IGNORED

Fanny packs

Thinking about how often I've been frustrated getting to something in the pack (food, phone, fizz, etc.) and having to undo two buckles, remove the pack, and all that hassle, the idea of sliding a hip pack around and having both hands free really appeals to me.

So, I've ordered the Osprey Seral after much deliberation between it and the Dakine Hot Laps 5L, whose 2L bladder was attractive over the 1.5 on the Seral. In the end, like AB states, I figured that my Raptor's 3L bladder is there for longer rides and 1.5L is more than enough for most rides.

The other advantage of the Seral over the Hot Laps are the side pockets, of which there are two, and they appear deeper and easier to access than the  one on the Dakine. I know I've liked having these on the Raptor for small, often accessed items.

915ODDAX4bL._SL1500_.jpg

One thing the Dakine had that is absent from the Seral are external straps for stowing a jacket, removed layer, etc. I'm hoping that there will be room inside the Seral to stow those things on the rare occasions that is needed.  After speaking with Mike at Osprey about this he suggested loosening the compression straps on each side might allow tucking something like that in securely. We'll see!

Edited by Ridenfool

3 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

My observation on these straps which are offered in different forms by several companies, is how the tube is bound to accumulate trail debris as it is tossed by the tires. Who wants to spend extra time cleaning the tube before using it so that the attached grit doesn't puncture it when inflated? Particularly a consideration for a racer (which I'm not), where time spent on the repair is likely a more important commodity than an extra ounce of fabric would be. Not to mention the long term effect of rubber being exposed to sunlight/UV if you seldom need it.

I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a spare tube, levers, and patch kit on the bike, rather than in the pack. Only, I'd want to put it inside something that will preserve it better for long term protection from the elements and still provide for easy deployment when needed. The same "minimalist" strap around a light pouch for the above compliment of tools/spares would seem more optimal toward meeting the goal.

I have 2 of the BR straps.  I love them for race day, but with an exposed tube, it's going to degrade.  I guess Stan's means we don't get to use those spare tubes often, but when I eventually did, my tube was rotted.  The dirt in there is not that big a deal, though it is something extra to clean.  I've gone back to a saddle bag, but I'd consider the frame mount instead since it's a bit more guarded.

Edited by AntonioGG
do-->though (what's wrong with me?!)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Found this while researching: http://backcountryresearch.com

If you want minimalist, this is it. A friend from San Antonio was using one on his Transition and he really liked it.

@mattlikesbikes this is what I was looking to highlight earlier.  This company has some great ideas for those of us who like to go minimal and eschew camelbacks.

My observation on these straps which are offered in different forms by several companies, is how the tube is bound to accumulate trail debris as it is tossed by the tires. Who wants to spend extra time cleaning the tube before using it so that the attached grit doesn't puncture it when inflated? Particularly a consideration for a racer (which I'm not), where time spent on the repair is likely a more important commodity than an extra ounce of fabric would be. Not to mention the long term effect of rubber being exposed to sunlight/UV if you seldom need it.

I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a spare tube, levers, and patch kit on the bike, rather than in the pack. Only, I'd want to put it inside something that will preserve it better for long term protection from the elements and still provide for easy deployment when needed. The same "minimalist" strap around a light pouch for the above compliment of tools/spares would seem more optimal toward meeting the goal.

The backcountryreasearch people have a tube cover for just the reason you mention.  Alternatively it wouldn't be much to place the tube in a bag of some sort before wrapping it up on the minimalist system.

Like I said earlier, I've got a water bottle that I cut in half that I can put tube & tool stuff inside.  Then my plan will be to place this on a downtube bottle cage.  However, I think I may order up on of the minimalist setups for my roadie.  I've already got a small seat bag, but I'd like it to even be less.  Thanks for that link AB.

-CJB

• Like 1

There is a whole category of tool kits that fit into bottle cages. Stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFDS39S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07GFDS39S&pd_rd_w=QEXqX&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=6k195&pf_rd_r=7AFH8RWK1969K1C4BJ5D&pd_rd_r=19b6f435-24bd-11e9-a6ca-87394bc783d5

Basically, when you ride you have multiple choices:

Bottle cages - but things fly out

Under seat - can get muddy, gets in the way of droppers

On frame - either in a bag or just strapped

Jersey pocket - smaller items can fall out

Belt - space limited

Waist pack - good for small rides

Full pack - good for large rides

For me the answer to all of this is that I need to do a good assessment of what actually needs to be carried and how safe I feel with each of the options. Urban riding is bottles in cages, pump on frame, tools in seat pack, phone in pocket and no keys. Long rides are everything in the camelback. It is the intermediate rides (mostly WC on the singlesepeed) where I need to determine the optimal cargo configuration.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, AustinBike said:

It is the intermediate rides (mostly WC on the singlesepeed) where I need to determine the optimal cargo configuration.

This. I've got trails right out my door (almost). But for 1-2hr SS rides where if shit really hit the fan mechanical wise, I am a short walk home, i don't need all the everything (which is in my going to the BCGB backpack).  

Maybe the best bet is to get out the sewing machine and just make another tiny frame bag for tools and stick with bottles. 

• Like 1