IGNORED

tubeless sealant

what's the best...

yeah, I went there. it seems like everything I try dries up in a few days: Stan's, homebrew, Trucker... have not tried Orange Seal yet. they all seal the tire, but when I get a puncture, it does nothing because there's not enough liquid left. are my Schwalbe tires the problem?

The bike shop put stan’s In my tires. Bought a used bike for my daughter that came with orange seal. I will say that adding orange seal thru the stem is much easier and cleaner with their hose attachment. Stan’s, you have to put the whole bottle over the stem (unless there’s a new attachment I hadn’t seen). Both seem to do the job. Although, I’ve heard orange seal is a local guy. 

BikeRadar did a really nice job with their recent comparison. Stan's came out on top, which is what I've been using. Tried the orange seal too for a while, and it seems to work fine as well. The Stans seems to last longer. You can get an injector tube for the Stan's, but I just use my empty Orange Seal container with valve tube, and top it off from my big Stan's container. I've heard rumors that you shouldn't mix the two, but I have and haven't had any bad experience as a result.  

• Like 2

I use an injector tube with Stans if I'm just trying to add some sealant.  It comes with a big syringe.  I screw the injector into my valve, poor Stans into the syringe (and it has measurements along the side), insert the plunger and plunge away.  Works pretty well and is usually less of a mess than opening up the tire!

https://www.amazon.com/Stans-No-Tubes-2-Ounce-Sealant-Injector/dp/B001GSKL4A

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

How often should I be changing in the summer/winter?  I went to replace the sealant in a bike before I gave it to my buddy and that shit was bone dry.

I don't ever actually "change" mine. Just top off with 2-3 ounces every 4 months or so. With new tires I start out with about 4oz per tire. This method has worked for me, but others may have varying opinions on the topic. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Albert said:

I use an injector tube with Stans if I'm just trying to add some sealant.  It comes with a big syringe.  I screw the injector into my valve, poor Stans into the syringe (and it has measurements along the side), insert the plunger and plunge away.  Works pretty well and is usually less of a mess than opening up the tire!

https://www.amazon.com/Stans-No-Tubes-2-Ounce-Sealant-Injector/dp/B001GSKL4A

+1

I've used stans for the past 4 years. I just recently got a 32oz bottle of slime because it was only 15 dollars. It sealed up my tires fine. It's not as liquidy as stans or orange but it worked. It's only been a month though. Hopefully it'll keep working because it's extremely affordable.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you think orange seal dried up earlier than Stan’s, you’re probably not using the endurance formula and that’s the best stuff.

No tire boogers rattling around and I haven’t flatted in forever. Seriously don’t remember the last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Schrute said:

I've used stans for the past 4 years. I just recently got a 32oz bottle of slime because it was only 15 dollars. It sealed up my tires fine. It's not as liquidy as stans or orange but it worked. It's only been a month though. Hopefully it'll keep working because it's extremely affordable.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I bought the slime str for similar reasons and made the mistake of using it in 3 of my bikes. Haven't had any puncture issues but it perpetually weeps through sidewalls leaving only the thick sh#tty mucus in the tire. I'm also pretty certain that the weeping is the source of my brake squeal issue as the film settles on the rotors when not in use.

From my experience, everything but orange seal endurance is garbage.

I have been using Stan's forever. A couple ounces every few months. I typically only have problems for the first 2-3 weeks as the bead gets acclimated. I don't lose anything on the trail, but after 2-3 days a new tire will be flat. I just pump it back up and ride. After 3-4 of those it will hold the air for weeks.

I was using Stan's but they changed the formula and now it constantly weeps out the side walls of Schwalbe tires. Switched to Orange Seal and no more weeping. I know I need more sealant when I go to go for a ride and one of my tires is flat:) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief said:

I was using Stan's but they changed the formula and now it constantly weeps out the side walls of Schwalbe tires. Switched to Orange Seal and no more weeping. I know I need more sealant when I go to go for a ride and one of my tires is flat:) 

Where did you see they changed the formula?  I know they have a "Race Sealant", but I wasn't aware they changed their original formula.  Have been using Stan's for years... 

..Al

Get the latex mold at michaels using a 50% off coupon

Mix with drill is my paint stirrer drill attachment that I use to mix. I like it to be more watery than thick so I add an extra 8 oz of water

16 oz. mold maker ($6.80)

6 tbsp    ammonia (free)

16 oz. propylene glycol ($5)  -tractor supply

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (free)

32 oz. distilled water

Order to add:

• 16 oz water

• 16 oz PG

• 2 tsp xantham gum (1 tsp next time?)

• 1 oz ammonia

Mix with drill

• Add 16 oz latex mold builder

Mix with drill

• Add 16 oz water

Mix with drill

• Add Chunks - half cup of rubber crumb.  (I skip this)

• Too thick - Add 8 oz water

some people add crumbs like model train sand, glitter, or rubber crumbs.

• Like 2