IGNORED

Thinking about losing the dropper

17 minutes ago, notyal said:

This is the argument people always bring up against droppers that I find just plain wrong. Somehow you are more skilled if you don't use a dropper? I call bullshit. 

I was going to say something like this. I wouldn't call "bullshit" though because I'm a non-confrontational sort. :classic_wink:

But I too just can't follow that logic. I have a sling shot and a rifle. Practicing the sling shot does not make me a better rifleman. 

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Albert said:

If it'll help me go down ledges I might otherwise shy away from, I'd be all for that. 🙂

+1

I put a dropper on my bike and rarely used  it so I took it off.  I'm going to put it back on just so I can try to roll down Sponge Bob and do more of the drops at Emma Long.

I had one...ditched after a few rides. Sold to FirstBlood for $20 and a handjob. 

Dropper post just didn’t do it for me. I still ride like I’m on a hardtail with rigid post...for better or worse. I don’t really take huge drops and I like a bit of sketch feel to my bike. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I was going to say something like this. I wouldn't call "bullshit" though because I'm a non-confrontational sort. :classic_wink:

But I too just can't follow that logic. I have a sling shot and a rifle. Practicing the sling shot does not make me a better rifleman. 

Maybe a more apt analogy is a rifle with and without a scope. 

Funny how SpongeBob keeps coming up in this thread.  SpongeBob destroyed my left elbow (and took a pass at my left eye as well, see profile pic) in February 2018.  I'm trying to decide if I'll ever go back.

Hmmmm.

I can see getting along without a dropper at WC maybe, and then rolling back up to Brushy with my light-as-a-feather rigid carbon post, taking one look at SpongeBob, and being like "NOPE".  I think I see y'all's point now about droppers being more applicable to other trails around ATX.  Hell, I had a dropper when I ate sh*t on SB; the seat was down but my ass was up as I was looking over the ledge thinking "That looks a lot steeper than last time"....

-cls

Edited by MrTheCatLady

25 minutes ago, Albert said:

Which feature is Sponge Bob?

Not a great pic but here it is. You go down it riding E-W and up it riding W-E. I like to use a mini-manual coming down it and really don't have to worry about line choice. You can certainly huck off of it too but I prefer not to carry that much speed coming off of it, as the landing could get sketchy (this was demonstrated very nicely by the OP here in a video posted on the old forum - the artist formerly known as Clysmith).   

IMAG1155 (2017_07_18 13_09_01 UTC).jpg

Edited by throet

And here's how not to ride it on a Karate Monkey.  With a dropper.  This is the first time SB got me.  No real damage except for my ego 🙂 (The elbow/eye was the second time.)  FWIW I have managed to make it over SB without incident, believe it or not.  3-4 times on the day this video was taken even.

-cls

Edited by MrTheCatLady
  • Like 2

@MrTheCatLady You really came off the edge nicely and even seemed to land clean, possibly still a little too upright upon landing which brought your weight forward coming over that second little ledge. Anyway, this is why I like to come over with less speed and a controlled front wheel lift, landing well ahead of that second little drop.  

Your old man moaning at the end is golden stuff.  I don't mean that in an inflammatory way ether.  You get right back up on the horse!  But you can tell you took a hit.  I've always wanted to see the full speed version of this video.  Of course the slow has cool effect, but I think more could be learned in regular speed.

Later  -CJB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

I should have never chimed in.  My loaner dropper just failed after riding down spongebob.   Had to low ride it to the bailout.

Looks like I'll be dropperless for the labor day weekend rides.  

That sucks! Has only happened to me once. My backup bike has a mechanical dropper; so even when it fails you can get it back in either the middle or high position by hand. Wish they all worked that way. 

I do recall going to reimers one weekend and ended up with a defective dropper stuck in the extended position. It sucked . The thing that stood out as being the worst was the fast (ish) downhill section along the back fence with the jumps being really awkward compared to having the seat slammed. I guess i like being down way low at speed with a little tire buzz for novelty.

At some point you guys are gonna get tired of hitting your gunts on the seat😁

And here's how not to ride it on a Karate Monkey.  With a dropper.  This is the first time SB got me.  No real damage except for my ego [emoji846] (The elbow/eye was the second time.)  FWIW I have managed to make it over SB without incident, believe it or not.  3-4 times on the day this video was taken even. -cls  

Ya, confirms my apprehension. It’s that second little drop that stops me from trying. I’m leary of exactly what happens in this vid- that i’d be off balance regarding weight shift front/back and get tossed. Lack of suspension no doubt made this harder. Also, having a longish wheel base seems like it gives more stability but it also means less space to complete the first drop entirely before the second. What size frame was that? Any advice from those who ride this regularly without incident? I ride FS XL frame with dropper btw.

5 hours ago, MrTheCatLady said:

And here's how not to ride it on a Karate Monkey.  With a dropper.  This is the first time SB got me.  No real damage except for my ego 🙂 (The elbow/eye was the second time.)  FWIW I have managed to make it over SB without incident, believe it or not.  3-4 times on the day this video was taken even.

-cls

I think the bigger issue might've been riding it on a fully rigid bike!  You couldn't pay me enough to ride deception with no front fork.  Kudos to you for trying.

My order of importance of equipment would be:

1. Helmet

2. Bike

3. Gloves

4. Front fork

5. Dropper

6. Gears

7. Rear suspension

Edited by Kobra Kai MTB Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, attaboy said:

Any advice from those who ride this regularly without incident?

I ride down SB every time I go through, full rigid karate monkey w/o dropper, 29+ hardtail with dropper, whatever I'm riding. I usually just take it  r e a l l y  slow, slower than in the video above. I've never video'd for confirmation, but I'd be real surprised if both wheels are ever off the ground at the same time, and I'm not lifting the front wheel much if at all. Basically pure rolling the drop, with a TON of weight transfer to keep me from endoing. Get your butt way back and your belly button on the saddle and you'll be surprised at how steep/big of a drop you can roll down without incident. I take basket on picnic pretty much the same way. It doesn't look as cool as hucking it like the youtube guys, but I haven't broken myself yet either...

Of course, Spongebob probably shouldn't be the first drop you try using that technique, start with some of the smaller ones out there and get comfortable with it first.

That fall had nothing to do with a dropper. If you look at the video, the body position is wrong, and primarily the foot position is whacky. The feet and toes are pointed down. Your elbows are also straight in and down vs out and in attach position (think military push up vs standard or wide grip). When the front wheel hits the last and final small drop there is nothing to push against to keep your body back and therefore you you get slung forward. you basically had no arm force or leg force capable of stopping your momentum. 

My best approach to this drop is not to jump off it, but to ride off with heels dropped while pushing the bike forward and dropping your ass back and down. Almost a manual maneuver. Plenty of speed helps. The slower you go, the more rough this drop gets and the more opportunity for you to do things like this and get knocked off of your form. Speed really helps at brushy. 

Edited by FJsnoozer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ride down SB every time I go through, full rigid karate monkey w/o dropper, 29+ hardtail with dropper, whatever I'm riding. I usually just take it  r e a l l y  slow, slower than in the video above. I've never video'd for confirmation, but I'd be real surprised if both wheels are ever off the ground at the same time, and I'm not lifting the front wheel much if at all. Basically pure rolling the drop, with a TON of weight transfer to keep me from endoing. Get your butt way back and your belly button on the saddle and you'll be surprised at how steep/big of a drop you can roll down without incident. I take basket on picnic pretty much the same way. It doesn't look as cool as hucking it like the youtube guys, but I haven't broken myself yet either...
Of course, Spongebob probably shouldn't be the first drop you try using that technique, start with some of the smaller ones out there and get comfortable with it first.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. I do know and use that technique often and on have on SB. I’ve just grown a bit tired of it so I’m tempted to lift off that top and I’m curios how that’s done. Maybe I’m out because it involves willingness to crash as part of learning curve. I buck some drops, with clean landings. This one has that second area that means you have to be centered and balanced before it. And SB is all rock if I recall, and I’m not willing to learn on that one.

I should have never chimed in.  My loaner dropper just failed after riding down spongebob.   Had to low ride it to the bailout.
Looks like I'll be dropperless for the labor day weekend rides.  

That sucks
Mines for sale
Took it off since I never used it
Don’t get the fuss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, attaboy said:

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. I do know and use that technique often and on have on SB. I’ve just grown a bit tired of it so I’m tempted to lift off that top and I’m curios how that’s done.

Sounds like you ought to listen to FJSnoozer then! I'm kinda in the same boat as you as far as risk/reward, at least on the rigid.

9 hours ago, notyal said:

Practicing in a forced compromised position does not improve skill. It just makes you better at something that doesn't really have a practical application anymore. 

If you ride an old KSi950r dropper then the practical application is when the dropper fails to work properly.

I like to compare the dropper to my singlespeed vs. my FS.  Different bikes with different feels. Being forced to use your body to help you navigate features helps me a better FS rider. Also being able to clear obstacles with or without the dropper makes me a better rider. And more riding makes me better. 

Just can't imagine going back after riding with a dropper for the last 5 years.  Some rides, I rarely use it.  Other rides, I drop that thing often.  Just depends on the terrain, the conditions, the speed, the vibe.......or any combination of those.  Don't even think about it anymore.  Whenever I need it, push a button and it's there.  Just like my Eagle chainring. Mountain biking should be fun and my dropper makes it more fun for me.  It's easy to admit that many riders on this forum are stronger and more skilled than I am.  Perhaps they are able to stay well centered over the bottom bracket when railing a corner, hucking a drop or descending multiple ledges at speed and ride out of those situations in a perfectly balanced position ready for the next obstacle without a dropper post.  I can't.  The very first time I used one, it made so much sense.  Never looked back.  

• Like 2