IGNORED

A new adventure/experiment: Custom Hardtail Frame!

gotdurt

I didn't weigh the bike until after two rides. Something felt off, like the bike was a lot more reluctant to leave the ground than anything in experience. I took it apart for now in case I can sell it. The objective weight just confirmed that I'm not enjoying this bike for subjective reasons. Too bad, because this will be a rad bike for someone who needs something burly.

It's weird and mental, but so am I. I'm spending some quality time with the gravel bike in the meanwhile. Trails are in great shape but I spent over four hours exploring from behind a drop bar and I feel satisfied.

Edited by mack_turtle

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Side note, have you been able to ride this fork much? How do you like it? It's one of my front runners for replacing my RS 35 Gold RL.

Not much yet. I sold the Marino in February and the frame I am buying to replace it is not here yet. I've been without a mtb all this time. It's horrible! I made the choices that lead to this with my eyes open. Do not pity me.

Edited by mack_turtle

13 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Not much yet. I sold the Marino in February and the frame I am buying to replace it is not here yet. I've been without a mtb all this time. It's horrible! I made the choices that lead to this with my eyes open. Do not pity me.

Crystal ball says it sees a Revel Ranger in your future 😁

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Crystal ball says it sees a Revel Ranger in your future 😁

My future has something equally cool, but in the opposite direction from all the squishy bits and plastic. I just looked at the Ranger, and I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams ever obtaining the level of opulence to afford something like that.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

My future has something equally cool, but in the opposite direction from all the squishy bits and plastic.

No point in trying to imagine the look on my wife's face if I bought a $5,000 bicycle, because it's the last sight I'd ever see.

Built my Rascal for $3700. That was precovid just before all the shortages hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, back on topic... here's something I was not expecting; I thought I had lost communication with Marino for good, then this appeared in my inbox this morning:

Hola

In stock #29 no problem ? 

Frame ready to paint job 
Include Sram UDH dropouts

Please confirm logos and possible 29 
Because #5 soldout 

Not sure what he's asking regarding logos, "#29" and "#5", but I'm inclined to just answer, "YES"

With that said, he sent me pictures, but they are of 2 different frames, or at least different dropouts... the first one is correct; it was supposed to have modular dropouts so that I could switch to single speed without needing a tensioner, but it looks like maybe they cut them off and welded in the UDH instead, because otherwise the rest of the frame appears the same:

image.png

IMG-20230523-WA0003.jpg

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Weird!

The numbers are referring to their color pallette. You pick a # for the main color, and a secondary # for the logo colors.

Yeah he responded and clarified. He must've switched to the number method later, because we used color codes (Main paint color: D7C8A9 (tan)
letter color: 01009A (blue) ).
He ignored my question about the dropouts though, don't know if I should push it or let it go... not sure how well UDH will work with a SS chain tensioner, since it is designed to slip. If he already cut-off and replaced the dropouts, I don't want to have them do it again, that's just asking for flaws.

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures more closely, I don't think those are the same frames; if he cut off the modular drop outs, it looks like he would have had to extend the stays for the UDH drop outs... I wonder if he sold the other frame or something and started over 🤔

• 2 months later...

Sent Marino an email following up on our previous exchange; not sure what to make of this... 🤔

Hola

Frame was ready some weeks ago 
But surface now perfect some point 
Decide remove paint to paint again 

But one of my welders broken his foot
And busy days here . 

Possible change color ? 
No sure why those frame points minimal in paint surface 😞

Not sure why he'd want to change the color, but it would be nice to get the frame that I originally ordered... color and everything.

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

Sent Marino an email following up on our previous exchange; not sure what to make of this... 🤔

Not sure why he'd want to change the color, but it would be nice to get the frame that I originally ordered... color and everything.

I think he's just offering the opportunity if you wanted a different color.

It sounds to me like he's blaming the color for something that happened, but I don't understand what he means by "points". I later noticed that he sent some photos, looks like maybe there's some "fisheyes" or specks of some sort. The blue is wrong though 🤦‍♂️

IMG_20230808_140415s.jpg

IMG_20230808_140421s.jpg

IMG_20230808_140430s.jpg

IMG_20230808_140501s.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Has it really been a 4 year project for a hardtail frame?

Yep. Well, I've been riding the original frame the whole time, so it didn't take that long to build the intended bike... in fact, this will likely become a different build altogether, due to he time.