IGNORED

Lake Georgetown (Goodwater Trail) Trail Conditions

Albert

• 2 months later...

Despite the chilly temps yesterday, it was a great day for a lap around the lake. Trails were in great shape! Chose my preferred starting point this time around - Tejas Park going CW. I like using that long stretch of flat ground as a warm-up. It was great finally getting to meet @ATXZJ for a ride. Hope you enjoyed your first LGT lap bro!   

• Like 4

On 1/10/2021 at 8:00 AM, skinned elbows said:

There is a foot race happening on Jan 30 just fyi in case anyone plans on going out there, it might be little crowded with marathoners so another day may be better

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

My ankles hurt just thinking about it.  That place makes you earn your turns for sure.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

There are a couple of trees down on Cedar Breaks and the grass is super tall in the usual areas.  The rest of the loop is clear but there are lots of deep dry ruts and still a few wet areas with a solid bottom but with too many people riding wide and making more ruts.  All the creek crossings had water.  As hot as it has been it’s crazy that there are still so many wet spots.  

• 2 months later...

Rode Overlook to Russell last weekend and trails were fine but the Johnson grass and general growth are quite high. Makes it more challenging as you can’t see around corners for line choices, etc but basically it’s still a rocky beast and fun as hell.  Went out there again this morning  but too wet to hit the dirt.  If it stays dry this week all will be well for the long weekend. 

• Like 1

Rode cedar breaks to spring and back...the trail was in good condition, high grass by the lake of course so wear long sleeves and pull your socks up if you don't want to get itchy .. still haven't cleared the climb up to cliffs its a doosey...only saw a few teenagers there and back definitely better than the weekend traffic wise

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looped the lake yesterday - at least 4 big trees down and looks like they have been there for a while based on how burned in the reroutes are. A couple are in really dangerous spots, one at head level in the middle of a south side downhill. 

In addition there’s miles of overgrowth on the south and north near Tejas. Ruined a pair of socks and jersey just from all the little burrs and at times you can’t even tell where the trail is  if there was a lot of traffic out there I’d be afraid of head on collisions given how tall it all is.  

I’ve ridden here for years and it’s amazing to see how blown out and eroded a lot of spots are getting.  But it’s still an epic adventure and so thankful to have this option where I live!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

There are several downed trees\branches on Lake Georgetown between Cedar Breaks and Tejas.  Whose permission\blessing do I need to clear this section?  

Just read the post above and its sounds like Lee Compton is the guy to talk to.  Can someone PM his info?

Thanks!

Edited by JRIDER

41 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

There are several downed trees\branches on Lake Georgetown between Cedar Breaks and Tejas.  Whose permission\blessing do I need to clear this section?  

Just read the post above and its sounds like Lee Compton is the guy to talk to.  Can someone PM his info?

He's on Facebook: 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008168020388

That's a rather big section.  😄  I will send him a text and let him know, but if you want to do the work yourself, I'm sure he'd be happy to have the help, as long as you prune any branches down to their base and don't leave stumps.  And if you intend on using power tools, you'd definitely want to talk to him first.  Of course, you probably already know this. 

52 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

Thanks!

We will contact the rangers and see if we can get a work day in.  I believe bow hunting is currently active on the south side of the trail around Cedar Breaks.  They had the park closed and everyone was hiking at Hogg. I talked to the gate attendant when I was clearing a tree at Hogg and he informed me they had hunting on the south side open. 

Are most of the tress located before or after the 5mi marker, the 5 mile marker is after Cedar Hollow???

4 minutes ago, ARR said:

We will contact the rangers and see if we can get a work day in.  I believe bow hunting is currently active on the south side of the trail around Cedar Breaks.  They had the park closed and everyone was hiking at Hogg. I talked to the gate attendant when I was clearing a tree at Hogg and he informed me they had hunting on the south side open. 

Are most of the tress located before or after the 5mi marker, the 5 mile marker is after Cedar Hollow???

I want to say most trees would be between mile markers 3-5.  It would require a chainsaw to cut these which is why I'm asking here.

I did a loop on the 19th. The north side was totally clear but there were 5-6 on the south side. I marked the first two but then gave up, the last one was getting pretty close to where it drops down to the flat run to Tejas. So yeah, it covers a big stretch unfortunately. I should have kept marking them.

Screenshot_20231027_092924_Connect.jpg

Edited by GFisher