IGNORED

Fork in the road - need a new fork

In december I picked up a new to me bike with a Lefty on it. One of the Hybrid 1.0 with PBR, 90mm. It was installed on the bike about 3-4 years ago and had been serviced by one of the top Lefty guys out there, Mendon Cycleworks. But it then spent 2 years sitting around before the guy I bought it from sold the bike to me. I've now got about 60 miles on it and it seems to be performing less well than it did two months ago. 

I spoke with Mendon and his feedback is any Lefty post 2014 is less serviceable and more likely to be a higher cost repair due to only Cannondale being able to do work. I can do oil changes and seals, but parts are not available except used/grey market.

So, I'm at a decision point - chase the lefty or replace it. I'm game to do an oil change and seals, as those are in the sub $50 range.  But longer term I'm going to need a better solution, do I just stick with lefty forks and picking up used ones I can repair or the old style that is serviceable or do I cut bait and sell this thing and go with two legs. 

If I dump the lefty, thoughts on a good alternative? It's a straight tube frame, so there are some limits. It's also setup for 90-100mm fork (3" rear sus) and I would prefer to keep it light and xc. It seems like some of the fox 32's can be bought new with a straight steer, or a used one, or there seem to be some other new options real cheap with straight steer tubes (RS Recon, RS 30, etc).  

I always wondered why Matthew Lee opted for a Lefty for Tour Divide.  It cost him some time the year of the documentary waiting for Lefty parts.

For what it's worth, I have a Fox straight steerer 32 RLC on my SS and I love it.  It's so simple and works so well.  If they had one without a knob I'd get that.

9 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

I know a guy that has run 3" tires on a lefty.  Required him to dish the rim over to compensate for the tire size.

Buddy of mine converted an older lefty to be used on his salsa fatbike with 4.5" tires. Had a strange dish/spoke configuration. 

He gave up on that POS fork and went back to rigid. 

Edited by ATXZJ

I measured clearance to a 29X2.3 Specialized Ground Control very new tire.  I hope that's OK.  I can also measure the narrow point actual width without a wheel in place, but I'm not sure if you're going 29" or 27.5.

All the way around (left, right, and top) the narrowest point was 14.6mm.  I measured with an inside-diameter tool so it's pretty accurate.  Note that the narrow spot was not at the widest part of the tire, but rather at the seals portion of the fork.  This includes the front brake hose clamp.

I have a buddy who bought a Cannondale Habit in... 2016?  The lefty fork was always messed up right from the beginning and parts were always unavailable.  He missed a bunch of rides.  Then the rear triangle broke after barely a few hundred miles.  Great experience.

• Haha 1