IGNORED

Favorite Non-Water

I've been on the Keto no-carbs no-sugars thing for a year now.  Thus, I've had to figure out my non-water strategy.  I've tried a few different things and this is what I've settled on lately.  Its actually pretty dang tasty (close to a less sugary gatorade) and is fairly cost effective for my use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX9U7WM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-CJB

Nuun and Hammer Nutrition Fizz tablets for maintaining electrolytes.

I like the tablet delivery method as they:

• come in a tube that is easy to pack and protects the tabs from damage and humidity
  • are scribed for breaking in half easily
  • can be dissolved in the mouth while sipping water from a hydration pack during any short break in a ride

I'll usually have a small squeeze bottle with some flavor of Hammer Gel, for energy in a form that doesn't cause a rapid sugar spike and crash. I have a bottle of Peanut Butter flavor on order.

Post-ride, a scoop of Hammer Nutrition Chocolate Recoverite with a scoop of Lloyd's of Leadville CBD Protien powder mixed in a few ounces of water.

Then beer. For medicinal purposes only, of course. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Haha 1

For intense hydration needs, like during hot summer rides of a normal duration, I prefer the formulations that are intended to be iso-osmotic. Their goal isn't to fuel you with carbs, their goal is to have a solution that transports fluid through the intestinal wall as easily as possible. Osmo has worked really well for me in the past and I tried a new one last summer but I'm pretty sure it was trying to kill my kidneys. After several days of using it my kidney area started to hurt more and more until I wasn't able to ride trail (after riding TO the trail) because the bouncing and movement was excruciating. Stopped using the powder and the pain went away. I think it is called NBS Nutrition.

I'm no endurance athlete like dragon slayer/EB types though. They seem to use more advanced strategies which do include liquid calories for super long rides.

Usually just use water plus a PBJ if I am out long enough to need calories.

I'm of the understanding that it isn't an electrolyte imbalance that causes cramps but I do know that it is important to replenish.

• Like 1

Skratch Labs for me
The hydration mixes. No stomach issues . Less bonk than water. I don’t feel as wiped out after a hot summer ride as I do on water or some other mixes I have tried
I personally don’t care for the tablets
Good taste and decent price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Skratch Labs's hydration line of products as well, but I notice when I take a drink I want another drink really soon.  Maybe it's the aftertaste, or something?  Whatever it is, I end up going through my coolant supply more quickly than I actually need to.  When I pack only water, though, it is much easier for me to control my intake, and only drink when I think need it.  Also, I don't know if I believe there is anything is better than good ol' water.  At least, not for me at my current level of (decidedly low) performance.

-cls

Water for 1hr rides some of the time.  Mostly Infinit custom year round.  Lower sodium mix in the winter, high sodium in the summer. Both with protein.  Every 3rd bottle (i.e. every 3rd hour) with high sodium and no protein.  I had to go to reduced sodium in the winter since I was finishing rides heavier than when I started them due to water retention.   I can do no-protein for short rides (3hrs or less) but definitely need protein for longer than 3 hour rides.  I tired Nuun a while back but I kept getting the runs.  They used to be made with Sorbitol which acts like a laxative for some people (so do a lot of the Mangnesium salts like Oxide, so watch out for high Magnesium content mixes). Apparently Nuun are no longer made with Sorbitol.  Usually on 100+ mile rides, I'll do a half PB&J an hour or two from the finish.  Mostly for psychological reasons.

• Like 1

I keep my stuff simple. Just like my brain! Just water for anything 1 1/2 hrs or under! If slightly over I toss in a cheap heb fruit and nut granola bars for the mix of simple and more complex carbohydrates. If there is a 3+ hour day I add PBJ sandwiches and oatmeal cream pies to the mix! Post ride during race weekend I pound a chocolate milk and Gatorade, then of course a beer or two for good health! Nothing but h20 hits my hydration pack! 

#mid-pack athlete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Skratch Labs for me
The hydration mixes. No stomach issues . Less bonk than water. I don’t feel as wiped out after a hot summer ride as I do on water or some other mixes I have tried
I personally don’t care for the tablets
Good taste and decent price

Ditto.  SKRATCH for me.  We ended up with some samples after volunteering at the Telluride 100.  It's the official hydration drink at that race. 

It works incredibly well when it's hot, hot, hot.  You can get various formulations (more sodium, less sodium, caffeine, etc.)  Just checked their website: they have regular activity, sport, wellness (a rehydration formula for seriously dehydrated adults and children), and hyper hydration formula. 

When it heats up again, I'm going to try Tailwind, which is all carb (glucose/sucrose),  some sodium.  Developed by a Colorado endurance athlete.  

3 hours ago, MrTheCatLady said:

I like Skratch Labs's hydration line of products as well, but I notice when I take a drink I want another drink really soon.

If you're inclined to try it again, do a more dilute mix.  It may be that the sodium content is more than your body needs at the moment, especially if it's not very hot.  Or just sip the SKRATCH and follow up with plain water. 

But yeah, the price is right for plain water. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

Warm or hot weather I use Heed or Hammer Fizz on rides up to 2hrs.  Anything over that and I'll add in Perpetum until finish, unless it's a fully supported ride/race then I'll enjoy the occasional BP&J at a rest stop about half way through. 

In the winter I switch to straight water for all rides 3hrs or less. 

For pre-event hydration (or to avoid morning hangovers..) I like Liquid IV   https://liquid-iv.com/products/hydration-multiplier?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMDiBRDNARIsACKP1FHQk4aeYTP7pzGw1u9FLKS6K7Ikp4IY34PovrExlvRh-cBYy19HPP8aApJcEALw_wcB  It really helped last summer in Colorado dealing with the dry air and overindulging post ride.

If you're inclined to try it again, do a more dilute mix.  It may be that the sodium content is more than your body needs at the moment, especially if it's not very hot.  Or just sip the SKRATCH and follow up with plain water. 
Correct .. I've been heavy handed in the scoopage and then I do tend to find my self drinking way more than I normally would.
Diluting helped alot

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

Thanks, @June Bug.  I have a couple bags of the stuff left and would rather not throw it out.  I'll try diluting it more.

-cls

Home made pickle juice here. We eat a lot of pickles here so there is always plenty of the juice left over.  I mix up the ratio to what  I want and top the rest off with regular tap water.  It has worked great for me during the summers and the winters. Food is usually little things like freeze dried fruit and the sort.

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Generally only water. Skratch for the EB and the JF100, but I end up having very little of it in relative terms. Eat a lot of bacon and you get a lot of what you need.

I was introduced to the concept of trail bacon while in Bentonville. Not surprisingly, it's the best trail snack I've ever had.

29 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I was introduced to the concept of trail bacon while in Bentonville. Not surprisingly, it's the best trail snack I've ever had.

Kinda makes ya wonder what a Peanut Butter, Banana and Bacon sandwich might provide. Maybe just peanut butter and banana sandwiched between bacon slices.

Perhaps Crepes Paulette in Bentonville could be coaxed into crafting just such a delicacy wrapped in a crepe for the trail-bound snack seeker.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2