IGNORED

How do we feel about One Wheels?

csmceuen

5 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Tried these along the Fort Worth turnpike in the late 70’s. 

I hope that guy in the video had a cup on - some of those high weeds looked painful!  Those looks fun, but no brakes?  YIKES! I'd still give 'em a go though, but with a little more protective gear than the guy in the video :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, 4fun said:

I would never own an E-bike but have no problem sharing the trail with them! These things look less ominous than an e-bike and likely are only be found on really smooth trails which are few and far between around here! I have yet to encounter one on the trail but don’t think they will be anymore of an issue than someone trying for a KOM on a mountain bike!  The first time I heard of one I checked them out and would probably own one if I thought I could afford another expensive hobby! Reminds me how do I convince my whife to let me spend  5K on my next bike? 

You are right - not many OWs are on the rough trails - I guesstimate only about 20% of OW owners ever even go on trails, and I'd guess about 90% of those will stick to a trail like this one, or .6 loop.  It seems like the people who have mountain bikes like the trails, and those who never been on the trails don't really want to start on a OW.

Here's an idea on how to convince your wife to spend 5k - keep you current bike, buy 2 Onewheel XRs, one for you and the wife, and still have $1000 bucks left over for a vacation :)

My only worry about sharing the trails with the Onewheel folks is trail sanitizing. It's just another user group that REALLY wants to dumb down the trails. I'm sure that Dirt Surfer will be like some of us in preaching to his community to NOT do this. But knowing people, and how we MTBers have to fight this, I know it will only add to the problem.

But besides that I don't have a problem with them. And I always say the more trail advocates the better. Even a person that only rides the gravel paths, if they call themselves a mountain biker, and will show up at a city council meeting with a protest sign about keeping trail access open when needed, I'm their brother.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DirtSurfer said:

I realize some of you may have never seen a onewheel before, much less seen one in action on a trail!

Here is a link to a video my good friend made - I was recording, and he is the rider.  The video is of us doing a run through the inner log loop. I hope you enjoy it, and it puts the stoke in your Friday!

This is different from the one I came across at Brushy Creek. The guy I encountered was riding a contraption where his feet were placed on each side of the wheel with his back facing me (Segway?). He was going at a speed that kept me at a casual pace, but I chose not to try and pass him, until he had to bail trying to go up the small hill on PicnicX leading to Picnic. I was a bit annoyed, but said nothing because frankly it is not my job to interpret or enforce the laws. Selfishly I would prefer that trails be preserved for human-powered propulsion, but I admire what you're doing and how you're working to establish community. I'm sure things will get sorted out over time, and for now at least, your having fun on the trail is in no way impacting my ability to have fun on the trail. Sorry to hear that you're getting yelled at by mountain bikers. Probably the same people that yell at me when I choose to ride my bike through a red light when there are no cars coming. 

one wheel segway.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

This is different from the one I came across at Brushy Creek. The guy I encountered was riding a contraption where his feet were placed on each side of the wheel with his back facing me (Segway?). He was going at a speed that kept me at a casual pace, but I chose not to try and pass him, until he had to bail trying to go up the small hill on PicnicX leading to Picnic. I was a bit annoyed, but said nothing because frankly it is not my job to interpret or enforce the laws. Selfishly I would prefer that trails be preserved for human-powered propulsion, but I admire what you're doing and how you're working to establish community. I'm sure things will get sorted out over time, and for now at least, your having fun on the trail is in no way impacting my ability to have fun on the trail. Sorry to hear that you're getting yelled at by mountain bikers. Probably the same people that yell at me when I choose to ride my bike through a red light when there are no cars coming. 

one wheel segway.jpg

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately the biking community has more than it's share of bad representatives, and I am now understanding how they bother the good bikers as much as us OWs.   I think in most cases it is because they are not part of the community,  they ride alone and are just uninformed on how to behave.  

They call those things above an EUC for Electric UniCycle.  These guys can't look behind very well,  but I'm sure he heard you.  I've never understood why some people won't move out of the way when you catch up to them.  He should have gotten out of your way, just like anyone else.   

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

My only worry about sharing the trails with the Onewheel folks is trail sanitizing. It's just another user group that REALLY wants to dumb down the trails. I'm sure that Dirt Surfer will be like some of us in preaching to his community to NOT do this. But knowing people, and how we MTBers have to fight this, I know it will only add to the problem.

But besides that I don't have a problem with them. And I always say the more trail advocates the better. Even a person that only rides the gravel paths, if they call themselves a mountain biker, and will show up at a city council meeting with a protest sign about keeping trail access open when needed, I'm their brother.

I understand the concern of trail sanitizing and I hadn't considered how much it occurs out there until being a part of this group.   

I cant speak for everyone on a OW, but those who I know who ride trails do it for the fun of the challenge.  Conquering a touch section is like a badge of honor amongst our group,  so I dont see it as an issue, but I realize another way I can be an advocate for our OW group.    I can share what I learn from you all with the OW group.  Making posts about good trail tips in the OW group will help teach the new riders and keep them out of trouble. 

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

Shall I dear to say it?

Sure, why not... Wait for it... Wait for it...

">>>B LINES>>>"... Otherwise know as alternate lines.

The writing is on the wall.

Now this doesn't mean they need to be on every part of the trail that has rough spots... As some sections can be deemed Black Diamond, etc... And understood as being just that. But on your regular sections of trail that are mostly green or blue with one or two rough sections thrown in... Add a B-line.

And recently I was reading a comment by one of the Ridge Riders main managers (I think) and the person was saying that they were building in B-lines at one of the park trails. Can't remember which park it was though.

It's going to become necessary as more and more different types of users use the trails. Might as well show that we're forward thinking and get out in front of it. And I see this happening at parks all over the country, simply because they don't want to turn off and turn away possible users... Or get letters from them complaining.

And yes... I know... Get off and walk it... Yada, yada, yada.

I've been miuntain biking for some 20+ years, and have gotten off and walked it many, many times. But times change, and user perceptions of things change, and it's always better to give a little in order to maintain a good working balance... And get some more.

Edited by RidingAgain

18 hours ago, spicewookie said:

Incongruent post, compared to the way you slammed Mr. 'Pool earlier in the same thread.  Trail building is thankless work that is only compounded by criticism by thankless people who don't bring sweat equity to the table.  You talk a lot.

Ohh piss off.

I didn't slam him... I tickled him... For fun... Even he got it.

I've been building or helping maintain trail since the mid-90s... Certainly not as much as some folk here, but I put in time when I can... And certainly appreciate what others do.

As for my talking a lot... 

Bite me.

21 minutes ago, cxagent said:

If

And there are B-Lines to most of the existing trails. For some trails they are called "SIDEWALKS and ROADS". Think the Greenbelt is too hard? There is now a sidewalk that parallels Zilker to 360. The planned YBC trail will finish paralleling the rest if it ever gets built. Until the YBC is built, Southwest Parkway or 360 parallels the rest of the BCGB trail.

Actually, there are some land owners that are considering it and allowing B-Lines to be built. The LCRA park known as Muleshoe has a few of them. And more B-Lines are planned at Muleshoe. LCRA recognized that the main trail is actually a great beginner friendly trail except for 5 short sections. So they are allowing B-Lines to be built around those 5 sections. But all of this takes time. Time to plan. Time to get approved. Time to schedule. Time to build.

For some reason, creating B-Lines is a lower priority than many other things. Like getting ready for a scheduled race. Or finishing a trail the land owner has requested/approved. Or helping people get their PayDirt by the deadline. Or maintaining existing trails with major erosion or trees down. Or working with a trail building company while they are on site. Or heaven forbid - closing a trail the land owner wants closed.

Even with all the issues - I personally am for B-Lines (bypasses around technical sections). But B-Lines need to be longer and/or slower than the A-Line. A better rider should have an advantage over someone who "takes a short cut". Just don't expect them to happen everywhere. As a matter of fact, I don't expect to see many new B-Lines built. But those are just my opinions.

B-lines are not a bad thing, but they sure as hell should NEVER be required.

16 hours ago, cxagent said:

Removed

I was going to respond to your conclusion that a B-line/alternate line trail section had to be much longer than the regular trail section so as to reward the rider that would use the regular line of the trail...

Honestly... Outside of a competitive context, I don't really see how that's relevant... Riders are just out on the trail to ride... And if you build a B-line section of trail that's longer than the section of trail that it's an alternate route for, then you're just building an alternate section of trail for the system. Whether it makes a loop slower is really up to the rider's intention for the ride they are doing. Shoot, that longer section of easier trail might just become to preferred trail section for most riders.

Additionally... As can be seen in the below photos... There really is no need to do what you suggest... A b-line can be built right alongside the regular line, and then the rider has the choice of what they want to use — meaning how they want to ride — that section of trail.

It really isn't a problem in trail building... And trail builders shouldn't allow it to become one for them.

Also...

A B-line doesn't have to be an easier line... Trail builders can make a B-line a harder line to take.

B doesn't necessarily mean easier... Just different.

7027016_smallMed_1555005534.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.09.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.10.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.11.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.11.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.20.24 AM.png

Edited by RidingAgain

"A cheater line is an alternate line that cuts around difficult sections and corners of a trail, often creating bypasses through undesignated terrain. Some of it is due to riders, some due to hikers and other trail users. These lines are not to be confused with B lines, which are intentionally built and maintained alternate routes. Many parks have implemented B lines because they are sustainable, emplacing signs with a placard (often green or blue) denoting an easier line around a specific section of terrain, and a black diamond for a more technical route."

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail-advocacy/keep-singletrack-single/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

"A cheater line is an alternate line that cuts around difficult sections and corners of a trail, often creating bypasses through undesignated terrain. Some of it is due to riders, some due to hikers and other trail users. These lines are not to be confused with B lines, which are intentionally built and maintained alternate routes. Many parks have implemented B lines because they are sustainable, emplacing signs with a placard (often green or blue) denoting an easier line around a specific section of terrain, and a black diamond for a more technical route."

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail-advocacy/keep-singletrack-single/

I think every b-line should have an additional B line (maybe call it a C line) and then that C line have a D line, and just to make sure that EVERYONE is able to ride the trail and NOBODY EVER has to walk their bike.. and then maybe even put a little miniature concrete path next to the D line just in case the D line is still too challenging for whatever individual didnt want to get off their bike won't ever have to worry about doing so. 

• Like 5

I don't think the OW on trails has any more potential for problems than any other trail users does. Dog walkers, hikers, people on any sort of bicycle imaginable use these trails. If anything, those fat, flat tires will pack down loose stuff. The problem is human behavior- sanitizing trails and hogging trail space, in this case. It does not seem that OW riders are interested in sanitizing trails... for now. As the use of OW and other similar motorized vehicles (including e-bikes) beckons more and more people further into the trails, the inevitability of sanitizing draws closer. Unfortunately, education ("leave that shit alone! Walk it or ride it but don't change it!") is the best defense we have.

RA, thanks for posting that thought about B-lines versus cheater lines. I never thought about it, but there's a difference between intensionally creating a shittily-designed line because one lacks the skill to ride the main line and is too lazy to walk it, and a well thought-out, secondary line to create variety and an option for less skilled riders. A good b-line can mitigate cheater lines, but we should not need them in most cases. Again, human behavior.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't think the OW on trails has any more potential for problems than any other trail users does. Dog walkers, hikers, people on any sort of bicycle imaginable use these trails. If anything, those fat, flat tires will pack down loose stuff. The problem is human behavior- sanitizing trails and hogging trail space, in this case. It does not seem that OW riders are interested in sanitizing trails... for now. As the use of OW and other similar motorized vehicles (including e-bikes) beckons more and more people further into the trails, the inevitability of sanitizing draws closer. Unfortunately, education ("leave that shit alone! Walk it or ride it but don't change it!") is the best defense we have.

RA, thanks for posting that thought about B-lines versus cheater lines. I never thought about it, but there's a difference between intensionally creating a shittily-designed line because one lacks the skill to ride the main line and is too lazy to walk it, and a well thought-out, secondary line to create variety and an option for less skilled riders. A good b-line can mitigate cheater lines, but we should not need them in most cases. Again, human behavior.

You're spot on, mack_turtle... People... And our human behavior... Is most certainly the source of problems re. trails.

But human society is made up of people — and all our human behavior — and we need to understand this, and take it into consideration as we try to figure out how moving forward looks/is accomplished.

Perhaps we often forget that before mountain biking there were other outdoor activities that utilized trails, and those who participated in these activities we know were somewhat against sharing what they thought of as "...their trails..." with mountain bikers. Now it seems mountain bikers kind of mimick them.

But growth in life/understanding/proper community is a long process, and the best we can do at any given time is the best we can do at that given time.

As for the best defense... Sometimes it's attacking the problem in a manner that creates a workable balance for all involved.

Isn't that how mountain bikers and the trail users who were around before mountain bikers kind of worked things out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

I think every b-line should have an additional B line (maybe call it a C line) and then that C line have a D line, and just to make sure that EVERYONE is able to ride the trail and NOBODY EVER has to walk their bike.. and then maybe even put a little miniature concrete path next to the D line just in case the D line is still too challenging for whatever individual didnt want to get off their bike won't ever have to worry about doing so. 

Wasn't part of the requirement for you to be able to build the trail you like on Cat Mountain... Having to building easier to ride singletrack for the land owner?

Which one was the B-line?

And are you going to be putting in C and D lines, or are those two types of lines enough to satisfy all relevant users?

And if I remember correctly... Trails around that area are linked to each other by concrete/asphalt paths.

Edited by RidingAgain

44 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Wasn't part of the requirement for you to be able to build the trail you like on Cat Mountain... Having to building easier to ride singletrack for the land owner?

Which one was the B-line?

And are you going to be putting in C and D lines?

And if I remember correctly... Trails around that area are linked to each other by concrete/asphalt paths.

nope not how it works at all actually. 

apples to oranges here.

the apple being this fine piece of private property with a land owner and patrons who respect the work of the trail builder, and don't seem to mind challenging themselves, or walking what they dont feel comfortable, or just avoiding the gnarly trails they dont prefer altogether.

the orange being your examples of public property and patrons (yourself) who seems to feel entitled to have the trails built around your needs, and skill level. all at the expense of someone else's labor, or just disrespecting other's hard work and changing it as you see fit whenever you please. 

I also ask what he would like, and try to add trails for him to enjoy as well with everyone else. but the terrain there determines the characteristics of the trail before I get to decide.. Walnut Creek type smooth flow trails will never show up there because the terrain says otherwise. I work with the land, not against it.  

a common misconception about cat Mtn is that its nothing but a bunch of crazy whale tails and nitro circus type shit everywhere. which isn't true at all. the overall trail system is definitely advanced and not for beginners, but there's trails there that can be enjoyed by a good variety of people.

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

nope not how it works at all actually. 

apples to oranges here.

the apple being this fine piece of private property with a land owner and patrons who respect the work of the trail builder, and don't seem to mind challenging themselves, or walking what they dont feel comfortable, or just avoiding the gnarly trails they dont prefer altogether.

the orange being your examples of public property and patrons (yourself) who seems to feel entitled to have the trails built around your needs, and skill level. all at the expense of someone else's labor, or just disrespecting other's hard work and changing it as you see fit whenever you please. 

I also ask what he would like, and try to add trails for him to enjoy as well with everyone else. 

a common misconception about cat Mtn is that its nothing but a bunch of crazy whale tails and nitro circus type shit everywhere. which isn't true at all. the overall trail system is definitely advanced and not for beginners, but there's trails there that can be enjoyed by a good variety of people.

Hey, look....he's building community!

• Like 1