IGNORED

Brushy trail sequencing

eloteman187

Starting from west end (YMCA or 183A Trailhead), I like to drop in at Dave's Ditch / Glitch off the BCRT and take the first sharp left up that connects to Rim. Stay to the right at the top and ride through a couple of g-outs before looping back in the opposite direction to stay on Rim. Follow Rim to the end, and take the climb on the right, which is the beginning of Up-and-Over, which leads to Deception (Double Down). Ride that first section of DD W-to-E until you hit the Picnic Bailout. Bail to your left to jump on PicnicX, and go right at the first fork. Follow Picnic X all the way to Picnic, and then stay to the right to follow Upper Picnic. Stay on Upper Picnic and either follow it all the way to the end or you can choose from a number of drops on your left and then follow the rest of Lower Picnic to the end at BCRT.

At this point, depending on how much you're wanting to ride, you can follow the BCRT to hit Mulligan, Peddler's Pass, and the Candyland section of trails. When you're ready to head back east, enter Deception (1/4 Notch) at the easternmost end and follow it all the way to the end (1/4 Notch turns into Double Down at the Swag bail). You'll now be back on the jeep road that separates Deception from Up-and-Over, and you will have ridden the westernmost section of Double Down in both directions. Now take Up-and-Over back to Rim and ride it in the opposite direction from where you started. When you get to the end of Rim though, climb up the hill to your left and loop back around into the very top of Dave's Ditch, where there is a really fun swooping descent. Caution here though that if it's wet and slimy, it can be very dangerous. You'll end up coming out of the ditch back at the BCRT where you started.

Now if you still have something left in the tank, head over to any number of ascents up to the ridge sitting behind the YMCA. At the top, to the right of the cement drainage ditch that is near the 183A trailhead, you'll find the Snail Trails that are great fun with a few challenges mixed in. Just riding the Rim, Deception, Picnic loop that I described will give you 1.5 to 2.5 hours of riding depending on your fitness and abilities. Adding in any combination of the other stuff can give you another 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on various factors, such as how many laps of goodness you choose to consume at Peddler's Pass. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

As a corollary to the route info, are there preferred places to park a vehicle?

Any places to avoid parking?

This could be useful in the Trail Forks info.

Can't really speak to the parking since I always ride from my house, but I suppose if I had to pick a place to park it would be either 1) Twin Lakes YMCA for W-E looping as I described or 2) Brushy Creek Lake Park for E-W looping with Peddler's / Candyland mixed in. 

Starting at the skate park, ride Mulligan, Picnic Loop, Deception east to west crossing over to the trail that leads to Rim Trail up to Dave's Ditch and down.  Maybe Snail Trail, maybe not.  The flow there seems to be getting better.  Ride back to Picnic X taking the big drop and then finishing on the upper part of Picnic back to the parking lot.  The other stuff is not worth it at all.  Well, maybe the trail just east of and below  Parmer but not the trail on the west.  Repetitive AF.

Nah.  Start at my house.  Ride to the YMCA, go down snail (skip the YMCA trail), Dave's ditch (or maybe just up to the start of rimjob), rimjob w->e, then picnic X/picnic w->e to meet with friends at skatepark, or if alone, deception w->e, then mulligan if feeling it. peddler's if giving a shit, then either picnic e->w or deception e->w, rimjob e->w then home.  If meeting friends - above, but then wander over to suburban ninja, have a beer at redhorn, then gumdrop back to parking lot and then over to brooklyn heights for more beer and wings/pizza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually park at Champion Park.  Here's my preferred route: 

• Gumdrop, Snow White, and Gnargasm 
  • Caddyshack (optional)
  • Take upper trail back to Snow White, exit at bottom of Snow White
  • Cross bridge, left onto singletrack along BCRT 
  • Cross dam
  • Peddler's Pass 
  • Singletrack opposite Peddler's under Parmer
  • Mulligan
  • Picnic all the way to the end
  • Up and Over (trail opposite end of Deception) to Rim Job
  • Rim Job
  • Dave's Ditch (if not wet)
  • Up Rainbow
  • Down YMCA
  • Up YMCA
  • Down Rainbow
  • Picnic to Deception bail out 
  • Up Deception Bailout to Double Down entrance
  • 1/4 Notch backwards (I think it flows better in this direction!) 
  • BCRT back to Deception Bailout 
  • Upper Picnic east until end 
  • Singletrack along BCRT opposite sports park that exits opposite Peddler's Pass.
  • Peddler's Pass
  • Snow White and Gumdrop backwards
  • Back to car 

I think that's about 25 miles, don't think I've actually done EVERYTHING listed above in one ride, but I will next time I'm out there and I have enough time.  Also need to ride the trail that begins behind The Peddler bike shop.

..Al

16 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Starting at the skate park, ride Mulligan, Picnic Loop, Deception east to west crossing over to the trail that leads to Rim Trail up to Dave's Ditch and down.  Maybe Snail Trail, maybe not.  The flow there seems to be getting better.  Ride back to Picnic X taking the big drop and then finishing on the upper part of Picnic back to the parking lot.  The other stuff is not worth it at all.  Well, maybe the trail just east of and below  Parmer but not the trail on the west.  Repetitive AF.

"the flow seems to be getting better there" haha, classic, I wonder how that happens. Must be magic. It always amazes me how many people are clueless about how trails come to be, get better and are maintained.

And West of Parmer "Repetitive AF", I guess so if you don't like berms, rollers, bridges, fast turns, slow turns, flat S turns, bermed S turns, long sweeping corners, tight corners, tree gates, rocks, roots, open areas, wooded areas, downhill parts, uphill parts, a drop, places where you can get airborne etc. yes it's sssooo much more repetitive than Picnic.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

And West of Parmer "Repetitive AF", I guess so if you don't like berms, rollers, bridges, fast turns, slow turns, flat S turns, bermed S turns, long sweeping corners, tight corners, tree gates, rocks, roots, open areas, wooded areas, downhill parts, uphill parts, a drop, places where you can get airborne etc. yes it's sssooo much more repetitive than Picnic.

When will you have beer and pizza available on the trail? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HoneyBadger said:

"the flow seems to be getting better there" haha, classic, I wonder how that happens. Must be magic. It always amazes me how many people are clueless about how trails come to be, get better and are maintained.

I'll bite; here's some of my resume. My first volunteer trail building was at the Nantahala Outdoor Center on the Flint Ridge Trail in 1995.  I started my trail building company in 2004.   I've worked on almost every trail that can legally be biked in Austin and many that are hiking only among others.  I've designed, built, and maintained cross country, flow, and downhill trails in 14 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico.  I designed and built over 10 miles of the trails Trek Bicycle Corporation uses to test some of their bikes and product.   I have over 1K hours in an excavator, 500 hours in a skid steer, and about 1K hours running a walk-behind skid steer building and maintaining trails. Nah, I don't know shit about trails.  What's your experience? 

As far as my statement about the trail immediately west of Parmer, I stand by it.  It's not an attack on the designer(s);  I just don't like that style of trail.  I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of guy...maintained flow over stilted flow. But you do you.

5 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Nah.  Start at my house.  Ride to the YMCA, go down snail (skip the YMCA trail), Dave's ditch (or maybe just up to the start of rimjob), rimjob w->e, then picnic X/picnic w->e to meet with friends at skatepark, or if alone, deception w->e, then mulligan if feeling it. peddler's if giving a shit, then either picnic e->w or deception e->w, rimjob e->w then home.  If meeting friends - above, but then wander over to suburban ninja, have a beer at redhorn, then gumdrop back to parking lot and then over to brooklyn heights for more beer and wings/pizza.

That was a good ride, Chuck.

4 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

I'll bite; here's some of my resume. My first volunteer trail building was at the Nantahala Outdoor Center on the Flint Ridge Trail in 1995.  I started my trail building company in 2004.   I've worked on almost every trail that can legally be biked in Austin and many that are hiking only among others.  I've designed, built, and maintained cross country, flow, and downhill trails in 14 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico.  I designed and built over 10 miles of the trails Trek Bicycle Corporation uses to test some of their bikes and product.   I have over 1K hours in an excavator, 500 hours in a skid steer, and about 1K hours running a walk-behind skid steer building and maintaining trails. Nah, I don't know shit about trails.  What's your experience? 

As far as my statement about the trail immediately west of Parmer, I stand by it.  It's not an attack on the designer(s);  I just don't like that style of trail.  I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of guy...maintained flow over stilted flow. But you do you.

If you have so much experience, why don't you help us build on the trails you ride?

20 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

If you have so much experience, why don't you help us build on the trails you ride?

I get paid to work on IT stuff all day. I don't take my work home with me. Many folks share this mindset.

If a professional trail builder were to feel the same way it wouldn't be all that surprising. I certainly wouldn't blame them for wanting to ride trails in their spare time.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I would love to help at Brushy Creek.  So many of the work days are not announced and done by a small group of people.  I'm not in that group.  I'd love to help with designing new trail, troubleshooting existing trail, drainage issues, flow issues, etc.  The workdays I hear about are calls for people to help build berms; my skills are not necessarily needed for that, though many of us on a Tuesday evening earlier this month worked on berms on the Windy Trail at WC.  

I showed up once for a workday at BC several years ago when Randy Bell was coming out to look at some issues.  Before he came, I mentioned that some of the tree branches were not cut at the shoulder and are a risk for riders so I started trimming them back.  I was told it wasn't a priority. Then Randy showed up and mentioned the same thing.  I felt like my help was not wanted due to this and other things that day.  

Edited by WhoAmI
  • Like 2

I would love to help at Brushy Creek.  So many of the work days are not announced and done by a small group of people.  I'm not in that group.  I'd love to help with designing new trail, troubleshooting existing trail, drainage issues, flow issues, etc.  The workdays I hear about are calls for people to help build berms; my skills are not necessarily needed for that, though many of us on a Tuesday evening earlier this month worked on berms on the Windy Trail at WC.  

I showed up once for a workday at BC several years ago when Randy Bell was coming out to look at some issues.  Before he came, I mentioned that some of the tree branches were not cut at the shoulder and are a risk for riders so I started trimming them back.  I was told it wasn't a priority. Then Randy showed up and mentioned the same thing.  I felt like my help was not wanted due to this and other things that day.  

Why did you change your handle? Unless I'm confused I know who you are. Your help that day was not shot down. I believe we just had a specific task to accomplish and that wasnt a priority at the time. You are (were) right no one ever knocked that to my knowledge...sorry you got the feeling of being discredited. If it was me it was not intended. Honestly knowing what I know now there are lots of things I would change overall. But back in the day I was just a guy looking to be apart of something cool and didnt have the knowledge I do now. I would be open to changing things on existing trail as well as there are areas I feel could be way better. But the trail is what it is right now. People like it as is and unfortunately anytime any improved flow work is done people get all up in arms about sanitation. But whatever.

As far as new trail goes...man I wish we could convince the county to change their stance. There is some additions that could really improve the trail system. Last time I tried I layed out how these changes would reduce mountain bikers on the bcrt which would reduce one of the biggest complaints they say they recieve.

If you got a fresh angle let's collab and try and get it done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 2/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, HoneyBadger said:

He does. 

Not trying to be a jerk but everyone has to prioritize how they spend their time. I never can get to all the trial work I want to do. But since I am down to almost ZERO riding time, I don't think I ever will.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Why did you change your handle? Unless I'm confused I know who you are. Your help that day was not shot down. I believe we just had a specific task to accomplish and that wasnt a priority at the time. You are (were) right no one ever knocked that to my knowledge...sorry you got the feeling of being discredited. If it was me it was not intended. Honestly knowing what I know now there are lots of things I would change overall. But back in the day I was just a guy looking to be apart of something cool and didnt have the knowledge I do now. I would be open to changing things on existing trail as well as there are areas I feel could be way better. But the trail is what it is right now. People like it as is and unfortunately anytime any improved flow work is done people get all up in arms about sanitation. But whatever.

As far as new trail goes...man I wish we could convince the county to change their stance. There is some additions that could really improve the trail system. Last time I tried I layed out how these changes would reduce mountain bikers on the bcrt which would reduce one of the biggest complaints they say they recieve.

If you got a fresh angle let's collab and try and get it done.

I've been using the old name since I fist got on MoJo in 2001 and wanted something new for the new forum.  I'm not trying to hide who I am; I just wanted something different and am not very original when it comes to things like this.

I don't remember who was leading the work day I mentioned, and it does not matter to me anymore.  I'm still happy to help if my help is wanted.  I'd love to meet to see what you're proposing and to see if I can help at all.  BC is my favorite local trail, (Yeah, I said it) and I want to give back.  

D

• Like 3

I've been using the old name since I fist got on MoJo in 2001 and wanted something new for the new forum.  I'm not trying to hide who I am; I just wanted something different and am not very original when it comes to things like this.

I don't remember who was leading the work day I mentioned, and it does not matter to me anymore.  I'm still happy to help if my help is wanted.  I'd love to meet to see what you're proposing and to see if I can help at all.  BC is my favorite local trail, (Yeah, I said it) and I want to give back.  

D
Ah. I only started using mojo a few years ago. But I'll PM you a few of my ideas. The big hurdle is getting Michael (the guy that showed up that I think you thought was Randy Bell) to get on board.

my hope from this thread: awesome trail builders unite!  I’ve learned so much about trail building and maintenance from many on this thread, I can only dream of what could be built by those with many years of experience through cooperation. 

-Scott

• Like 3