IGNORED

What bike for spider mountain?

crazyt

15 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Anything overbuilt and made from aluminum with 6" of travel and modern GEO. In addition to the previously mentioned GG offerings, id consider:

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/nomad

https://www.knollybikes.com/warden

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Patrol.cfm

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3534532

The nomad will be the worst climber of the four.

As I continue my research, one bike that is sort of sticking out as a wild card for me is the Transition Scout. While not in the enduro/all-mountain class that other bikes being discussed are in, it appears to be much burlier than it's 130mm travel might otherwise imply. And with the slack HTA and 150mm fork, I'm pretty sure it could handle whatever Spider / Cat could throw at it. The short chainstay provides the added bonus of playfulness, easier to manual, etc, and the price point is spot on. The other bike I've added to my list to check out is the Pivot Mach 5.5.

Part of my criteria, which probably seems silly to most folks, is that the bike has to have straight lines and an open front triangle. I just think aesthetically those characteristics give bikes a sportier, cleaner look. For that reason all of the bikes I'm looking at have trunnion mounted shock or shock directly under the top tube. Definitely narrows the list, but there are still plenty of top contenders to choose from.   

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Heading out there Friday with my 130 and 100 mil travel trail bikes.  I’m looking forward to see how it works out. 

I rode out there on my 110/130 this weekend and it handled everything like a champ. I dont think there is anything out there at the moment that is not easily handled by shortish travel 29er. Would a bigger bike add a bit more confidence? Yeah probably, but I hit every run at least 3 times and the double black 4-5 so I must have liked it. :classic_biggrin: 

1 hour ago, throet said:

As I continue my research, one bike that is sort of sticking out as a wild card for me is the Transition Scout. While not in the enduro/all-mountain class that other bikes being discussed are in, it appears to be much burlier than it's 130mm travel might otherwise imply. And with the slack HTA and 150mm fork, I'm pretty sure it could handle whatever Spider / Cat could throw at it. The short chainstay provides the added bonus of playfulness, easier to manual, etc, and the price point is spot on. The other bike I've added to my list to check out is the Pivot Mach 5.5.

Part of my criteria, which probably seems silly to most folks, is that the bike has to have straight lines and an open front triangle. I just think aesthetically those characteristics give bikes a sportier, cleaner look. For that reason all of the bikes I'm looking at have trunnion mounted shock or shock directly under the top tube. Definitely narrows the list, but there are still plenty of top contenders to choose from.   

Transition is a solid choice. I was really surprised by how well the sentinel climbed.

Were you looking into mondraker a ways back? TPC has a fairly good deal on a foxy right now:

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/mondraker-foxy-carbon-r-large-bike-2018?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkHcCP8IZj1ghgm0SIkhVRjuajx0BIIH4TiFDqLZCRWbFhIth38PqJUaAjWjEALw_wcB

Also, don't rule out a used or leftover balance if you can find one. Very efficient suspension for pedaling considering the amount of travel they offer. Hopefully they get their act together and start building some bikes again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2458416/

Edited by ATXZJ

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Transition is a solid choice. I was really surprised by how well the sentinel climbed.

Were you looking into mondraker a ways back? TPC has a fairly good deal on a foxy right now:

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/mondraker-foxy-carbon-r-large-bike-2018?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkHcCP8IZj1ghgm0SIkhVRjuajx0BIIH4TiFDqLZCRWbFhIth38PqJUaAjWjEALw_wcB

Also, don't rule out a used or leftover balance if you can find one. Very efficient suspension for pedaling considering the amount of travel they offer. Hopefully they get their act together and start building some bikes again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2458416/

Good input. Got antsy and just pulled the trigger on this. Closeout deal at BSS made it even better. 

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Trek/Remedy-9-8-27-5,19227

• Like 4

That Revel looks sweet.  Not sure about the ENVE carbon layup but I dig the geometry.

I have a 160 SC Nomad Gen 3 and it absolutely destroyed Winter Park including the gnar so I suspect it will work fine at Spider Mountain.  I think the platform pedals great, climbs fine, and makes drops and jumps smooth and confidence inspiring.  That being said, nothing beats travel when it comes to soaking up a trail full of braking bumps.  I've been pushing all that travel around Austin area trails for a long time and it's good to have a closer venue to really take advantage of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Prices are competitive. In fact, frame+fork for $3200 beats the shit out of most carbon options these days. 

That's what I was thinking too. I also like the ~13.27" bbh on a 165/170mm bike. Every other geo number is fairly middling by today's standards-- I'd like to see a shorter chainstay. 

Edited by Barry
to fix stuff

4 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Dang, you jumped the gun! Just now hitting the market...

Revel Bikes

Suspension design from Canfield Bros., carbon layup from Enve, straight top tube, great looking bike. Almost looks like the suspension from an Ibis Ripmo.

Nah I don't have any regrets. I would have still opted for the Remedy over the Rail. This is the bike I really wanted, but nobody was willing to deal on them. 

2019 Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5 Bike 

Foxy.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, CBaron said:

Will this be a N+1 bike or are you planning to use it as your primary do-all bike?

I'm in a little bit of the same boat in that I told myself that if this lift-service thing ever became a reality (surprise surprise!), then I'd actually seek out and own a 'big FS bike'.  I'm in no hurry, but I've been looking a bit.  But my objective is to have as big travel of bike as possible that could be pedaled up if needed.  I've always been a big-wheel fan so the Devinci Spartan (29) and the Ibis Ripmo have both strongly piqued my interest.  The good thing is that Wes down at Velorangutan does free demos.  So when I get closer, I think I could use the demos to guide my decision process.

My co-worker has a Devinci Django and really likes its.  Then this Bible Bike video really got my attention.

Looked at these when I was searching last year. Ended up with YT Jeffsy 29 CF. Couldn't beat price/performance ratio compared to others. Wanted something to replace Yeti 575, something that could climb ok, but with enough squish going down. Current era suspension is SO much nicer than what I replaced.

yeti sb5.5 (best at rough climbing vs most other bikes)
devinci django
yt jeffsy
transition smuggler gx carbon
marin wolf ridge
norco sight c2 29

Edited by jcarneytx

3 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

Prices are competitive. In fact, frame+fork for $3200 beats the shit out of most carbon options these days. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

That's what I was thinking too. I also like the ~13.27" bbh on a 165/170mm bike. Every other geo number is fairly middling by today's standards-- I'd like to see a shorter chainstay. 

Prices are very competitive for frames and the geo looks close enough to get the job done. The new PB review of the 27.5 is pretty positive, particularly when it came to the suspension. Canfield knows suspension and it shows on this and their own bikes. Hoping someday they'll start building aluminum frames again and would love to see them reintroduce the idler setup they used on the jedi. 

50 minutes ago, throet said:

Nah I don't have any regrets. I would have still opted for the Remedy over the Rail. This is the bike I really wanted, but nobody was willing to deal on them. 

2019 Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5 Bike 

Foxy.jpg

did you see this😈

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

I did actually see that when you first shared it, and I was awfully tempted. I've ridden that same carbon frame and loved it. Not a great build but at that price I could have just started replacing parts. Have you bought through them before? Interesting concept, and with 30-day return policy, seems like pretty much no risk.

Still, I got a good deal on a brand-new bike that I like; so no regrets. Just need to replace the showroom pedals and remove reflectors and I'll be ready to ride. Well at least when it stops raining and gets back up to 50 degrees!  

IMAG2596.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, throet said:

I did actually see that when you first shared it, and I was awfully tempted. I've ridden that same carbon frame and loved it. Not a great build but at that price I could have just started replacing parts. Have you bought through them before? Interesting concept, and with 30-day return policy, seems like pretty much no risk.

Still, I got a good deal on a brand-new bike that I like; so no regrets. Just need to replace the showroom pedals and remove reflectors and I'll be ready to ride. Well at least when it stops raining and gets back up to 50 degrees!  

Build is a bit hit n miss but TPC is good to deal with and will negotiate a little offline if you try. Trek looks good man and the reviews on that bike are pretty good and will be fun on SM. 

16 hours ago, throet said:

IMAG2596.jpg

OK so I couldn't wait for 50 degrees knowing that we might get heavier rain over the weekend - so I anxiously ventured out in the damp cold this morning and rode for an hour at Brushy - Snail (twice), Rim, Up-and-Over, Double-Down, and Picnic. Didn't even bother replacing the showroom pedals since I was in a bit of hurry. For my first run, the Lyrik RCT3 was set at 85psi with rebound 6 clicks out and the Deluxe RT3 thru-shaft shock at 200psi with rebound at 4 clicks out. Didn't even check to see what the LSC setting was on the fork.

All I can say is WOW!!!! What an amazing performing bike and well-engineered suspension system. Rocky descents that would have me controlling my speed on the Primer were just soaked up like I was rolling down smooth terrain - and it's a good thing since those Guide RS brakes don't work near as well as my XTRs on the Primer. Getting height on bunny hops is more effortless on my Primer, but once I realized that I needed to put more effort into bunny-hopping the Remedy, I instantly realized how much better my form got. The bike just seemed to tuck into my body the way it's supposed to when transitioning from manual to full extension forward. Similarly with manuals it was harder to get the front wheel up, but easier to find the balance point. I still suck at holding them for more than 15 feet, but I think this bike is going to make it easier for me to practice them. Also seemed much easier to maintain proper body position on drops and jumps. This being my first 27.5, I'm amazed at how well it handles tight corners, slow or at speed. Overall my body remained in perfect position when out of the saddle at all times, which I never really felt when riding the long, slack Mondraker Foxy 27.5 Both climbing and acceleration were surprisingly good on this bike too - much better than expected although not quite on par with the Primer and its carbon rims.

Components are great on this bike, although I will likely eventually upgrade the GX Eagle derailleur and Guide RS brakes (been spoiled with XX1 and XTR on the Primer), but probably not until they wear out. The Bonty 780 carbon bars felt right on this bike even though I've always ridden 740 on my other bikes. Will just keep those the way they are. Bonty 29mm internal wheels and 2.4 tires are fine too, although I might want to try some 2.5 or 2.6 tires eventually. Loved the way the Bonty dropper worked and the lever is super cool. However, it did stick some, where I'd have to drop it all the way down to get it to pop back up. It was 42 degrees though; so I'll see what happens when it warms up. Anyway it goes, I know BSS will make it right.          

• Like 3

Components are great on this bike, although I will likely eventually upgrade the GX Eagle derailleur and Guide RS brakes (been spoiled with XX1 and XTR on the Primer), but probably not until they wear out

Hey Man

Happy for you! Nice that you like it so much
My two cents which you didn’t ask for
Move your XTRs over today
You will not regret dumping the Guides
Once it gets hot out again you will see why they suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk