IGNORED

Lake Georgetown (Goodwater Trail) Trail Conditions

Albert

Last week a freak microburst took down a large number of trees at Lake Georgetown between Cedar Breaks and Cedar Hollow.  A small group of us went out there today to clear as much as we could. We managed to clear everything between Cedar Hollow and Crockett Springs.  Crocket Springs was hit especially hard, many downed trees in a small area.  Two very large trees that used to provide shade were uprooted and laying flat on the ground, and that area took the longest to clear. 

There are still a few trees down between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs, but those should get cleaned up this week.  

Here's a gallery of photos from our work today: 

• Thanks 2

Wow Al!  Good on you guys for tackling that!  I was just commenting in the DS event thread about this.  It was (is) some of the worst tree-fall I'd ever seen in Austin.  I'd even considered canceling the (unofficial) DS pre-ride next Monday because of it.  I rode LGT (and more) yesterday and that area was a HUGE PIA to get through.

Thanks!  -CJB

Yeah, it was crazy to see so many downed trees, including several rather large ones (at least large for the Austin area!)  We had four people, two with chainsaws and two dragging everything off the trail.  Worked out pretty well, and I'm surprised we were able to clear as much as we did.  Definitely would have been a big pain in the ass to ride through.  And we did have a group of about six riders pass us in that area while we were out there!  😄

I think @DesertNomad will make an effort to get any remaining downed trees cleaned up this week. 

..Al

Wow, great job getting that cleaned up.  I came through about a half hour behind Cody and it was ugly.  We got through but I'm blaming the tree fall for my ride going to hell (couldn't possibly be fitness, nutrition, or heat).

i honestly thought it would take much longer to clear that all out.

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

Nature is telling us that we need more trail features out there.  I'm thinking some Northshore style skinnies over the worst rocks.

There are two man-made bridges out there.  Then there's that giant dam.  That's not enough for you?  😄

3 hours ago, endo_ said:

Hopefully for everyone’s benefit the trees are cleared along with all the damn rocks.

Yeah, I get this ain't what you mean, but I actually think riding along the dam rocks would be fun. It has been done in other locations, Chattanooga's Raccoon Mountain, for example:

raccoon-mtb.jpg

I'm also a fan of the damn rocks, btw.

Edited by Barry

Wow, is that the dam at Lake Georgetown?  Did they actually make a path there going partway through those rocks?  I remember having to skirt along the left edge of them and it being a bit challenging!!  I haven't been up that side in a long time. 

The photo is a dam at Racoon Mountain in Chattanooga. The trail goes around the lake, and the only way through the spillway was to go up on the dam wall. It is a pretty spectacular little section of trail, and took hundreds of hours to position the rocks, as I understand it. 

Throet and I got back out there today and cleared the remaining trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  Trail should now be good to go between Cedar Breaks and Cedar Hollow.  Hopefully there aren't any more trees down beyond that, but there may be some elsewhere on the trail.  We also cleaned up the trail across the small creek shortly before Crockett Springs (heading west). 

Here's some photos of downed trees and our work: 

5 hours ago, Barry said:

The photo is a dam at Racoon Mountain in Chattanooga. The trail goes around the lake, and the only way through the spillway was to go up on the dam wall. It is a pretty spectacular little section of trail, and took hundreds of hours to position the rocks, as I understand it. 

Thanks for the additional information.  I would have been impressed if this was done at Lake Georgetown.  The rock work does look very well done!

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, Albert said:

Throet and I got back out there today and cleared the remaining trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  Trail should now be good to go between Cedar Breaks and Cedar Hollow.  Hopefully there aren't any more trees down beyond that, but there may be some elsewhere on the trail.  We also cleaned up the trail across the small creek shortly before Crockett Springs (heading west). 

How do I get on the list to help?  FYI, I am chain saw certified through the Forest Industry Safety Training Alliance if more chain saw work is needed.

• Albert changed the title to Lake Georgetown (Goodwater Trail) Trail Conditions