IGNORED

What bike for spider mountain?

crazyt

My czar is 120/100mm and I was thinking about getting something with more travel. My first bike (tallboy LT) was 140/135 and I was pretty awesome for pretty much riding anything. For spider mountain is 140 perfect or would something like 160 be better?

I didnt like the VPP on the  tallboy LT for climbing. For descending it was fine.

Love dw-link on the czar.

Rented a pivot (429?) from cycle progression and didnt love it. Felt like I was riding through molasses.

What bikes actually have decent climbing that would be suitable for spider mountain? I prefer to get a frame only and build it myself.

Turner has the RFX (160mm), but I think it would be hard to get a test ride

Seth is pimping guerilla gravity

Where I dont trust most people is when they say the climbing is good, Im generally skeptical and think they are just used to shitty climbing.

Will this be a N+1 bike or are you planning to use it as your primary do-all bike?

I'm in a little bit of the same boat in that I told myself that if this lift-service thing ever became a reality (surprise surprise!), then I'd actually seek out and own a 'big FS bike'.  I'm in no hurry, but I've been looking a bit.  But my objective is to have as big travel of bike as possible that could be pedaled up if needed.  I've always been a big-wheel fan so the Devinci Spartan (29) and the Ibis Ripmo have both strongly piqued my interest.  The good thing is that Wes down at Velorangutan does free demos.  So when I get closer, I think I could use the demos to guide my decision process.

My co-worker has a Devinci Django and really likes its.  Then this Bible Bike video really got my attention.

• Like 1

When you say climbing, do you mean traction or efficiency? 

I love my Yeti 4.5 because of the degree to which it stays active while peddling.  I didn't like the dw-link on a Pivot Switchblade because it just got too stiff.  Around here, including at Spider, you still gotta pedal if you want to go fast, and it's nice if the suspension still works while you're doing it.

4 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

It's off the wall, but I wonder how this would do. Supposedly very active during climbing, but no bob.

Polygon Bikes Xquarone-ex9

Huh, single link enduro bike from Indonesia. Wonder how long they last...

Interesting design but looks clunky/heavy. But the real make or break on this will be whether they actually get distribution/service right. Indonesia has not really been a hotbed of global expansion. They are awesome at technical and make a nice hub for many companies in the US, but they have not really taken over in any perceivable way. Maybe it's the Dutch in them 😉

Just now, Teamsloan said:

I've just read extremely positive reviews on the suspension design. The one complaint is that it doesn't have as much "pop" off of jumps. It apparently just tracks the ground extremely well.

2 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Huh, single link enduro bike from Indonesia. Wonder how long they last...

Interesting design but looks clunky/heavy. But the real make or break on this will be whether they actually get distribution/service right. Indonesia has not really been a hotbed of global expansion. They are awesome at technical and make a nice hub for many companies in the US, but they have not really taken over in any perceivable way. Maybe it's the Dutch in them 😉

It's not a single pivot. Looks like the same linkage as the Marin Wolf Ridge. https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/family/wolf-ridge

5 minutes ago, notyal said:

It's not a single pivot. Looks like the same linkage as the Marin Wolf Ridge. https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/family/wolf-ridge

Yup, it's the Naild R3act-2Play system. It's a mouthful but it just looks really interesting. If the reviews are to be believed, it could be a great park/enduro bike with the kind of handling crazyT is describing.

...I think the polygon frame is better looking though. The Marin's straight top tube is ugly to me...not that either bikes are particularly good looking.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Yup, it's the Naild R3act-2Play system. It's a mouthful but it just looks really interesting. If the reviews are to be believed, it could be a great park/enduro bike with the kind of handling crazyT is describing.

...I think the polygon frame is better looking though. The Marin's straight top tube is ugly to me...not that either bikes are particularly good looking.

I've read really good things about the Marin too, but damn is that thing ugly. I guess it's kind of like riding a lefty. If you like being randomly asked about your freak bike by strangers at the trailhead, this is the product for you. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, crazyt said:

My czar is 120/100mm and I was thinking about getting something with more travel. My first bike (tallboy LT) was 140/135 and I was pretty awesome for pretty much riding anything. For spider mountain is 140 perfect or would something like 160 be better?

I didnt like the VPP on the  tallboy LT for climbing. For descending it was fine.

Love dw-link on the czar.

Rented a pivot (429?) from cycle progression and didnt love it. Felt like I was riding through molasses.

What bikes actually have decent climbing that would be suitable for spider mountain? I prefer to get a frame only and build it myself.

Turner has the RFX (160mm), but I think it would be hard to get a test ride

Seth is pimping guerilla gravity

Where I dont trust most people is when they say the climbing is good, Im generally skeptical and think they are just used to shitty climbing.

I really think this would be a great reason to get a GG smash or Megatrail with intentions for spider mountain, and having the ability to have any of their bikes that you want with the modular front triangle and interchangeable seat stay kits.

145-170 range would be great for spider mountain, DH bike isnt necessary 

• Like 3

I had asked this same question last week on a separate Spider Mountain thread and got similar responses. Still, I'm moving forward with the purchase of a slacker, longer travel 27.5. At under 26lbs with 130mm front and back and 67.5 HA, my Primer isn't suited for the type of gravity riding I want to start doing at Spider and Cat Mtn. I'm also not at all interested in monkeying around with it because it is perfect for everyday use at most of the trails I ride. If anybody knows where I can get a used 2017 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 Team Bike, I'd likely write a check today (unless somebody here tells me something horrible about that bike). Also interested in the 2019 Jamis Hardline A1 but have no clue where to possibly find one to try. Looking at a couple of others in this category as well.   

5 minutes ago, CopeIt said:

I'll be riding a 29er chameleon. Ride what you got... It's not Whistler

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Perhaps but there is certainly nothing wrong with having a stable of purpose built bikes either. Just comes down to taste for variety, budget, how much room you have in the garage, etc.  

14 minutes ago, CopeIt said:

I'll be riding a 29er chameleon. Ride what you got... It's not Whistler

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Of course, and I'll be riding my Trek Stache out there for a little while too.  But if it DOES get to be Whistler'esque...you can be sure that I will own a big-bike, trying to fit the correct tool for the job.

-CJB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

When you say climbing, do you mean traction or efficiency? 

I love my Yeti 4.5 because of the degree to which it stays active while peddling.  I didn't like the dw-link on a Pivot Switchblade because it just got too stiff.  Around here, including at Spider, you still gotta pedal if you want to go fast, and it's nice if the suspension still works while you're doing it.

efficiency, Ive never had problems with traction, but I hate the bob.

I’ll second Seth’s plug for Guerrilla Gravity. I love my Smash. Mine is 140 rear, 150 front and I’ve cleaned climbs on it that I never made on my 110mm Camber. It was really fun at Spider Mountain and is perfect at Deception where I normally ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anything overbuilt and made from aluminum with 6" of travel and modern GEO. In addition to the previously mentioned GG offerings, id consider:

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/nomad

https://www.knollybikes.com/warden

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Patrol.cfm

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3534532

The nomad will be the worst climber of the four.

Narrowed my selection down to one of these two, climbing be damned.

http://konaworld.com/process_165.cfm

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3044467

Edited by ATXZJ