IGNORED

A new adventure/experiment: Custom Hardtail Frame!

gotdurt

Maybe you’d like it better if weighed less? 30 lbs for modern bikes is light but if riding tech where having to lift front/back up ledges/using a lot of arm strength. I prefer a lighter bike. Heavy modern fs bikes on buff single track or rough fast downhills/jumps are another thing and no problem maybe/probably better in that regard 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RonSurly said:

Maybe you’d like it better if weighed less? 30 lbs for modern bikes is light but if riding tech where having to lift front/back up ledges/using a lot of arm strength. I prefer a lighter bike. Heavy modern fs bikes on buff single track or rough fast downhills/jumps are another thing and no problem maybe/probably better in that regard 

30 pounds is light for a FS bike with a huge gear range. This is a bare-bones XC hardtail with one gear. I had a similar feeling from the Niner ROS9 that I ride for a few weeks. It was a tank!

12 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I put the frame up for sale just in case it gets any interest. I could get lucky but I need to learn to be content with what I have. It's very unlikely that I'll sell it and have any cash leftover to buy something different, so that's probably a bad idea.

I found your frame on Marketplace.  If you sold it for your asking price, for not much more I'd offer you my Banshee Paradox V3.  It's a large, however, so likely wouldn't fit you.  To be honest, I absolutely love that bike, but wanted to go with sliding dropouts for single-speeding.  I'd even include a SS tensioner. 😉  But seriously, I bet you could get a good deal on a new Paradox frame on Pinkbike these days.  It's aluminum, but is surprisingly comfortable and I felt it handled Austin terrain super well.  It easily fit 29x2.6 on 35i rims, but I also fit 27.5x2.8s on 45i rims so plenty of cush if you're so inclined.

Anyway, sorry the Marino didn't work out for you.  I've been eyeing their full sus and thinking it'd be fun to build a super budget big travel enduro bike, but like you, I've already blown my bike budget for 2023.  Oh, who am I kidding...  My bike budget is like the national deficit.  I'll just increase it when the time comes! LOL

Best,

Tommy

• Like 2

There's a good chance that all this bike needs is a rider with a different attitude. I doubt anyone is going to buy it from me, but I put it up just in case.

It's seriously over-built for me though. I'm 165 pounds and dropping another 5-10 pounds in the next few weeks. I'm sure that someone with an extra 100 pounds on me would find this bike to be just right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RonSurly said:

That would probably be a downgrade from the Karate Monkey I just sold. None of my parts would fit on it.

Edited by mack_turtle

16 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I'm pretty oblivious to frame weights alone.

Do you have a full build weight out of curiosity. 

Over 31 pounds for a bike with one gear for a 165-pound rider. I had a good time riding it today, but it wears me out. I'm reconsidering my current attempt to lose weight.

Edited by mack_turtle

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

Over 31 pounds for a bike with one gear for a 165-pound rider. I had a good time riding it today, but it wears me out. I'm reconsidering my current attempt to lose weight.

Ooff. Yea, I'm with you. I'm 190 and anything over 30 that requires real pedaling is fatiguing to me. Good luck with your situation. Hope you get a buyer and find a frame that works next. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Yeah, I am ~1 pound under you in bike weight for full squish and gears. Good ride yesterday I think fuel was more of a challenge than bike weight.

1 minute ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I am ~1 pound under you in bike weight for full squish and gears. Good ride yesterday I think fuel was more of a challenge than bike weight.

I was certainly under-fueled yesterday for a BCGB beatdown. I need to get stronger, but damn. Everything hurts. Someone told me that the bike-to-rider weight ratio is off, and it could be more fun to fix that by gaining 90 pounds instead of losing a few pounds on the bike. give me the carbs! In the meanwhile, I'm going to swap the 19t cog in the back for a 20t so I can spin it up a little easier.

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

If you have a 30# SS, the 7lb frame is only a little of the problem.

I don't know what that means, but none of the parts on this bike are particularly heavy. the 7 pound, 3 ounce frame, however, is quite a bit heavier than anything I've ever owned, and I had a ROS9 at one point.

Just now, mack_turtle said:

I don't know what that means, but none of the parts on this bike are particularly heavy. the 7 pound, 3 ounce frame, however, is quite a bit heavier than anything I've ever owned, and I had a ROS9 at one point.

I've got a steel SS that's 21#. Probably a 4# frame. Rigid carbon fork but nothing else strangely light. Even with a suspension fork and 3# of extra frame, you've still got a few lbs of extra you could lose.

4 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I've got a steel SS that's 21#. Probably a 4# frame. Rigid carbon fork but nothing else strangely light. Even with a suspension fork and 3# of extra frame, you've still got a few lbs of extra you could lose.

I have a rigid fork option. it's still quite heavy, and without the benefit of not beating me up so much. Industry Nine rear wheel, 28 spokes all around, nothing else on the bike is particularly heavy. that stiff, heavy frame, however, makes a difference. I honestly don't know where else to make this bike more tolerable.

Edited by mack_turtle

13 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

According to the interwebs my Vassago is 4.98 pounds. I have never weighed the full bike but I am guessing, with a Fox fork and a dropper that I am just under 24. While a few more pounds does not seem like a wildly different amount, when you factor it into pulling the bike over ledges, etc, then that extra weight starts to matter.

16 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

According to the interwebs my Vassago is 4.98 pounds. I have never weighed the full bike but I am guessing, with a Fox fork and a dropper that I am just under 24. While a few more pounds does not seem like a wildly different amount, when you factor it into pulling the bike over ledges, etc, then that extra weight starts to matter.

I think this is what people leave out when they say "bike weight doesn't matter." just pedaling the bike up a hill is one thing, but wrangling extra pounds up and over endless Barton Creek rock ledges takes its toll after a few hours. I love that terrain, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I think this is what people leave out when they say "bike weight doesn't matter." just pedaling the bike up a hill is one thing, but wrangling extra pounds up and over endless Barton Creek rock ledges takes its toll after a few hours.

100% it matters in exactly the way you describe.

This is exactly why I stopped weighing my stuff, it gets in your head. Put away the scale and be free...
It's also why I stopped using a computer (in the old days) and don't use Strava; riding is so much more enjoyable when your head isn't cluttered and stressed with numbers.