IGNORED

How do we feel about One Wheels?

csmceuen

6 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

nope not how it works at all actually. 

apples to oranges here.

the apple being this fine piece of private property with a land owner and patrons who respect the work of the trail builder, and don't seem to mind challenging themselves, or walking what they dont feel comfortable, or just avoiding the gnarly trails they dont prefer altogether.

the orange being your examples of public property and patrons (yourself) who seems to feel entitled to have the trails built around your needs, and skill level. all at the expense of someone else's labor, or just disrespecting other's hard work and changing it as you see fit whenever you please. 

I also ask what he would like, and try to add trails for him to enjoy as well with everyone else. but the terrain there determines the characteristics of the trail before I get to decide.. Walnut Creek type smooth flow trails will never show up there because the terrain says otherwise. I work with the land, not against it.  

a common misconception about cat Mtn is that its nothing but a bunch of crazy whale tails and nitro circus type shit everywhere. which isn't true at all. the overall trail system is definitely advanced and not for beginners, but there's trails there that can be enjoyed by a good variety of people.

LOL...

Oh, Seth... I certainly appreciate your long attempt at dancing around the reality of the situation... But it is what it is.

The owner of the land asked you to build singletrack in exchange for allowing you to build the type of trails you wanted to build.

And that singletrack was for the purpose of riding less gnarly trails.

Two types of trails... For two types of trail riding preferences.

This is from your own speaking on the matter.

End of story.

Regarding my feeling entitled...

When it comes to what I pay taxes for... Absolutely.

And the same goes for you and everyone else on these boards.

And if you deny it your just not being truthful.

That's how it works.

You pay taxes with an expectation of a return on the taxes you pay.

And the fact that there is public land for anyone to build trail on is courtesy of the taxes taxpayers pay.

Get that straight.

Now... That made clear...

Let's deal with this foolish abd erroneous perception that you have...

You say... "the orange being your examples of public property and patrons (yourself) who seems to feel entitled to have the trails built around your needs, and skill level. all at the expense of someone else's labor, or just disrespecting other's hard work and changing it as you see fit whenever you please."

The above is simply a dishonest representation of how I look at the matter... But I fully understand your need to try and suggest that it is.

I don't know how long you've been building trail for, Seth... By I started back in '95/'96... Building trail on State land simply because we had got permission to do so and thought it would be good to do. And the trail that I helped bring into being, 20 years later is a full blown park trail system of over 20 miles I think... Serving the needs of an entire city.

And I never asked, nor thought I needed to ask, for a cent of compensation for my part. Shoot, I never even asked for any recognition regarding it.

Thousands of people enjoy what I helped build.

And I am happy they do.

Now to the second bit of crap that you spoke above...

I have never disrespected any trail building effort. So again we have you being dishonest in your above speaking.

I have certainly though put forward my thoughts regarding the need for change in how trail building can be approached... Which some narrow-minded people (when it comes to mtb trail building), such as yourself it seems, may choose to take as disrespectful... But someone's vanity, and how it causes that person to react to something, is something I can't control.

But again... Putting forward thoughts on the need for possible change is not necessarily being disrespectful in and of itself.

That made clear....

If you're going to attack someone's speaking... At least try an do so in an honest manner.

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

...the overall trail system is definitely advanced and not for beginners, but there's trails there that can be enjoyed by a good variety of people.

BTW...

This is wonderful.

And much appreciated... As I have told you many times before.

And absolutely the type of thinking that trail building on public land should take... And has for the most part, taken.

Edited by RidingAgain

When the dirt is sticking to the shovel too much, do you hold off on shaping or do some other type of work?  I'm building a little pump track in my backyard.  I did digging, rock piling, and dirt transfer yesterday but couldn't do any shaping.  I've tried the slap and slide (I'm sure there's a better term) with the shovel.

3 hours ago, spicewookie said:

Weren't we talking about one wheels?

One wheels... And then the trails they ride on... Then the potential impact they may have on trails... Then...

You know... Like any normal online discussion... Straw man arguments, personal accusations, and all.

13 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

When the dirt is sticking to the shovel too much, do you hold off on shaping or do some other type of work?  I'm building a little pump track in my backyard.  I did digging, rock piling, and dirt transfer yesterday but couldn't do any shaping.  I've tried the slap and slide (I'm sure there's a better term) with the shovel.

A tiny dusting of sand will really help your situation.  I've been in your backyard (creepy, I know) and it's surprisingly clay, from what I recall.  Sprinkle with a few bags of sand and then slap/n/slide away.  Don't forget to happy farmer the faces of your rollers and berms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brentb said:

What does this mean?

Man, I thought everyone knew the happy farmer.  You stand on the face of the slope with your toes pointing downhill and compact the dirt as you dance up/down/side/side.  In lieu of a mechanical compactor, it works pretty well.  Don't rush the happy farmer phase.  Slap 'n' slide after.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

LOL...

Oh, Seth... I certainly appreciate your long attempt at dancing around the reality of the situation... But it is what it is.

The owner of the land asked you to build singletrack in exchange for allowing you to build the type of trails you wanted to build.

And that singletrack was for the purpose of riding less gnarly trails.

Two types of trails... For two types of trail riding preferences.

This is from your own speaking on the matter.

End of story.

Regarding my feeling entitled...

When it comes to what I pay taxes for... Absolutely.

And the same goes for you and everyone else on these boards.

And if you deny it your just not being truthful.

That's how it works.

You pay taxes with an expectation of a return on the taxes you pay.

And the fact that there is public land for anyone to build trail on is courtesy of the taxes taxpayers pay.

Get that straight.

Now... That made clear...

Let's deal with this foolish abd erroneous perception that you have...

You say... "the orange being your examples of public property and patrons (yourself) who seems to feel entitled to have the trails built around your needs, and skill level. all at the expense of someone else's labor, or just disrespecting other's hard work and changing it as you see fit whenever you please."

The above is simply a dishonest representation of how I look at the matter... But I fully understand your need to try and suggest that it is.

I don't know how long you've been building trail for, Seth... By I started back in '95/'96... Building trail on State land simply because we had got permission to do so and thought it would be good to do. And the trail that I helped bring into being, 20 years later is a full blown park trail system of over 20 miles I think... Serving the needs of an entire city.

And I never asked, nor thought I needed to ask, for a cent of compensation for my part. Shoot, I never even asked for any recognition regarding it.

Thousands of people enjoy what I helped build.

And I am happy they do.

Now to the second bit of crap that you spoke above...

I have never disrespected any trail building effort. So again we have you being dishonest in your above speaking.

I have certainly though put forward my thoughts regarding the need for change in how trail building can be approached... Which some narrow-minded people (when it comes to mtb trail building), such as yourself it seems, may choose to take as disrespectful... But someone's vanity, and how it causes that person to react to something, is something I can't control.

But again... Putting forward thoughts on the need for possible change is not necessarily being disrespectful in and of itself.

That made clear....

If you're going to attack someone's speaking... At least try an do so in an honest manner.

Not me! I only pay taxes because the alternative is risk of imprisonment! I have no expectation of what any government entity will do with my tax money or I would drive myself crazy being pissed off! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spicewookie said:

Man, I thought everyone knew the happy farmer.  You stand on the face of the slope with your toes pointing downhill and compact the dirt as you dance up/down/side/side.  In lieu of a mechanical compactor, it works pretty well.  Don't rush the happy farmer phase.  Slap 'n' slide after.  

Or just get a OneWheeler to do it for you. There - thread back on track! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 4fun said:

Not me! I only pay taxes because the alternative is risk of imprisonment! I have no expectation of what any government entity will do with my tax money or I would drive myself crazy being pissed off! 

Well...

Not being imprisoned is your expectation.

But I certainly get what you're saying.

Kind of like not having any expectations of humanity on the whole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Maybe I'll call my girlfriend my B Line and my wife wife the A Line

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But, technically, you need an A line to have a B line. I'm too cheap to have a B line, the A line is enough challenge for me.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:29 PM, RidingAgain said:

One wheels... And then the trails they ride on... Then the potential impact they may have on trails... Then...

You know... Like any normal online discussion... Straw man arguments, personal accusations, my attempts at self-martyrdom and all.