IGNORED

Why I did it

spicewookie

10 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Wookie, for the brake levers for the girls...pick up a set of Avid Speed Dial 7s. You can adjust the reach for little hands (my 6 year old uses them just fine) and the little red dial helps adjust the modulation at the lever. My son can lock 'em up for rad skids, or he can scrub speed as necessary.

My only complaint is that you have to slide on the levers from the end of the bar. So you'll have to take off the grips.

I was actually trying to remember but I thought the Hotrock had adjustable levers.  The Hardrock does for sure.

I was actually surprised the Tektro M280 mechanical disc on my 6-year old son's Trek Roscoe 20" had adjustable levers.  Thankfully they were because we wouldn't have gotten the bike if the tech hadn't adjusted them for him as it was almost impossible for him to reach them as they were originally setup.  So I feel your pain on that.  It's a great bike by the way for anyone looking.  Kid-friendly geometry with rigid fork and plus size tires that roll rocks nicely.  He loves the bike, now I just need to get him and his older brother out on the trail more (older brother has Specialized Riprock 24" - like that too but could do without the heavy (useless) suspension fork).

I forgot about Mary Moore Searight Park... It has some of the sweetest slight downhill flow trails I've found in Austin, and the rest, as long as you stay away from small sections on the east side, are all pretty mellow trails. I'm thinking you could easily get in 5-7 miles of fun family riding there. And there's the Southpark Meadows shopping center about 5+ minutes away. 

That is very cool!  My wife and I also did the whole bike trailer, tag-a-long, tiny-bike progression with our two kids. Once my son, who was the youngest, turned seven, our family started doing birthday camping weekends with his friends at Muleshoe.  In the early years we did not attempt the whole loop but we did memorable rides there each year. Since the loop pops out on the road several places it is easy to do partial loops.  I think we did five birthdays in a row at Muleshoe, followed by one year at Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort.   My kids are now 19 and 21 and we are heading to Northwest Arkansas for a mountain bike vacation in a couple of weeks! 

• Like 3

That's surprising.  What year Hotrock is this?

The cheapest Tektro brakes I could find are adjustable.  I know at least some years of the Hotrock came with Tektro levers and grip shifts.   I used a Tektro lever for the rear v-brake on my son's Hardrock since I put in an LX shifter and the stock ones are integrated brake.  The Stock Hardrock from 2014 has a screw from the backside.  These integrated levers from 2014 don't even have a model name, but I think newer Hardocks come with Tourney which are  advertised as tool-less reach adjustment.  I may be getting rid of my Tektro levers (I think I bought a pair and only used one) since nobody is interested in the 26" hardrock as is.  I am pretty sure I'll be parting it out and putting the bike to full stock. 

image.png.c6a685a7072f2c66324599f899a71440.pngimage.thumb.png.9d648e66340fca90374f2a3ac79a3599.png

One interesting thing, the XS hardrock 26" weighed about as much as the 24" hotrock.  Using XT 9speed parts and my old Manitou R7 I was able to knock off about 3-4lbs off the hardrock.  That helped my very skinny son do better on the trail.  Those bikes come with 175mm cranks too.  I was surprised.  I've since added about 2lbs when I put a Rhyno Lite (anything but lite!) BMX rear wheel.  He kept bending them and pinch flatting with the stock ones...and I hate adjusting the cones.    Save me the work of changing parts over and I'll knock $100 off that upgraded Hardrock.

21 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That's surprising.  What year Hotrock is this?

The cheapest Tektro brakes I could find are adjustable.  I know at least some years of the Hotrock came with Tektro levers and grip shifts.   I used a Tektro lever for the rear v-brake on my son's Hardrock since I put in an LX shifter and the stock ones are integrated brake.  The Stock Hardrock from 2014 has a screw from the backside.  These integrated levers from 2014 don't even have a model name, but I think newer Hardocks come with Tourney which are  advertised as tool-less reach adjustment.  I may be getting rid of my Tektro levers (I think I bought a pair and only used one) since nobody is interested in the 26" hardrock as is.  I am pretty sure I'll be parting it out and putting the bike to full stock. 

image.png.c6a685a7072f2c66324599f899a71440.pngimage.thumb.png.9d648e66340fca90374f2a3ac79a3599.png

One interesting thing, the XS hardrock 26" weighed about as much as the 24" hotrock.  Using XT 9speed parts and my old Manitou R7 I was able to knock off about 3-4lbs off the hardrock.  That helped my very skinny son do better on the trail.  Those bikes come with 175mm cranks too.  I was surprised.  I've since added about 2lbs when I put a Rhyno Lite (anything but lite!) BMX rear wheel.  He kept bending them and pinch flatting with the stock ones...and I hate adjusting the cones.    Save me the work of changing parts over and I'll knock $100 off that upgraded Hardrock.

tell me more about this wonder bike?

42 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

No fish tanks, no ammo, cash only please.   I wish I could say I will go ride Pace Bend Sunday and I'll bring the bike with me for you to examine, but this rain is making it not likely.

You know he's gonna offer bacon and/or beer as well. Which, in Spicewood, IS considered cash.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, spicewookie said:

We had a blast.  I was hoping for slightly warmer weather, but it was still great.  My wife said that riding in the back, she saw a beautiful sight: me leading the girls down the trail.  That did my heart so good, because I know I left her and the girls at home quite a few hours/days.  Now that we can enjoy it together, I'm a stoked dad.  We are warming up for Spider Mountain!  I took the daughters to Angel Fire this summer, and unfortunately, the eldest took a handlebar to the calf on the first run (she was doing so good, but washed out in a "dumb" berm).  I'm shopping for adjustable-reach v-brake levers now.  Their little hands just can't grab brake comfortably enough to modulate.  

Dana peak is awesome. The trails by the fishing peer TH, and the lower ones around the lake are great for kids. My daughter's been riding there on a trail a bike, 16", and now her 20". You could even camp there on the lake and just explore. Great post btw, and great job being an awesome Dad!

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

And?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

.......When the ranch transitioned to goats, I met my first true love: milking teats.  We actually started running cattle in the big pastures and had dairy goats closer to the house and barn.  Esther was the first goat that I ever milked.  She had a luxurious hide of auburn bristles that shined like the Cadillac's spoked wheels in the sunlight.  When I initially grasped Esther's teats, she let out the most exhilarating bellow of ecstasy, and then and there, I learned how to please a woman. 

We were a thousand miles from nowhere.  Wheat fields as far as we could see.  Both needing something from each other.  Not knowing yet what that might be.

To be continued........

3 hours ago, spicewookie said:

.......When the ranch transitioned to goats, I met my first true love: milking teats.  We actually started running cattle in the big pastures and had dairy goats closer to the house and barn.  Esther was the first goat that I ever milked.  She had a luxurious hide of auburn bristles that shined like the Cadillac's spoked wheels in the sunlight.  When I initially grasped Esther's teats, she let out the most exhilarating bellow of ecstasy, and then and there, I learned how to please a woman. 

We were a thousand miles from nowhere.  Wheat fields as far as we could see.  Both needing something from each other.  Not knowing yet what that might be.

To be continued........

Sell those movie rights, make a fortune.  Looking forward to the continuation of this saga!

• 2 weeks later...

One unusually balmy morning, I slipped out to the barn extra early to get my hands on those teats.  Thinking that I was alone with the nanny goats, I prepared a romantic setting of wildflowers, succulent grains, and Travis Tritt music for my ladies.  To my surprise, the grizzled old county veterinarian had arrived earlier than I did and she proceeded to startle me by snapping on her rubber examination gloves.  My head spun around and we exchanged pleasantries.  As our eyes locked, I could sense that she wasn't there to just worm the goats.  I'd later find out that my aunt had sold my (human) virginity to pay off a poker debt.  I was young, and raised to respect authority, so I easily slipped into a submissive role to this very experienced dominatrix.  We had an audience of bleating and baying nannies for our outdoor exhibitionist show.  My nervous sweat mixed with the dust to fill in the vet's numerous and deep wrinkles in her sun-baked forehead.  The illusion of a younger woman filled my mind as I passed my "inspection" with flying colors.

To be continued......