the underside of my downtube on my Stache.  My plan is to put all my saddle bag contents into a split bottle system and carrying it down there.  I'd like to get the extra weight down low and a bit outa the way.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

So Matt, do you have a system that already works for you but adding the dropper post has changed things up now?  I sorta gather that the issue may be dropper-saddle bag related?

If this is the case then what about a different type of saddle bag?  There are quite a few minimalist under seat type systems for carrying stuff (that is dropper post compatible)

http://www.zefal.com/en/bags/362-z-micro-pack.html

https://www.amazon.com/Speedsleev-Seatsleev-nylon-orange-small/dp/B01GQWH9Q8/ref=pd_sbs_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GQWH9Q8&pd_rd_r=314314bd-23ea-11e9-9ef7-8b5dde2c9ca4&pd_rd_w=MM8mA&pd_rd_wg=S9L8u&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=BJ3YYP10Q51W0C0HNAER&psc=1&refRID=BJ3YYP10Q51W0C0HNAER

I myself am about to add bottle cage mounts to the underside of my downtube on my Stache.  My plan is to put all my saddle bag contents into a split bottle system and carrying it down there.  I'd like to get the extra weight down low and a bit outa the way.

Later, -CJB

Ultimately, yeah, mostly just looking for a nice secure place to hold the small collection of junk I always take on a ride - tool, tube, co2(2), micropump. The contents of my old saddle bag. I can carry one bottle in the frame and one on the body, and phone on the body.  Alternatively I could just keep using a pencil case in the jersey pocket, but would kinda like to get some out of jersey pockets.  

The Milk$$ is pretty tight on frame space to put the tool stuff, and while I do have a set of cage mounts on the DT, I feel meh about a cage there. 

Also, while 2 bottle is enough this time of year for a 2ish hour ride, having a bladder might be better for the same 2hrs this summer. 

I have been trying an Ultimate Direction Gemini waist pack I bought off CL. It holds two bottles plus has medium-large compartment for your stuff. I have had only a few rides with it, and I liked it more often than I didn’t. You are welcome to try it.

0012165ed076070848d26a19c9a925d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

For short rides and on cool days when I don't have to gulp water the whole time, I started using a "runner's belt". It does not hold water, but it is padded, disappears under my jersey, and holds my phone, ID, a multi-tool, tire repair and chain bits. I can carry to water bottles on my frame and a Back Bottle in my jersey pocket. Pump is strapped to the frame. Or I put all that in a Jandd frame bag.

If it's hot or a longer ride, I go to my Osprey 3L backpack.

My wife has a runner's belt that she no longer uses. The pockets are not zip pockets and I am not sure I am comfortable with my keys being in something that does not zip. Do you have zippers on yours or is it just a foldover that supposedly keeps things in place?

37 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

My wife has a runner's belt that she no longer uses. The pockets are not zip pockets and I am not sure I am comfortable with my keys being in something that does not zip. Do you have zippers on yours or is it just a foldover that supposedly keeps things in place?

Yeah, that sounds like a terrible idea. Mine is just a large, flat, neoprene fanny pack with two pockets that zip closed.

https://www.amazon.com/YesGear-Ultimate-Neoprene-Fanny-Travel/dp/B07CG686D6

44 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Found this while researching: http://backcountryresearch.com

If you want minimalist, this is it. A friend from San Antonio was using one on his Transition and he really liked it.

My observation on these straps which are offered in different forms by several companies, is how the tube is bound to accumulate trail debris as it is tossed by the tires. Who wants to spend extra time cleaning the tube before using it so that the attached grit doesn't puncture it when inflated? Particularly a consideration for a racer (which I'm not), where time spent on the repair is likely a more important commodity than an extra ounce of fabric would be. Not to mention the long term effect of rubber being exposed to sunlight/UV if you seldom need it.

I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a spare tube, levers, and patch kit on the bike, rather than in the pack. Only, I'd want to put it inside something that will preserve it better for long term protection from the elements and still provide for easy deployment when needed. The same "minimalist" strap around a light pouch for the above compliment of tools/spares would seem more optimal toward meeting the goal.

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Yeah, that sounds like a terrible idea. Mine is just a large, flat, neoprene fanny pack with two pockets that zip closed.

https://www.amazon.com/YesGear-Ultimate-Neoprene-Fanny-Travel/dp/B07CG686D6

Turns out there is a key clip in there just like on my osprey, so the keys would not fall out. Runners swear by it, might try it at Walnut a few times.