IGNORED

Getting a new bike...

Dawn

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I am just building one and I have most of the parts, so mine will not count for anything except some cloudy days.

IIRC, the rules clearly state that no more than three new parts can be added/assembled per week to restrict the natural rain reaction to only being raised to an overcast/cloudy condition.

No more than one new part per any 24 hour period can be added.

Any previously used part may be added at will with no effect, unless it has been restored/painted/refurbished to a "like new" condition, then it will count as half a new part towards the rain reaction index for that rider.

There are some allowances for starting a screw or bolt, but not tightening it, and, for holding a part in place to measure or inspect fit will not contribute to precipitation unless photographed and/or viewed by more than three riders.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Does replacing 6 pivot bushings and a rocker pivot count for anything?

To date, those studying the relationship between rain and new bike/gear purchases have found that routine maintenance has an immeasurable effect on this phenomenon.

You may sleep easier than those with new bikes and gear who are most responsible for the plague of rain that has besmirched our trails. 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

IIRC, the rules clearly state that no more than three new parts can be added/assembled per week to restrict the natural rain reaction to only being raised to an overcast/cloudy condition.

No more than one new part per any 24 hour period can be added.

Any previously used part may be added at will with no effect, unless it has been restored/painted/refurbished to a "like new" condition, then it will count as half a new part towards the rain reaction index for that rider.

There are some allowances for starting a screw or bolt, but not tightening it, and, for holding a part in place to measure or inspect fit will not contribute to precipitation unless photographed and/or viewed by more than three riders.

That might be my cadence. I have a new wheel set (technically, eBay) and a couple donated parts. The rest come from my parts bin.

6 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

That might be my cadence. I have a new wheel set (technically, eBay) and a couple donated parts. The rest come from my parts bin.

Sounds like mitigating circumstances to me. May even fall under maintenance, unless you post a photo, then all bets are off of course.

Good work!

5 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

routine maintenance has an immeasurable effect on this phenomenon.

Be careful though - while routine maintenance has an immeasurable effect, repairs certainly have a marked effect.  The amplitude of the effect is directly related to the rideability of the bike before and after the repair.   Replacing a worn grip might bring a couple of clouds, replacing a non-functioning drivetrain however, can have a similar effect to a new bike - especially given the delicate rain situation we find ourselves in these days.

Climate change is real - and it's caused by mtn bikers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

What happens when you add a front fender and add mud protection to your suspension linkage? If you prepare for riding in the rain/mud, does it have a reverse effect?

You're one of those who really likes to push the envelope, aren't cha? Adding anything "new" to a bike counts toward increasing the potential rain index result.

This question of adding specific wet riding accessories falls out of the realm of new bike / rain correlation and falls more squarely into the realm of Murphy's Law.

Paying for and installing any equipment to address a specific situation will be met by Murphy no longer providing that situation. Thus making the purchase seem a waste of both time and money. Therefore, doing so would likely have the reverse effect, and simultaneously increase the rain index quotient (because NEW), effectively resulting in a nullification of both.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

When I go to the beach I'll always take a stunt kite and a Frisbee. This really confuses Murphy and often results in winds coming and going all day long while I switch from one to the other.

It seems unlikely the same relationship will exist between mountain bikes and kayaks, though the relationship found between a new kayak and drought seems plausible.

Buying a new kayak may just do the trick.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, AntonioGG said:

Does replacing 6 pivot bushings and a rocker pivot count for anything?

I replaced all of the bearings on my mach6 and installed the upgraded linkage, a month ago. Maybe this weekend

Edited by JRA
  • Like 2