IGNORED

New Concrete Path across creek in Roy Guerrero park

Albert

For those who ride the Hike & Bike path downtown and like to connect it to the Southern Walnut Creek Trail, you probably know that a bridge was washed out a while ago that made this more difficult to do.  Recently someone told me about a crossing further up the creek that you could ride, saving you from having to venture onto city streets. 

Yesterday I was riding through the park and noticed the city has now put down a concrete path  across this creek, which should make it easier to traverse when wet.  If you're not sure where this is, after you take the tunnel near the dam to enter Roy Guerrero park, follow the crushed granite trail on the left and keep going towards where the old bridge was located. Then follow the sidewalk along the parking lot, and continue as it turns back into a natural trail.  Follow this for a ways, and on the left you will eventually encounter this crossing.  After going across, you can then follow it back to the opposite side of the (now missing) bridge crossing.  

RoyGuerreroPath.thumb.jpg.cdef7a93ecc2b0995d5665a9b34acbaf.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

Albert any changes to the bridge over the river or the path to 5th & shady lane intersection from the 183 construction?

Ahh, glad you mentioned that!  I completely forgot they were working on this area when I was doing my loop, and was surprised to see that the Montopolis Bridge is now closed to vehicular traffic.  But the narrow pedestrian walkway is still open and connected to the concrete trail on both sides, so you can still ride over the bridge. 

image.thumb.png.63dbe7bc00c506b7878fb3fa57780bb5.png

They've ripped up all the pavement before and after the bridge.  Will be nice when this is finished and you can bike over the center of the bridge.  

Nothing has changed as far as the path by 5th and Shady Lane.  Are they going to be making improvements in this area?  Would be nice if there was a more discrete path along Shady Lane up to Govalle Park.  

..Al

• Like 3

They've ripped up all the pavement before and after the bridge.  Will be nice when this is finished and you can bike over the center of the bridge.  
Nothing has changed as far as the path by 5th and Shady Lane.  Are they going to be making improvements in this area?  Would be nice if there was a more discrete path along Shady Lane up to Govalle Park.  
 ..Al

Thanks! Yeah a 2 lane bike/ped bridge will be interesting! I haven’t read anything about changes to Shady Lane. Would be nice if they painted some bike lanes and at least add some bike route signage to show users how to connect TLHBT to NWC trail. Probably need an update to the COA bike map.

Been too many years since I’ve kept track of who is on the COA bike advisory board. Now that I don’t bike to downtown for work I kinda stopped keeping up the last 5-6 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Yes, I have done a few big loops around the city using WCSouth, and getting from Ladybird Lake to Govalle Park is always sketchy.i have been doing it from Longhorn Dam (Pleasant Valley Bridge) but I'll go through Roy G first and try Shady Lane next time.

To me the only sketchy part is the weird 3-way intersection at airport. Outside of that the rest is a breeze, I go through there all the time.

There is talking about making the 3 way intersection better. But with anything related to government - don't expect anything to happen quickly. I have been hearing about improvements for at least 2 years. After someone was hit and injured at that intersection, the talking became more serious.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

To me the only sketchy part is the weird 3-way intersection at airport. Outside of that the rest is a breeze, I go through there all the time.

I agree, and even that intersection isn't bad, and I've also been through it many times in both directions.  Shady Lane is fine, but it is narrow when there are cars parked along both sides of it (which usually isn't the case when I'm going through there).  

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Yes, I have done a few big loops around the city using WCSouth, and getting from Ladybird Lake to Govalle Park is always sketchy.i have been doing it from Longhorn Dam (Pleasant Valley Bridge) but I'll go through Roy G first and try Shady Lane next time.

After the bridge collapsed and I took the long way around a few times (along Riverside), I started going over the dam as well and along Pleasant Valley a short bit, turning right on 2nd and then left on Tiffany to head towards Govalle.  That section along Pleasant Valley is terrible for bikes, so I'm glad I now have a much better alternative. 

Albert, how was route from terminus of SWC bike path to Walnut Creek park? I’ve often wanted to find a decent way there for a loop but nothing looks that safe on maps. So, I usually back track down SWC path to the Y and then take 51st to airport and then Northloop back to Shoalcreek. However, there is no way currently to cross 183 at 51st. They are building a pedestrian and bike bridge there that will be nice. And, 51st is protected bike lane.

You can look at my Strava track here: 

https://www.strava.com/activities/2110059778

The route I've been taking lately from the end of the Southern Walnut Creek Trail to Walnut Creek is not ideal.  Here's what I wrote in another post here: 

I go west along 290 to Cross Park, make my way to Rutherford, then north to Rundberg Lane east of 35.  I then go west across Rundberg until I hit Parkfield, go north until it ends, then right onto Bittern Hollow.  Rundberg is a terrible road, especially the area around I-35 and Lamar.  

It'll be great when that gap is turned into an actual trail, but that's not going to happen for some time. 

..Al

10 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

The Cameron/Dessau route looks like it has sidewalk the whole way from 183 to Parmer to Yeager then to tech ridge, going over I-35. Has anyone ever tired that?

Yes, I've done this many times, but not recently.  Here's my typical route: 

• 290 West after exiting from Southern Walnut Creek Trail
  • Right onto Crosspark
  • Right onto Cameron Road
  • Left onto Shropshire Blvd
  • If the trail is dry, I'll usually go up the trail in Copperfield Park that begins right near the entrance to Shropshire.  You can take this or Shropshire all the way to Yager Lane. 
  • Left onto Yager Lane. This is the only really sketchy part about this route. 
  • Left onto Tech Ridge Blvd
  • After I-35, I enter the Courtyard hotel parking lot on the right.  I then ride behind all these buildings until I reach Indian Mound Dr.  
  • Left onto Indian Mound
  • Cross Lamar, continuing on Indian Mound
  • Right onto Chimney Rock
  • Left onto Willow Bend
  • Right onto Cedar Bend
  • Enter Walnut Creek on left after you go down the hill. 

I'll probably try this again the next time I do this loop (which may be tomorrow morning) since I haven't taken this route in some time.  I've done it in either direction, depending on my mood.  

..Al

I rode this route again yesterday in the opposite direction, and this time I took the Cameron / Dessau route: 

https://www.strava.com/activities/2127144926 

I didn't ride the trail that runs parallel to Shropshire since I was on my hybrid with skinnier tires and everything was damp earlier in the day. 

I had to delay my ride by an hour, as when I went to put air in my front tire, I broke the stem. And it turns out the two spare tubes I had in my CamelBak were for my CX bike, so too small and those stems were not tall enough to reach through the rims.  Had to run to BSS to buy more, then return to Walnut.  During my ride I had my rear wheel pop off!  Fortunately I noticed this while sitting at a light waiting to cross Cameron, and that was after barreling down the hill to get there..  Lost one of my axle springs in the grass while fixing that. And I was going to add some optional stuff for more mileage, but the above things combined with a 20 minute phone call I had to take during the ride meant I was hurriedly making my way back to Walnut before the sun set!!  /bitchmoanwhine 

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

Used the new low water crossing in Guerrero Park this morn. Thanks Albert!

Going from SWC trail when you turn left off shady lane onto the bike path on 5th at the spot you cross over 5th on the bike path there’s a big “sidewalk closed” sign. Went around it to check out the bridge construction and there’s nothing closed. Still able to cross on the old bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

Used the new low water crossing in Guerrero Park this morn. Thanks Albert!

Great, glad you found it useful, I know I did!

8 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

Going from SWC trail when you turn left off shady lane onto the bike path on 5th at the spot you cross over 5th on the bike path there’s a big “sidewalk closed” sign. Went around it to check out the bridge construction and there’s nothing closed. Still able to cross on the old bridge.

Yeah, I think that sign was there when I last rode it, not sure why that's there.  There's no such signage coming the other way from the Guerrero Park (or at least, there wasn't).  

..Al

Just now, Chongo Loco said:

Yep. At 51st St over to the Y and should link into the SWC trail spur in the Y parking lot. Mostly done, just needed railing it looked like. 

Nice, I've only ridden up to the YMCA once, when the trail initially opened.  Will have to go take a look next time I'm out there.

..Al