Sign in to follow this  
RidingAgain

Rim size... Tire size... Front... Rear...

Been trying to figure out what direction to head in... 27.5 rim with a 2.5-2.6 tire, or 29 with a 2.3-2.4 tire... What's your experience been?

Also, have you run slightly smaller/narrower tires on the rear... Weight, rolling, fit?

Thanks.

Run a 29x2.5 Wide Trail Maxxis on the front and a 29x2.3 on the rear.  Always been a fan of a smaller faster rolling tire out back.  Biggest game changer has been these rims at about 30mm internal width! Don't care about weight.  Have found the Maxxis Minion SS is a great tire around here for the rear, rolls super fast and has more grip than you would think.

• Like 1

I ran 27.5 2.4s on my remedy. From there went to 27.5 2.8s on my genius. This is when I figured out 2.8s on a plush full squish bike are just too much. I have reduced to 2.6s and it is excellent. Doubt I’ll go down any more. Fast, tracks well, even with a pretty heavy dhf on the front it’s just easier to maneuver and corner than the smaller knob 2.8 rekon. 

I imagine I will continue to ride 2.6s as long as I’m on a 27.5. 

To note, I do still run 2.8s on my hardtail and don’t see that changing. I ride that bike differently than my big bike. 

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 1