IGNORED

Why I did it

spicewookie

I hope some of you have enjoyed riding the tails at Pace Bend. However, those trails were originally built for these 3 ladies here. When I started on PB, the youngest daughter wasn’t even born yet. All 3 of them have built trail and supported me from the beginning.  Saturday was the first time that all 4 of us pedaled our own bikes on legit trail at PB. We’ve done trailers, racks, backpacks, hikes, trail work, camping, and everything else at PB, but Saturday was a first. Thank you to everyone that helped build my family a place to ride near our house!  You know who you are. 

B97C60E4-09B2-461E-A251-0130E44AA04F.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spicewookie said:

...in my experience.  20" gets hung up too easy.

The Wookie is back.  Using 20" and hung in the same post.

Seriously, I hope those three ladies enjoyed the trails at Pace Bend as much as the rest of us.  We owe them and you quite a bit for the experiences shared out there.

• Haha 2

We had a blast.  I was hoping for slightly warmer weather, but it was still great.  My wife said that riding in the back, she saw a beautiful sight: me leading the girls down the trail.  That did my heart so good, because I know I left her and the girls at home quite a few hours/days.  Now that we can enjoy it together, I'm a stoked dad.  We are warming up for Spider Mountain!  I took the daughters to Angel Fire this summer, and unfortunately, the eldest took a handlebar to the calf on the first run (she was doing so good, but washed out in a "dumb" berm).  I'm shopping for adjustable-reach v-brake levers now.  Their little hands just can't grab brake comfortably enough to modulate.  

• Like 2

I'm open to trail suggestions for 24" tires.  I've taken them riding at PB (mostly the Pack Trail) and Slaughter Creek.  

I'm looking for minimal ledges (rollover) and minimal climbing.  Those two seem to be the biggest obstacles to their enjoyment.  Don't get me wrong.  I feel that putting my kids in challenging circumstances is very healthy, but I do want them to enjoy most of the ride, so they want to keep it up.  

My thoughts (correct me if I'm wrong):

Muleshoe: too long (big commitment for little legs), too techy in spots, and too much climbing

Reimers: the right loop, i just need to figure it out

Pedernales Falls: the right loop if I can figure out a short one with less tech

McKinney Falls: been too long, but I remember running Kids Trips out there for ARR....10+ years ago

Besides MTB, what are the good granite/paved trails where we could stop at a jungle gym or ice cream?  Sorry, I'm just so set in my ways of riding the trails out west of Austin that I don't know what's good in town.

I know I'm the SATN pimp, but...the SATN has lots of kid friendly stuff.

I put your kid's skills a little above my wife's. We can do pretty much as many miles as we want. Sure, she has to walk every now and then, but not a lot.

Start behind ATX Bikes. Slaughter Creek is running right now and is very scenic. All of that is prettier and "away from civilization" as many state parks are. 

It is disappointing how this thread title built the expectation that some soul-searching and novel-esque attempt would be made to help us better understand your venture into aquarium marketing in a way we might find encouragement to follow, or, possibly sharing of the splendors of goat husbandry and the effects on your life, your goals, meditative aspects, or achievement of some personal Nirvana.

Just sayin'

Oh, and Bluff Creek Ranch might be a suggestion for a weekend camping excursion. The trail through the woods is not too long, and you can bail back to your campsite before getting into the steeper and more technical sections. There is lots of fun to be had building basic skills in the woods section.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I know I'm the SATN pimp, but...the SATN has lots of kid friendly stuff.

I put your kid's skills a little above my wife's. We can do pretty much as many miles as we want. Sure, she has to walk every now and then, but not a lot.

Start behind ATX Bikes. Slaughter Creek is running right now and is very scenic. All of that is prettier and "away from civilization" as many state parks are. 

I'm incredibly sorry to ask this, but I'm completely ignorant about what's available there.  Could you point me towards a map of PM me something if that's more appropriate?  We have pedaled the Circle C city park on Slaughter and stopped to play at the playground when they were littler.  I think we were trail-a-biking then.  Lunch date after made for an awesome day.  

I have saved as favorites three Strava rides where the rider attempted to do all of the SATN. Here is one: https://www.strava.com/activities/1677023345

"behind ATX Bikes" is Circle C Metro park. The gravel trail around the soccer fields is where you most likely rode before. The playground is on it. 

There are three trails that go under Mopac into the Veloway single track trails. More flowy fun stuff. Not much tech, not much elevation. 

There are also several dining options in the shopping center there.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

It is disappointing how this thread title built the expectation that some soul-searching and novel-esque attempt would be made to help us better understand your venture into aquarium marketing in a way we might find encouragement to follow, or, possibly sharing of the splendors of goat husbandry and the effects on your life, your goals, meditative aspects, or achievement of some personal Nirvana.

Just sayin'

I did get an A in Headline Writing at UT.

To quench your desire, it all started when I was a young boy and would travel northwest, to Coleman County, Texas to visit my great aunt and her, dare I say, plethora of sheep.  That tough old broad could shear 200 head each day and still whip up lip-smackin' pot of chili and badsass cobler.  We'd round out the day playing SkipBo and drinking Fuzzy Navels.  My great aunt passed away and my Aunt Ginger and Uncle Dave inherited the sheep ranch.  Uncle Dave spent his days as a land man in the oil business, spread between the Permian Basin and Southeast Texas.  This left my Aunt Ginger home alone on the range.  I spent every summer from 12 years old through high school working sheep, playing SkipBo, and drinking Fuzzy Navels.  Aunt Ginger was struck with Polio in her youth and was confined to a wheelchair.  It never slowed her down, but when I got my learner's permit at 15, I'd chauffeur her across counties to get the best watermelon, or chinese buffet, or steak available.  I got to drive her around in a stretch Cadillac Broughm DeVille with electric everything.  When I wasn't driving Miss Daisy across the badlands for Kung Pow or Loweke Steaks, I'd tend the sheep and sharp-shoot any predators that I felt were a threat.  I became quite a rifle shot with a bolt-action .22.  As I got older, and more trusted, I also became quite the pistolero.   There were 4 stock tanks on the ranch and I preferred to bath in them after an afternoon of fishing.  I shaved my head with the sheep shears and learned to sew up my own ripped pants.  Then........one year, we sold all the sheep and switched to raising GOATS!

To be continued.......

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I have saved as favorites three Strava rides where the rider attempted to do all of the SATN. Here is one: https://www.strava.com/activities/1677023345

"behind ATX Bikes" is Circle C Metro park. The gravel trail around the soccer fields is where you most likely road before. The playground is on it. 

There are three trails that go under Mopac into the Veloway single track trails. More flowy fun stuff. Not much tech, not much elevation. 

There are also several dining options in the shopping center there.

I've taken my boys (6 and 8 now) on a few rides in Circle C park trails between Escarpment and Mopac.  The north bank trails are really good for that age, just a few rock gardens without much up/down climbing.  Post-SATN ride good options are Waterloo Icehouse on Escarpment just north of Slaughter (has beer, obviously and an outdoor playground) with an ice cream shop right next door to boot.  You'll have to cross Slaughter but easily doable at the light at Escarpment.  My boys also like Zpizza after a ride (few doors down from ATX bikes).  As The Tip said, you can also hit the gravel trails west of Escarpment to get to the playground/ball fields.  The single track on that side is probably a bit above level for now as there's more up/down and tech on that side of Escarpment.

3 minutes ago, gdog-1992 said:

I've taken my boys (6 and 8 now) on a few rides in Circle C park trails between Escarpment and Mopac.  The north bank trails are really good for that age, just a few rock gardens without much up/down climbing.  Post-SATN ride good options are Waterloo Icehouse on Escarpment just north of Slaughter (has beer, obviously and an outdoor playground) with an ice cream shop right next door to boot.  You'll have to cross Slaughter but easily doable at the light at Escarpment.  My boys also like Zpizza after a ride (few doors down from ATX bikes).  As The Tip said, you can also hit the gravel trails west of Escarpment to get to the playground/ball fields.  The single track on that side is probably a bit above level for now as there's more up/down and tech on that side of Escarpment.

Thanks, Mr. 'dog!  That's exactly what I'm looking for.  I may have to do a Crank/Drank/Scout ride soon.  My wife used to do a Mommy and Me-type exercise thing at Dick Nichols.  It will be sweet to learn to link those up somehow.  The map is helpful.  After ride treats/beers are also helpful.

You can get in around 5-6 miles just staying in the Dick Nichols area... All very doable for the kind of trails you're looking for. Add the other side of Mopac (the east side) that takes you out to Brodie and up to Davis Lane, out and back you'll get another 4+ miles in. And there are lots of eating places within 5 minutes.

BTW... To get to the east side of Mopac requires no crossing of roads, just an easy trail under it.

Edited by RidingAgain

20 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

You can get in around 5-6 miles just staying in the Dick Nichols area... All very doable for the kind of trails you're looking for. Add the other side of Mopac (the east side) that takes you out to Brodie and up to Davis Lane, out and back you'll get another 4+ miles in. And there are lots of eating places within 5 minutes.

BTW... To get to the east side of Mopac requires no crossing of roads, just and easy trail under it.

Thanks, fellers!  Sounds like i might become a Southie.  The 12yo does good at PB, but the 10yo needs tamer trail on the 24".  Momma W's 29er rolls over anything!

.......When the ranch transitioned to goats, I met my first true love: milking teats.  We actually started running cattle in the big pastures and had dairy goats closer to the house and barn.  Esther was the first goat that I ever milked.  She had a luxurious hide of auburn bristles that shined like the Cadillac's spoked wheels in the sunlight.  When I initially grasped Esther's teats, she let out the most exhilarating bellow of ecstasy, and then and there, I learned how to please a woman. 

We were a thousand miles from nowhere.  Wheat fields as far as we could see.  Both needing something from each other.  Not knowing yet what that might be.

To be continued........

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spicewookie said:

I'm open to trail suggestions for 24" tires.  I've taken them riding at PB (mostly the Pack Trail) and Slaughter Creek.  

I'm looking for minimal ledges (rollover) and minimal climbing.  Those two seem to be the biggest obstacles to their enjoyment.  Don't get me wrong.  I feel that putting my kids in challenging circumstances is very healthy, but I do want them to enjoy most of the ride, so they want to keep it up.  

Muleshoe: too long (big commitment for little legs), too techy in spots, and too much climbing

Reimers: the right loop, i just need to figure it out

Pedernales Falls: the right loop if I can figure out a short one with less tech

McKinney Falls: been too long, but I remember running Kids Trips out there for ARR....10+ years ago

Besides MTB, what are the good granite/paved trails where we could stop at a jungle gym or ice cream?  Sorry, I'm just so set in my ways of riding the trails out west of Austin that I don't know what's good in town.

Brushy Creek's Peddler's Pass.  In the summer you can do the Splash Pad, picnic, rent a kayak, etc.  I'm positive I've seen one of those creepy ice cream trucks parked there in the summer.  My kid rocked Peddler's on his 24" hotrock, then 26" hardrock (this is upgraded and for sale btw) now on a 29er he's moved onto doing deception.  Peddler's is still his favorite trail.

Then there's Suburban Ninja, park at RedHorn, go ride, then go have a drink.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spicewookie said:

Muleshoe: too long (big commitment for little legs), too techy in spots, and too much climbing We are working on bypasses for the 4 or 5 true tech spots on the Muleshoe loop. The first two are done. You can short cut the loop at any of the road crossings. Still would not be my first choice for what you are looking for.

Reimers: the right loop, i just need to figure it out - Good trail choice but not much in the 'non-trail' department. Stick to the Green Loop and maybe the Blue Loop. Working on marking what some ladies are calling the "Ladies Loop" which will be mostly easy but some tech.

Pedernales Falls: the right loop if I can figure out a short one with less tech - Ride Madrone or Wold Mountain. Stay off of Juniper Ridge. All of your ladies won't like it. Too long. Too technical.

McKinney Falls: been too long, but I remember running Kids Trips out there for ARR....10+ years ago Never been so I'm no help.

I also suggest the SATN. Lots of options. Most are easy with little climbing. Rock gardens are the most common tech. I would suggest the Dick Nichols area trails and Violet Crown Trail.

See my comments in your list above.

ETA - And THANKS for doing it. Pace Bend that is.

Edited by cxagent

1 hour ago, TheX said:

My wife of 20 years has never been able to ride with me, lots of health challenges over the years. I ride alone a LOT,. I think riding with family would be amazing! Super jelly.

I *LOVE* riding with my wife. I tell her we can ride any trail at any pace she wants to ride. That is until she drops me and I can't keep up 😉

Wookie, for the brake levers for the girls...pick up a set of Avid Speed Dial 7s. You can adjust the reach for little hands (my 6 year old uses them just fine) and the little red dial helps adjust the modulation at the lever. My son can lock 'em up for rad skids, or he can scrub speed as necessary.

My only complaint is that you have to slide on the levers from the end of the bar. So you'll have to take off the grips.

Brushy Creek's Peddler's Pass.  In the summer you can do the Splash Pad, picnic, rent a kayak, etc.  I'm positive I've seen one of those creepy ice cream trucks parked there in the summer.  My kid rocked Peddler's on his 24" hotrock, then 26" hardrock (this is upgraded and for sale btw) now on a 29er he's moved onto doing deception.  Peddler's is still his favorite trail.
Then there's Suburban Ninja, park at RedHorn, go ride, then go have a drink.

Done this too. Peddlers, then ride BCRT over the dam and from the dam east it’s a nice crush granite path with several parks.

If it’s wet we’ve ridden the pave’ path in G’town from San Gabriel Park towards the dam. There’s several parks along it and it crosses the river on several lower water crossings that are good stopping points. You can also cross over in San Gabriel park and go over to the blue hole park for a nice swim. It was my go to for Trailer / trail-a-bike sanity rides. It was fun to see mine actually be able to ride the whole thing on her own before becoming a jaded teen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk