IGNORED

How do we feel about One Wheels?

csmceuen

Keep on seeing groups of guys out on the trails at walnut in groups of 10 or so riding those one wheeled skateboard contraptions. Just curious about your guys thoughts on them? They are very respectful and seem like cool dudes. Talked to them and they are very conscious about not riding wet trails which is more than I can say for a lot of other trail users... Also I feel like they do a pretty great job at packing in the trails as well which is a nice add.

I have just seen more and more of them out there and was curious if you guys have had any negative experience with them or if the pose a threat to trail use in any way.

Discuss.

I've already posted about this elsewhere.  I think these guys are good as far as I'm concerned.  My experience when meeting them is positive (goes to show we all should strive to make a good first impression!) Their big fat tires are easier on the trail than some of our tires. Unlike people on scooters, these guys are actually working out.  It looks to me like surfing on trails which I think is awesome.

• Like 2

The question I always ask is, "do they harm the trail experience for other users." Say, a 4 wheeled ATV on singletrack, for example. But even in large groups these folks seem fine and they don't interrupt my experience any more than a hiker. 

The only caveat is if they start moving roots and rocks out of their way to more accommodate their equipment or skill level. That's when it woudl be a problem. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I've already posted about this elsewhere.  I think these guys are good as far as I'm concerned.  My experience when meeting them is positive (goes to show we all should strive to make a good first impression!) Their big fat tires are easier on the trail than some of our tires. Unlike people on scooters, these guys are actually working out.  It looks to me like surfing on trails which I think is awesome.

Yeah I remember seeing them discussed briefly, but I have just been seeing more and more of them and I was just curious since it looks like is a quickly growing user group.

I'm torn. I'm pretty discriminating against all "E-things" on our trails. I don't like the idea of opening up the door to any sort of motorized vehicles as I think it sets up a slippery slope.

In reality though, when I took my son hiking at Walnut yesterday we encountered a number of them and they all seemed nice and responsible. Essentially they were exactly as described by everyone else in this thread. So, aside from my innate distain of electric motors on the trails...I couldn't really find any reason to hate them. I had way more issue with the dogs honestly.

• Like 1

I really don't care about KOMs.  I am also not convinced that e-bikes (and particularly the folks buying those e-bikes) will do any more damage than those of us that can do 1.5kW in short bursts, or drag the rear tire around turns, etc.  I do share the concern about the slippery slope though.  I'm OK with these one-wheel and e-bikes b/c torque is limited, but I'd be concerned that electric motorcycles would slip by.

• Like 1

I'm concerned that y'all are grouping all these one-wheelers into one personality type. These are being ridden by individuals. It only takes one asshole dumbing down the trail for everyone and running old ladies into cacti. As this is a brand new form of trail users, they aren't going to have the "town elders" that we have to teach trail etiquette to the younger riders. I think it is a good idea for MTBers to maintain a healthy relationship. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, notyal said:

I'm concerned that y'all are grouping all these one-wheelers into one personality type. These are being ridden by individuals. It only takes one asshole dumbing down the trail for everyone and running old ladies into cacti. As this is a brand new form of trail users, they aren't going to have the "town elders" that we have to teach trail etiquette to the younger riders. I think it is a good idea for MTBers to maintain a healthy relationship. 

As of right now most of the one wheelers are part of a group that does meet up and organized events. I talked to one of the leaders of the local group and he does his best before each ride to reiterate that they should be respectful and conscious whilst out on the trails. Not saying all of the users are part of the group, but a good amount are.

• Like 1

I ran into the one wheelers at walnut on Sunday, they were very cool and I helped them find an injured rider.  It was a pain when their pack started and you had to wait a while but otherwise they were cool.  Were only riding the mellower stuff like inner log loops and .6.  Ran into motorized unicycles as well, guy was going pretty slow on outer log loops, but otherwise they were cool as well.  I also don't know what to think, but has me concerned that all kinds of motorized contraptions are going to be on the trails.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

...but I'd be concerned that electric motorcycles would slip by.

This and God help us if we start seeing the scooters out there...with their helmet-less, selfie stick wielding, wayfarer shaded, scarf-with-short sleeved shirt wearing, cut-off skinny jeaned, Toms footed pilots. 

*Sorry if you like Wayfarers, skinny jeans, or Toms.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Because they are electric powered, they fall into the "not allowed on the trails" in my book. While everyone says these guys are cool, I encountered one and when I said "I don't think you are supposed to have electric vehicles on the trail" he let loose with a hell of a lot of expletives about bikers, and YES HE COULD ride anywhere he damn well pleased.

So, instead of asking all of us what we think, we should probably be asking the city what the ruling is on these (yeah, slippery slope...)

I am fine with them as long as they are following the rules, but my experience has been that encountering one on the trail is WAY different than coming up on another bike - harder to get around, harder for them to maneuver and highly likely to end up spilling the rider when trying to pass.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I heard a one-wheeler got hurt at WC yesterday and had to be taken out by EMS on a stretcher. The witness was a runner who just uses the concrete path so I had a hard time getting an exact location but she claims he was off in the singletrack under/near a bridge.

A one wheel rider named Freddie came out and helped the ARR work crew this past Sunday.  He grabbed a shovel and spent some time helping us maintain the trail.  In fact, he was able to ride that one wheel across the face of the berm and pack it in really nice!  He said the goal of his group of riders was to have a one wheel rider on every trail crew.

That being said, I talked to him about the concerns that the mountain bike community have about ANY trail user group modifying the trail surface to suit their unique approach to enjoying the trail at the expense of the other trail users.  It's the same reason we don't create big trail features without B lines that are great fun to ride but the hikers can't negotiate.  He got it.  They are looking for smoother trails without rocks the are fun to ride.  Point 6 is their idea of heaven while something like Deception would be a nightmare.  I have no problems with these guys enjoying nature and the trails that we all love so much.  The more advocates that we have using these trails in a responsible way gives us all more power to keep them protected and accessible.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1