IGNORED

A new adventure/experiment: Custom Hardtail Frame!

gotdurt

37 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Marino sent me the BikeCAD file they were working on. I think it's perfect. I even have a name for it, which shall be revealed at a later date. I haven't put any money down yet, but it seems like it's happening. 

https://www.bikecad.ca/1669304824234

(disregard the brown box, I can't make that go away.)

Cool, since he's talking to you, tell him to respond to my emails from 10/28 and 11/21...

• 2 weeks later...

So, thanks to @mack_turtle inserting my my circumstance into his conversation with Elijah, I finally got a response to my last email:

Hi Casey,

Sorry for the wait, I've forwarded  your emails to Marino so he can get back with an update, please wait for it.

Best regards,
Elijah

Guess we'll see the the ball gets rolling again...

• Like 1

@gotdurt's response from Elijah came less than 24 hours after I mentioned it. Typically, responses come to me 48 hours later. 

I'm not sure what to make if the thousands of Marino bikes on trails today, then. I didn't make any threats, just asked if they knew anything about this one bike that fell through the cracks, out of thousands of otherwise satisfied customers.

Either this bad experience is a fluke, or Marino is running a massive conspiracy by creating social media pages full of fake customers and bikes that don't really exist to fool us into buying bikes. If Marino doesn't give me a frame that I pay for, I'll find a local fabricator to make me a custom tin foil hat instead.  😝

Edited by mack_turtle

• 3 weeks later...

@CBaron I'm having two pairs of bottle mounts put on the downtube—above and below. It's the same as my current frame. I usually carry a hip pack with 1.5L or a 3L backpack. The top tube is super low and will be supported with a simple diagonal tube. More standover!

I specified the seat tube bend to accommodate a 2.5" 29er tire with a 420mm minimum chainstay length, and located the bend to fit a 180mm dropper post. I currently have a 150x30.9 PNW Bachelor that will be replaced with the 180x31.6 OneUp that I bought on a Black Friday sale. That's part of the reason I didn't bother with a seat tube-mounted water bottle.

It's unlikely that I'll need the CS tukt that far forward often, as the gear combo I like is usually in the 425-430mm realm.

The reach measurement is at least 25mm long than what a currently have. Considering I need at least a 70mm stem for my Karate Monkey to fit me, that should work nicely with a stem no longer than 50mm.

Think of it as a Middlechild or Nimble9 built around a 120mm for instead of 140-150, or a budget ersatz Sendero.

Edited by mack_turtle

I need to finally pay for the whole thing and then just wait for shipping to come through. Based on recent experiences with shipping, global systems are run with the same kind of efficiency that Southwest Airlines has, so I'll get it some time in 2024.

just kidding

447263685_Marinopaintedleft.thumb.jpg.fdb6384977c9a855fa9b73e19a558b54.jpg2094451223_Marinopaintedright.thumb.jpg.21a4dcc80d7e3d9e2c3bf4452fc878b9.jpg

I need to treat inside tubes for anti-rust and assemble. hopefully the headtube and BB tube don't give me any grief. that internal dropper post port looks like it might force a tight bend, but I'll deal with it one way or another. That bend in the seat tube is super low, which should give me plenty of room for the long dropper post I bought in anticipation. I just hope the geometry holds true to my intentions.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 7

So it looks like @mack_turtle might have rattled their cage some... got an email from Elijah yesterday, he said that Marino was waiting to hear how I wanted the cable routing; I forwarded the original response that I had sent with photos, etc on 9/13/21, lol. I don't know if they actually missed it, or if he is just using it as an excuse. Either way, I hope the ball starts rolling again now that they see that I'm not an "island"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, mack_turtle said:

I need to finally pay for the whole thing and then just wait for shipping to come through. Based on recent experiences with shipping, global systems are run with the same kind of efficiency that Southwest Airlines has, so I'll get it some time in 2024.

just kidding

447263685_Marinopaintedleft.thumb.jpg.fdb6384977c9a855fa9b73e19a558b54.jpg2094451223_Marinopaintedright.thumb.jpg.21a4dcc80d7e3d9e2c3bf4452fc878b9.jpg

I need to treat inside tubes for anti-rust and assemble. hopefully the headtube and BB tube don't give me any grief. that internal dropper post port looks like it might force a tight bend, but I'll deal with it one way or another. That bend in the seat tube is super low, which should give me plenty of room for the long dropper post I bought in anticipation. I just hope the geometry holds true to my intentions.

Nice frame!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:54 PM, gotdurt said:

So it looks like @mack_turtle might have rattled their cage some... got an email from Elijah yesterday, he said that Marino was waiting to hear how I wanted the cable routing; I forwarded the original response that I had sent with photos, etc on 9/13/21, lol. I don't know if they actually missed it, or if he is just using it as an excuse. Either way, I hope the ball starts rolling again now that they see that I'm not an "island"...

I've been sending follow-up emails every few days with no responses. Sent one yesterday, too. Guess now that they have @mack_turtle's money, they can ignore me again. Thinking I might need to get on their FB and IG pages and start stirring things up some.

I asked a question a few days ago but have not gotten a response either. The Marino FB group reports similar experiences this week as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/220557769424981/permalink/717087856438634/?mibextid=Nif5ozScreenshot_20230125-100129.thumb.png.c0b5ff9034d38346b65e95e0c4485dc2.png

Fortunately for me, my frame arrived in Florida yesterday, so the delivery date is coming!

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I'm not sure if there's a big Chinese enclave in Peru, but it's possible.

We should probably call it Lunar New Year since more than just China celebrates it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year 

There's a big Asian influence in Peru.  Self-reported by population not much, but culturally quite a bit of influence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Peruvians

image.thumb.png.6cb183740b117fd9c556e88ae5008509.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I asked a question a few days ago but have not gotten a response either. The Marino FB group reports similar experiences this week as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/220557769424981/permalink/717087856438634/?mibextid=Nif5ozScreenshot_20230125-100129.thumb.png.c0b5ff9034d38346b65e95e0c4485dc2.png

Fortunately for me, my frame arrived in Florida yesterday, so the delivery date is coming!

I posted in the fb group, maybe he'll see it or someone mid-build might mention it like you did...