IGNORED

A new adventure/experiment: Custom Hardtail Frame!

gotdurt

On 2/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, mtbmx said:

that's some slim margins.   i have built about 50 frames.  the cost of materials and powder coating alone cost me around $400.  throw in expenses like insurance, rent, consumables..............yeah, that's dirt cheap

Yea, hard to imagine how he makes it work, but he's busy and customers are happy. I assume it has something to do with being in Peru, haven't looked at exchange rates... but as a business owner myself and someone who knows enough about the process and welding experience, if I were a builder, I certainly wouldn't mess with it for $400, even if it was all profit. Heck, it would take that much just to get me to set up the welder...#americanperspective

Edited by gotdurt

Oh great, now I'm thinking about how cool it would be to have a steel HT.

Bastards!

Right!
At the very least I am wanting to powder coat my Ventana to a new color and change the fork , make her new
Found myself looking at frames again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool bike.  Can't wait for you to get it and post some pictures on the trail.

I do have a question for those of you in the know.  How can heat treatment be optional?  As I understand it, Chromium steel alloys have to be heat treated.  That is the main reason SCCA banned these alloys for club racing instead mandating much thicker mild DOM steel.

58 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Very cool bike.  Can't wait for you to get it and post some pictures on the trail.

I do have a question for those of you in the know.  How can heat treatment be optional?  As I understand it, Chromium steel alloys have to be heat treated.  That is the main reason SCCA banned these alloys for club racing instead mandating much thicker mild DOM 

From the attached pdf:

Reynolds 725 is roughly 50 percent stronger than Reynolds's non-heat-treated tubing, Reynolds 525 (and, for the sake of comparison, Reynolds 525 is the equivalent of the American Iron and Steel Institute standard 4130 chrome- moly steel, which is used to build world-class bicycles).

Also from the same website, a good explanation of bike tubing metallurgy:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/adventure-cyclist/online-features/2018-cyclists-travel-guide/

Also quite a few good forum discussions online, here's a good one I came across:

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/933018-reynolds-725-tubing-quality-stuff.html

metallurgy.pdf

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

Looks like I may have found what is clogging up his process; this guy had an order of about a dozen gravel frames being built along side mine...

Sounds like he has a shop or something, guessing these are for resale.

Regardless, I got my tracking number today, it's on its way...

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

Gotdurt, understanding that you might give zero effs about weight, I'd like to request a frame weight measurement when this beast comes in.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Haha, I shall use my finest bath scale. I would expect about 6-6.5 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... he said it usually takes 1-2 weeks to the USA... that was almost 2 weeks ago, and it appears it's still sitting at a facility in Peru:

1221519373_shippingperu.thumb.jpg.491944f890c3ce3dd2aeca6c44ecd0fe.jpg

Not sure why they had to process it through the facility twice, lol, but there it sits; 2 weeks of "pre-shipment".
The last scan was 8 days ago though, so maybe it's moving... I have had experiences with the USPS before where the package never appeared to ship, then one day it just shows up... guess they somehow drop the ball on tracking, but this time... I don't know.
Looking for a way to inquire about it...

50 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

The last scan was 8 days ago though, so maybe it's moving... I have had experiences with the USPS before where the package never appeared to ship, then one day it just shows up... guess they somehow drop the ball on tracking, but this time... I don't know.
Looking for a way to inquire about it...

My experience with USPS and international, I bet it is sitting in the US waiting to go through customs. I've typically seen stuff not get scanned till after it clears customs and is ready to go to the local dist center.

I have shipped server equipment internationally about a dozen times from and to the US and Customs can be a crap shoot. We've found that paying for overnight shipping gets you through Customs almost immediately, even when your forms are filled out incorrectly 🙂  Good luck!

Just now, Cafeend said:

Im going to go out on a limb here and decide to not watch this at work 

Depends where you work. If you happen to work at Robert Kraft's massage parlor, it's probably not too far off the everyday office chatter. 

• Haha 1

I've ordered quite a bit internationally over the years (especially from CRC), and have never experienced customs issues... aren't they supposed to notify me if and why it is being held? I hope this doesn't end up costing me more money...

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Depends where you work. If you happen to work at Robert Kraft's massage parlor, it's probably not too far off the everyday office chatter. 

Yep probably don't want to watch that at work but seriously the documentary is an interesting and not in a good way.  FYRE festival was a completely delusional $..T show from the start.

• Like 2

I've found that anything that goes through Chicago customs is a crap shoot and can take forever to get cleared. I've ordered stuff from oversea that went through Chicago and when I received the package it's had other items in it that had nothing to do with what I ordered.

• Haha 1

It finally made it!

20190311_145106s.thumb.jpg.4990f7d9d1e7593432f4f705adcf3d5d.jpg

First impressions: welds and build look really good, better than expected, but finish work could use a little improvement (on par with what I had been reading from others), but this isn't about finish details, especially since my original plan was to order a bare-metal frame. I will also say that I gave him a challenge with the "Geronimo" font, and was aware that it might not work well (looks good in photos, but up close has some issues)...

Once I get it built-up, I'll measure geo, etc and see how close to the mark he came...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 8