IGNORED

Spare Wheel Availability 29r Boost

RedRider3141

So I've been half-heartedly looking at FB marketplace for a spare wheelset but because I'm about a decade behind in understanding the standards I'm not sure how common the set I'm looking for is, especially in my price range. 

What I (think) am looking for:

• 29'r, Boost, Shimano 10/11 Driver 2.4" width capable. 

What I see:

• 29'r non-Boost
  • 29'r Full Carbon (too pricey for me)
  • SRAM XD Driver

Does what I want commonly exist or is it more niche?

Check out the XD wheelsets in depth before you mark them off the list.

I had someone give me an XD wheelset and I needed a Shimano 10-speed for that particular bike. I had to spend ~$80 for a new HG driver, but the wheel set was free so it made sense. Most decent wheelsets have replaceable drivers so you can swap out the XD with an HG.

But make sure that you can make the switch first AND that the appropriate freehub body is in stock and available to ship right away. The supply chain situation these days can be an issue, so don't pull the trigger on wheel unless you are 100% sure that you can make the change.  

It may vary by wheel set. As I recall, the DT Swiss 240's were replaceable and some of the other models (like the 1900 I have) are not. It becomes very wheel specific.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Most decent wheelsets have replaceable drivers so you can swap out the XD with an HG. 

8 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

Most wheelsets will defaults to XD driver. You can either replace the hub body to Shimano, which is typically available and easy to do... 

Thanks! I did not realize that!

On this particular bike I've got a Microshift Advent 10spd that runs on a Shimano HG driver.  I don't know if a 10spd cassette exists for an XD driver. So I'd have to swap it. But if the supply chain has it available then I don't mind that.