IGNORED

erosion is not the same everywhere

crazyt

11 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

From what I know, the trail at Slaughter Creek was cut by mtb trail builders, a

The trail was laid out primarily by Britt Jones, a mountain biker and an employee for Water Quality Protection Lands, which owns the Slaughter Creek tract;  trail location and routing were very closely monitored.  Britt was extremely careful to  avoid low-lying swampy areas and any other problem areas.  Unlike most venues in the Austin area, they have the ability to close the trail down when the trail needs to dry out, including right now. 

Slaughter Creek was OK to ride 23 hours ago, but too wet to right now, according to their fb page.  

7 hours ago, cxagent said:

that was more because of the City / PARD safety concerns than erosion. The City did not like that people were riding down that "ledge" picking up speed and then crossing blind intersection where cross traffic was picking up speed to hit the Wall Ride. They felt it was just a matter of time before there was a major crash there. They wanted to close that fall line trail and not opening any alternative. The IMBA Trail Crew pointed out that creating a dead end like that would never stay closed and the problem would not go away. So they offered a better solution of the longer and more flowy trail.

Yes, this played out exactly as described by cxAgent.  That intersection was an accident waiting to happen: as noted above, people blasting down hill, while on the crossing trail, a rider would be accelerating to hit The Wall at speed. 

Unfortunately, some walkers have opened that fall line back up, thinking it was the right thing to do, since it was avoiding cyclists.  I'll have to check to see if it's been closed off again. 

Edited by June Bug

This is interesting...

"...Unfortunately, some walkers have opened that fall line back up, thinking it was the right thing to do, since it was avoiding cyclists.  I'll have to check to see if it's been closed off again."

Especially given this history...

"...people blasting down hill, while on the crossing trail, a rider would be accelerating to hit The Wall at speed."

19 hours ago, June Bug said:

The trail was laid out primarily by Britt Jones, a mountain biker and an employee for Water Quality Protection Lands, which owns the Slaughter Creek tract;  trail location and routing were very closely monitored.  Britt was extremely careful to  avoid low-lying swampy areas and any other problem areas.  Unlike most venues in the Austin area, they have the ability to close the trail down when the trail needs to dry out, including right now.

That trail was a lot of work to build. I have a scar on a fingertip from getting it pinched between a couple of slabs. The crew I was on hauled a lot of large, flat rock slabs into a particularly nasty bog section to armor it. Good times! I've never made it out there to ride the trail once it was completed. It is another on a long list to eventually pick up some day.