IGNORED

Check out the huge new 2019 release from Guerrilla Gravity!

On 1/31/2019 at 4:55 AM, Seths Pool said:

Hey everyone, check out the huge new release from Guerrilla Gravity! And dont forget to use my BAMF code (BAMF=SethB) for a discount on your purchase!

-300% stronger impact resistance than normal carbon fiber (the demonstration videos were crazy)

-modular front triangle - (you can have all of their bike models with a single front triangle and interchangeable seat stay kits)

-adjustable reach

-totally awesome and they ride amazingly!

Guerrilla Gravity, Pink Bike, Bike Mag, NSMB, and some other big names in the bike world, came down to Texas last week to Spider Mtn, Cat mtn, and RPR for 2019 GG bike testing and were totally stoked on Texas Gnar! Everyone said they were very pleasantly surprised and did not expect to shred in Texas like they did! I was very proud to show them some of what Texas had to offer. 

check out the linked videos for more information.

https://youtu.be/skgzQyReJZU

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/guerilla-gravity-us-made-carbon-frame-smash-trailpistol.html?fbclid=IwAR3ta5VQl9b4WB25sx9xJIJXabh7JV7uuPkiW9QdG_p8ci-UZtIqnMHln9A

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 6.52.27 AM.png

Did you get to ride the trail pistol? I'm thinking real seriously about purchasing one. Want to use it for trail/xc so I'm hoping it's fast and a good climber. 

9 hours ago, LaNada said:

Did you get to ride the trail pistol? I'm thinking real seriously about purchasing one. Want to use it for trail/xc so I'm hoping it's fast and a good climber. 

Trust me, get one

and with the modular frame platform, you essentially have all of their bikes and can decide later if you wanna change to another model!

Edited by Seths Pool

21 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

Trust me, get one

and with the modular frame platform, you essentially have all of their bikes and can decide later if you wanna change to another model!

That is a pretty sweet feature! I like the bikes, but I also just want to support what they're doing. Trying to be a little more intentional about putting my money toward smaller companies that do things with integrity. 

If you are considering a GG bike/frame, here are a few things you should know:

The level of precision and quality adhered to in the aluminum frames is impressive. If they apply this same standard to the carbon frames they will be built really well.

My experience with their customer service has been beyond reproach. From all the questions, ordering, etc, they are fast, friendly and very helpful.

With the one “issue” I’ve had, their warranty process was fast and painless... I had a new part in hand within like 3 days.

This surprised me because my frame took 2 months to receive even though I was told 3 - 4 weeks. Shit happens in small shop manufacturing, but it gave me time to decide I wanted a different decal color than originally ordered.

The really steep seat tube angles they use are a compromise. It works as advertised in keeping the front end more planted on steep climbs, but you may find it more difficult to pop the front end up and over stuff in wheelie like maneuvers. That front end wants to stay planted when seated all the time. This can be tuned by moving the seat back further.

I’ve heard others others complain about stand over clearance. Even with the “humpback” aluminum frame I have never noticed it to be an issue, and I am not a tall long legged dude by any stretch. The carbon frames improve on this anyway.

Unfortunately I have NOT been impressed with the sensitivity of the rear suspension. I ordered with the Rock Shox Super Deluxe and in general when I have the shock set up with the sag/support that I want, the rear end is harsh. If I get rid of the harshness, it’s not supportive enough.

Until I prove otherwise I’m chalking this up to the stock tune of the rear shock and am currently leaning towards a Fox x2 as a replacement for its tunability. The guys at GG generally favor coil on these bikes and I’m staying open to that but like the versatility and ‘pop’ of a good air shock.

There is nothing particularly sophisticated about the kinematics of the GG suspension design. It’s a solid Horst link implementation and works fine, but there are fancier designs being used by other brands that are probably a bit more refined. The main trait that annoys me about the GG Freedom Linkage is the amount of pedal kickback.. there’s a lot. It’s especially noticeable around here if you put some power down though chunkier sections. It works fine overall though.

I greatly prefer the frame in “gravity” mode, even for trail riding. Unfortunately the BB is a bit too low in that mode for me around here. I’m running 165mm cranks and have to be pretty careful with pedaling.. I got a little complacent a couple days ago and had a pretty good high speed pedal strike/ejection.

The angular contact bearings do require attention here and there. You’ll need to maintain their preload and develop a feel for that or you’ll end up with a creaky mess.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ganderson said:

The level of precision and quality adhered to in the aluminum frames is impressive. If they apply this same standard to the carbon frames they will be built really well.

My experience with their customer service has been beyond reproach. From all the questions, ordering, etc, they are fast, friendly and very helpful.

With the one “issue” I’ve had, their warranty process was fast and painless... I had a new part in hand within like 3 days.

This surprised me because my frame took 2 months to receive even though I was told 3 - 4 weeks. Shit happens in small shop manufacturing, but it gave me time to decide I wanted a different decal color than originally ordered.

The really steep seat tube angles they use are a compromise. It works as advertised in keeping the front end more planted on steep climbs, but you may find it more difficult to pop the front end up and over stuff in wheelie like maneuvers. That front end wants to stay planted when seated all the time. This can be tuned by moving the seat back further.

I’ve heard others others complain about stand over clearance. Even with the “humpback” aluminum frame I have never noticed it to be an issue, and I am not a tall long legged dude by any stretch. The carbon frames improve on this anyway.

Unfortunately I have NOT been impressed with the sensitivity of the rear suspension. I ordered with the Rock Shox Super Deluxe and in general when I have the shock set up with the sag/support that I want, the rear end is harsh. If I get rid of the harshness, it’s not supportive enough.

Until I prove otherwise I’m chalking this up to the stock tune of the rear shock and am currently leaning towards a Fox x2 as a replacement for its tunability. The guys at GG generally favor coil on these bikes and I’m staying open to that but like the versatility and ‘pop’ of a good air shock.

There is nothing particularly sophisticated about the kinematics of the GG suspension design. It’s a solid Horst link implementation and works fine, but there are fancier designs being used by other brands that are probably a bit more refined. The main trait that annoys me about the GG Freedom Linkage is the amount of pedal kickback.. there’s a lot. It’s especially noticeable around here if you put some power down though chunkier sections. It works fine overall though.

I greatly prefer the frame in “gravity” mode, even for trail riding. Unfortunately the BB is a bit too low in that mode for me around here. I’m running 165mm cranks and have to be pretty careful with pedaling.. I got a little complacent a couple days ago and had a pretty good high speed pedal strike/ejection.

The angular contact bearings do require attention here and there. You’ll need to maintain their preload and develop a feel for that or you’ll end up with a creaky mess.

Greg

Man, it’s gotta 100% be that rear suspension set up. How tall are you? Do you wanna take my large aluminum smash for a spin? with an X2 rear shock on it, it’s the butteriest plushest tits ride ever. 

Same thing on my V1 megatrail. Also with X2

I also rode one of their smashes at cat mtn when they were down here doing 209 bike testing with a rock shox RC deluxe coil and was impressed also. 

im happy to meet up with you and let you ride mine, it should definitely change your opinion on that. You’ll be happy with X2

Edited by Seths Pool

9 hours ago, Ganderson said:

Greg

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I've read a few other reports of people feeling like their smash is overly harsh. They were riding different air shocks and coil shocks, so I'm not sure your particular shock is the problem. Of course, I've also read many reports of people not feeling that way at all, so hard to say how much of a pattern it is. I like a firm platform with high efficiency but within reason of course. 

I've also been very impressed with their customer service with my various questions. The best I've experienced actually. I'm not sure if I should worry about the frames only having a one year warranty. It would be nice to have longer given it's a brand new technology. Sometimes problems take a while to reveal themselves. If it was another company I would pass due to the warranty issue. Their customer service has been so good though I feel like they would take care of me. That's just a feeling though. 

Man, it’s gotta 100% be that rear suspension set up. How tall are you? Do you wanna take my large aluminum smash for a spin? with an X2 rear shock on it, it’s the butteriest plushest tits ride ever. 
I also rode one of their smashes at cat mtn when they were down here doing 209 bike testing with a rock shox RC deluxe coil and was impressed also. 
im happy to meet up with you and let you ride mine, it should definitely change your opinion on that. You’ll be happy with X2

Thanks Seth!

I’m like 5’7.5” so your large Smash would be huge for me.. I ride a small GG.. medium everything else. No doubt the X2 will be much better, I had the DHX2 on my Nomad and it was great. I like the frame enough to invest a little more to get the rear end dialed in. Been thinking about getting the Super Deluxe tuned also.. I think I’m going to do an 230x65 X2 to run in Megatrail mode and get the RS tuned at some point to have a dialed spare/trail shock.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I've read a few other reports of people feeling like their smash is overly harsh. They were riding different air shocks and coil shocks, so I'm not sure your particular shock is the problem. Of course, I've also read many reports of people not feeling that way at all, so hard to say how much of a pattern it is. I like a firm platform with high efficiency but within reason of course. 

I've also been very impressed with their customer service with my various questions. The best I've experienced actually. I'm not sure if I should worry about the frames only having a one year warranty. It would be nice to have longer given it's a brand new technology. Sometimes problems take a while to reveal themselves. If it was another company I would pass due to the warranty issue. Their customer service has been so good though I feel like they would take care of me. That's just a feeling though. 

I think the perception of harshness is personal preference + terrain related as well. Assuming that the stock tune is going to work for everyone and faulting the frame if it’s harsh isn’t realistic IMO.

I wouldn’t worry about their stated warranty.. their philosophy is really “if you buy one of our frames we’ll take care of you fairly”.

That said, the real world durability of their carbon tech is still TBD..

2 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

This is community right here. 

*loud sound of applause*

• Like 1