IGNORED

Loctite on rear shock mount?

AustinBike

I have a 2019 Orbea Occam and the rear shock fits into a mounting directly. I am assuming that this is aluminum because you would not screw a shock into carbon, right?

This comes loose after a few rides and the whole back of the bike gets "loud". I re-torque it down to the 6nm spec and it is great for 2-3 rides. Then it starts getting loose again.

I did a little research and it looks like people are mixed with some saying that you should not use loctite on anything that you are going to want to remove.

What is the collective wisdom here?

IMG_4071.thumb.jpeg.2debdebe585e2c86273b46c367161f46.jpeg

IMG_4072.thumb.jpeg.af4fed07331a86028c272912bde8ad2f.jpeg

There are lots of variety's of Loctite from low strength to high strength. I would NOT recommend High Strength Loctite for your use case. Loctite is like Kleenex and within in the brand it goes like the following:

• Low Strength PURPLE 222
  • Removable BLUE 242
  • High Strength RED 271

Other brands of thread locker may have different colors. 

Use Cases:

• I use Purple at work, typically in very light duty steel to plastic joints that are regularly serviced.
  • I use Blue in several locations on my car/motorcycle/bike including rear suspension bolts (when I had a FS). These were all Stainless Steel bolts into Stainless Steel Nuts or Aluminum Castings. I don't have experience using it on composites unless it was into a metal threaded sleeve.
  • I use red on things I don't ever plan on taking apart. The label on Red says "Must be heated to 500°F to separate parts"
  • Like 6