IGNORED

Lake Georgetown (Goodwater Trail) Trail Conditions

Albert

14 minutes ago, Shakey Start said:

I honestly don’t know how to Facebook, and I’m only 31. 

Can you provide any more info on this? I planned to start at cedar breaks Saturday morning at 7-7:30 and ride clockwise. 

If this is not an option, what should I do? I’ve only been there one other time and started at Cedar Breaks. 

4 minutes ago, Shakey Start said:

Ok, went to FB and copied the paragraph: "Russell park has been closed this last week due to open in February for some serious upgrades and maintenance."

So , its Russell Park, NOT Cedar Breaks.  Sorry for the earlier wrong info.

Yes, and you can ride through Russell on the trail without any issues (I did so a week ago). 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Overlook park parking and parking lot from Booty’s  rd are closed due to civic restrictions. 

Went to Goodwater yesterday from Cedar Breaks. It was muuuuuuuuuuuudy! I was running carefully so as not to slip. I was surprised not necessarily at the amount of people, but at the amount of people who were carefully stepping around the mud, dressed up nice, with cut little manicured dogs, etc Anyway, yeah, muddy from Cedar Breaks to Crockett. But what else did we expect?

Edited by B.J.

• 2 months later...

I generally feel nervous trepidation when I see cycling promoted like that. It's great! Uh, yeah, it's great...then I remember I'm not Anthony Kiedis protecting my stretch of beach from Keanu Reeves. More users means more advocacy. 

From the article: 

The bicycle shop, located at 3010 Williams Drive, Ste. 118, Georgetown, offers a free T-shirt to cyclists who can offer proof that they completed the entire loop, Littlefield said.

Free t-shirt? Well, you better stock up on those shirts, buddy! *sees the shirt* You know, you probably have enough. 

Over the past 10 years, Littlefield estimates he has completed the loop approximately 20 times.

image.png.c96b2b5d9a4469f0870fb97ac6229dd7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha! yeah, sometimes that kind of press is not good for the trail.

I had to convince a women not to ride her bike with her kids in a trailer on the Violet Crown Trail from Brodie/290 to Zilker Park. when people hear "trail" they often think "walking path". I think the author at least attempted to make it clear that this is not a place to bring your hybrid and your kids' balance bikes.

8 hours ago, Barry said:

More users means more advocacy. 

More of us should understand this concept. Of course it doesn't always help, but if there are more of us than them it makes things possible.

Also, I believe, the more press and discussion about trails, the more they are a "real" thing. Real things are easier to protect than hearsay and mystical concepts.

But it is a trade off for sure. 

• Like 1

Thats funny, I'm not sure how many laps I've made out there??....12-15?  But I've done more 2 lap (& 3 lap) days out there than I've done single lap days.  That said, after a few laps out there (on one day), I really don't care to go back for quite a while.

Later,
CJB

Loved the article. Paul is an awesome guy who rides with absolute steez. Super humble but kicks total ass. He also happens to run the friendliest bike shop in Texas. I’m a proud owner of the LGT Dragon shirt. It’s fun and IMO a great way to promote the trail. Hope all of y’all get to experience the unique experience of the Dragon. Perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, but WOW! Always feels like a badass old Tejas backcountry mission. It is an amazing (but grueling) experience that is special in a way all its own.

Happy trails, and watch out for snakes!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Any idea how the trail is right now? Do you have to bushwack between Sawyer and Tejas?

With the heavy amount of rain we got yesterday morning and a little more just now, I would not go anywhere near Lake Georgetown right now.

..Al

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Besides the fact that the little sections of rock will rut, it will kill your drivetrain in 200’ with that sticky mud and rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 2nd this. This is where I learned to not ride wet trails. Before I was properly educated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Albert said:

With the heavy amount of rain we got yesterday morning and a little more just now, I would not go anywhere near Lake Georgetown right now.

..Al

Was planning on next weekend, not today or tomorrow.

So is the section outside of Tejas overgrown currently?

• 3 months later...

Took a couple of first timers out for a lap around the lake yesterday and the trails were in superb condition. Oddly although I've ridden the loop a half dozen times in the past, I ended up veering left at a point just a few miles in from Cedar Breaks that added about a 1.5 mile loop. I was about to do it again a second time when we all stopped, thinking we were going in circles. Sure enough I kept missing the main trail that stays right at that point. The good news is that there is a screaming downhill section on that added loop that is hands down the most fun stretch of trail out there. 

@Morris Glad we met up out there - couldn't have asked for a better outing on such a nice day.   

EDIT: You can see the extra small loop on the south side - highly recommend it if you haven't ridden that before. We made up for it on the north side by skipping that little loop through the meadow with the creek crossing. Honestly I never even noticed the turn off for that one - might be overgrown.   

image.thumb.png.bfe5d8865adc66e220c91d35913a3453.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was my Longest Ride by far it was around 30 miles, longest before was 12.5, added a few miles because we had to double back to the truck in cedar breaks, my brother-in-law forgot to wear his helmet and neither of us realized till taking a selfie haha

Ill do it again ..it was pretty crowded with hikers on trails around the parks, would be better during week but to be expected with the temps..I actually had water left in my camelback

And thanks for the free t-shirt cyclewerx, thats cool of them

6cf4bacb9d02ef6b76de7a94a3b626c2.jpg843bd922294f95c9dbdc28bbfdb1a383.jpg

• Like 2