IGNORED

Converting Chris King Hubs

AustinBike

Started building my hardtail. Step 1 was getting wheels. Got a hell of a deal on some Chris Kings with Arch EX rims and DT Swiss spokes. Everything was great.

My fork is a Rock Shox Reba RL TI (probably ~2011 or so), 20mm. I was using this on my FS and pulled it off to put on a Pike. Since the pike needed a 15mm axle and I had a different set of Kings on that bike, I got the 15mm converter and tossed the old 20mm axle in the parts bin. When my wheels arrived last night I pulled the old 20mm axle out because the new set has an LD shell and it should fit.

But it did not.

Cannot get the axle into the shell, it goes up to the bearing and then I can't get it past the bearing. (in the pic below it goes in to just past the threads, it is a metal on metal issue, not the o-ring). Tried pushing real hard, but do not want to damage the hub. Is there a different bearing size for King hubs?

It seems like the bearing is only marginally smaller than the axle. 

Any thoughts?

IMG_3306.jpg

21 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

the new set has an LD shell and it should fit.

Any thoughts?

I can't recall what an LD shell is?

I know 'back when' 20mm was more popular, the CK hubs were not convertible up and down the axle size range.  I seem to recall it being labeled as a " heavy duty" hub shell.  It was a bit oversized and would work 20mm down....but you couldn't do native 9mm (or 15TA) and up.  My experiences where circa 2010 product range.

-CJB

They are all LD axles. The SD axle would be significantly smaller, this one practically fits.

i think the answer is to simply put the 20mm back in the old wheel set and swap wheel sets between bikes. I wanted the newer one on the hardtail but let’s be honest, both sets are bomb proof, so it should not matter. Especially with the way I ride.