IGNORED

I think I set a new personal record.

zrx24

28 minutes ago, zrx24 said:

After the first ride I felt the need to cut down the bars just a tad 

If you can hold off cutting down your bars, you might give the wide ones some time to see if you adjust.  I hated my wide bars when I first got them but I resisted the urge to cut them because I didn't want to cut too much and then have to buy new bars.  After a few rides, I started getting used to it.  Now, if I get on another bike with smaller bars, it feels weird.  There are all sorts of benefits to wide bars that you might like if you can handle the change.

Big question....have you tried the drug that is a dropper post?

7 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

If you can hold off cutting down your bars, you might give the wide ones some time to see if you adjust.  I hated my wide bars when I first got them but I resisted the urge to cut them because I didn't want to cut too much and then have to buy new bars.  After a few rides, I started getting used to it.  Now, if I get on another bike with smaller bars, it feels weird.  There are all sorts of benefits to wide bars that you might like if you can handle the change.

Big question....have you tried the drug that is a dropper post?

The bars on this used bike were most definitely too wide for me.  Definitely better now.  They're at 720mm now, so still wide by today's standards.

Don't have a dropper post, but it seems that's all everyone is talking about these days.  I held out for almost 20 years before upgrading to disc brakes.  So given my record, It'll probably be a while before I give a dropper post a try.  lol  

720 is definitely NARROW by today's standards.

I recently started using a dropper post for real. I can ride the same stuff with a regular post, but it sure feels nice to get the saddle out of the way for short bursts of twisty trail, drops, and jumps.

My old dropper is for sale too.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I recently started using a dropper post for real. I can ride the same stuff with a regular post, but it sure feels nice to get the saddle out of the way for short bursts of twisty trail, drops, and jumps.

Now you have MY curiosity up.  Why the dropper post upgrade?  Weight savings?  Better function?  Curious minds must know!

The bars on this used bike were most definitely too wide for me.  Definitely better now.  They're at 720mm now, so still wide by today's standards.
Don't have a dropper post, but it seems that's all everyone is talking about these days.  I held out for almost 20 years before upgrading to disc brakes.  So given my record, It'll probably be a while before I give a dropper post a try.  lol  

720 is wide?
I agree with you though about droppers
Totally over rated by those who don’t know how to adjust their bodies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I agree with you though about droppers
Totally over rated by those who don’t know how to adjust their bodies

While most everything we talk about is subject and a matter of personal preference, I could not disagree more with this statement after recently starting to ride with one.  No matter how capable I am of adjusting my body on a bike, nothing changes the fact that the saddle is in the way for maneuvers like dropping off ledges or hopping over logs.  As recently as a month ago, I also though that dropper posts were overrated and not worth the downsides.  Like many who swear by them after running with one, I think it's the best upgrade for most trails we have around Austin.

• Like 3

While most everything we talk about is subject and a matter of personal preference, I could not disagree more with this statement after recently starting to ride with one.  No matter how capable I am of adjusting my body on a bike, nothing changes the fact that the saddle is in the way for maneuvers like dropping off ledges or hopping over logs.  As recently as a month ago, I also though that dropper posts were overrated and not worth the downsides.  Like many who swear by them after running with one, I think it's the best upgrade for most trails we have around Austin.
Whatever works for you. I understand I am in the minority on this subject. The only reason I had one is that it came with the bike. I tried but decided the best upgrade was removing it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

FWIW, I saw a 30.9 version of the same dropper you are selling, rebranded as Performance' house brand for $68 at the Lamar store last week.

Damn, guess I'll throw mine in the trash then since it's not worth the time it's taken to sell the thing.

I bought a 30.9 PNW Bachelor. The 2018 ones were still around for $200 instead of $300.

Edited by mack_turtle

20 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Damn, guess I'll throw mine in the trash then since it's not worth the time it's taken to sell the thing.

I just meant that if you wanted one that fit there was a bargain to be had. The one you are selling is a good dropper and it is a fair price. Performance had it at 60% off their retail.

Mine came in from Chain Reaction in England a few days before I saw that one.

Edited by Ridenfool

12 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I've actually gone the opposite as I realized that I rarely use mine so I ditched it on my hardtail, and thinking of doing the same on the other bikes.

6 hours ago, natas1321 said:

I've actually gone the opposite as I realized that I rarely use mine so I ditched it on my hardtail, and thinking of doing the same on the other bikes.

I just don't get these new fangled steam engines. I'll just keep on plowing my field with this ole mule.

If you find yourself not using your dropper much, that's great news. It means you have that much more potential to get faster by better utilizing your equipment. Droppers allow you to lower your center of gravity. You can corner and descend faster with a lower center of gravity. It's science. 

• Like 2

Use a dropper, don't use a dropper....that's totally your call and no one should care but you.  I'm just asking if you've tried using it and investigated if it benefits your riding style.  For me, it gives me more confidence and comfort which translates into more fun on my bike.  I rode without one for a long time and did the same trails so it won't suddenly change what you're able to do.  That being said, I'd happily take my bike out if someone cut my shift cables.  However, if my dropper is not working, I'm going to have a maintenance day.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, notyal said:

I just don't get these new fangled steam engines. I'll just keep on plowing my field with this ole mule.

If you find yourself not using your dropper much, that's great news. It means you have that much more potential to get faster by better utilizing your equipment. Droppers allow you to lower your center of gravity. You can corner and descend faster with a lower center of gravity. It's science. 

alternately they are keeping their seat too low for ideal climbing so they can improve their climbing times by raising their seat to the optimal height.

• Like 1

I've never ridden with a dropper. Been seriously thinking about it because of the length of my legs I ride with a pretty high seatpost level and can see how being able to adjust the seat height might make things a bit easier.

Thing is, I learned to mountain bike — including racing — using this high seatpost level with a bike frame that was somewhat short for me in the top tube; which meant I had to learn to make body adjustments really quickly to avoid OTB falls. But another thing that I learned was how to quickly transition back in order to get leg power. I guess in Florida we didn't have any kind of extended downhills, just short stuff with maybe punchy uphills right after. So it was kind of a get your butt off the back of the seat then back up deal.

With a dropper post I wonder how quickly all of the required movement can take place along with the trigger fiddling that's needed. I can see if you know you're coming to an extended downhil section, but what do folks do when short down/up sections are encountered... Do you just keep the dropper at its high setting?

Kind of like at Walnut Creek... Do folks make use of their dropper on WC type trails?

Edited by RidingAgain

It depends on the size of the feature and how hard I want to hit it.  Also I do trigger my dropper 100 times a ride probably.  Usually it's all the way up or down, but if I'm in an extended rock crawling section I'll just drop it an inch or so.

Once you get used to it it's not just about descending, you use it to get low in hard corners too.  And to bunny hop higher.  Everywhere really.  

• Like 4

I've never really wanted one until visiting Bentonville this past fall, and then the ride I had last weekend further irritated that itch. There were multiple portions of the ride I thought it would have been nice. Not needed of course, I rode fine without it. But it would have made some of the descents/rough sections more fun.

Some naysayers remind me of the the saying "A poor craftsman blames his tools"

A lot of settings and features on a bike are never touched by some riders. This may be more about how well they notice subtle changes, as those a dropper, suspension settings, derailer settings, and such can affect their experience on the bike.

Clearly, for those who are able to realize an advantage, having the flexibility to adjust things can make the ride experience quite a bit richer. Choice is ALWAYS better than no choice, IMHO.

Fortunately, there is always the choice for anyone for whom the option to fine tune the bike offers no real advantage to them, and they may either not install it or simply never touch such settings if they are there. Most importantly, just because it wasn't for them in no way means it wouldn't be appreciated by another rider.

Edited by Ridenfool