IGNORED

What bike for spider mountain?

crazyt

5 hours ago, CBaron said:

I agree, this is why I come here so that I can get such great info from people like @LikesBikes who have such great knowledge of our sport.  @LikesBikes what are you currently riding right now?  Have you been out to Spider Mountain bike park?

Thanks -CJB

thanks cody, didnt have time to research the specs, but based on your rec I got the merida.

• Like 4

I have heard some people complaining on the fakebook about scratches on their rides from the chairlift at Spider.  Anyone here experience this?
I did notice the metal bars and how they looked like they could ding up your bike pretty easy, so I became a pedal down guy when putting the bike on, that seems to keep the frame from getting scratched up.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been breaking in my new Cat / Spider Mtn bike at Brushy just to get things in order before getting too extreme. After a couple of weeks riding my normal trails I've got 2 big dings in the alloy rear rim. I've been riding the same way on the same trail with carbon rims on my 29er for 2.5 years, and have never managed to damage those carbon rims. So my takeaway is that carbon rims (at least the good ones) are far superior in terms of durability to the alloy counterparts. Sad thing is that had I gotten a bike with carbon rims, Trek would have replaced them within 2 years of purchase for such failure, but they don't do anything for damage sustained on alloy rims.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, throet said:

So I've been breaking in my new Cat / Spider Mtn bike at Brushy just to get things in order before getting too extreme. After a couple of weeks riding my normal trails I've got 2 big dings in the alloy rear rim. I've been riding the same way on the same trail with carbon rims on my 29er for 2.5 years, and have never managed to damage those carbon rims. So my takeaway is that carbon rims (at least the good ones) are far superior in terms of durability to the alloy counterparts. Sad thing is that had I gotten a bike with carbon rims, Trek would have replaced them within 2 years of purchase for such failure, but they don't do anything for damage sustained on alloy rims.  

That sucks man. I had some bontrager dusters that were pretty squishy. On the other side of carbon spectrum are the super stiff wheels like i have that ride like crap no matter what you do.

Grab a set of these hoops and call it done

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/mtb/enduro/ex-511/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

That sucks man. I had some bontrager dusters that were pretty squishy. On the other side of carbon spectrum are the super stiff wheels like i have that ride like crap no matter what you do.

Grab a set of these hoops and call it done

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/mtb/enduro/ex-511/

get we are one composites carbon hoops. unlimited lifetime free replacements no questions asked. if you want go/stay carbon

I also am very interested in the new Stans flow EK3 rims. looks promising!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/stans-notubes-announces-new-flow-ex3-rims-and-wheelsets.html

Edited by Seths Pool

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, Seths Pool said:

get we are one composites carbon hoops. unlimited lifetime free replacements no questions asked. if you want go/stay carbon

Lifetime warranty from a company that is only 2 years old is not really something to bet the bank on. But if you must have carbon, perhaps worth if to go with we are one, as long as they are around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

18 year difference... 4 seconds faster...

now go try and ride that vintage DH bike up down and all around like you would on that enduro bike. technological advancements are much farther ahead than 4 seconds makes it sound like. 

9 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

now go try and ride that vintage DH bike up down and all around like you would on that enduro bike. technological advancements are much farther ahead than 4 seconds makes it sound like. 

I remember the first time I drove a '73 Porsche 911 Turbo, the first one with the whale tail... Couldn't keep the rear end from pulling like it  wanted to pass the front end... So much power. Very hard to handle. But there was a rawness attraction to it that still causes people to buy them for good money.

It's not today's 911 Turbo, I understand that. And the '00 GT isn't today's refined downhill machine.... I understand that too.

I just thought the comparison was interesting.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Finally getting around to building a bike for spider mountain and other gravity parks.  Commencal Supreme SX

IMG_20190521_083737676.jpg

Can you have it ready by Mon? I'm eager to get out there but don't want to go by myself. 

15 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

To anyone "building a bike for spider mountain" because it's a bike park, I hope you've ridden there on whatever you have now so that you know your target first hand. Honestly, an average all mountain or aggressive trail bike will be great.

Are we going to rehash what's already been said on the first 3 pages of this thread? In summary, some people believe in having a single-do-it-all bike and others prefer to have bikes for specific purposes. No wrong answer here - just personal preference. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throet said:

Are we going to rehash what's already been said on the first 3 pages of this thread? In summary, some people believe in having a single-do-it-all bike and others prefer to have bikes for specific purposes. No wrong answer here - just personal preference. 

Focus more on the 1st sentence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anita Handle said:

Focus more on the 1st sentence.

Yep I get it - try before you buy (build). Others offered that same opinion early on in the thread and perhaps good advice that is worth repeating for some folks. Heck I went out and bought a bike specifically for gravity-oriented stuff back in Feb and have yet to ride it anywhere besides Brushy. Still excited to get it out on some steep downs though, which is not something I'd care to do on my short-travel 29er.       

11 minutes ago, rockshins said:

Looks awesome already! Getting my Mega out there this weekend, will see how it fares.

1 hour ago, throet said:

Can you have it ready by Mon? I'm eager to get out there but don't want to go by myself. 

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

To anyone "building a bike for spider mountain" because it's a bike park, I hope you've ridden there on whatever you have now so that you know your target first hand. Honestly, an average all mountain or aggressive trail bike will be great.

41 minutes ago, throet said:

Thanks!

Totally agree about spider mountain not needing a specific gravity build. I had a fleet of bikes that I started selling off last year due to all the overlap. I'm currently down to a flexy stay 100mm XC bike that beats the shit outta me in the big stuff. Hopefully I'll get this commencal to more than a few parks this year to pay it forward. I'm getting tired of pedaling so not much choice.

Its total overkill for SM but I wanted a high pivot that was 27.5 and aluminum. This was the only one that fit that criteria and was also the last black size L SX with a shock in all global inventory. Had to pay over $100 for duties on the bastard. However, with 180mm travel and a 63* HTA it'll make up for the trouble that it took to get it.

Bike is probably 3-4 weeks from completion as I'm waiting on parts. 

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, throet said:

Yep I get it - try before you buy (build). Others offered that same opinion early on in the thread and perhaps good advice that is worth repeating for some folks. Heck I went out and bought a bike specifically for gravity-oriented stuff back in Feb and have yet to ride it anywhere besides Brushy. Still excited to get it out on some steep downs though, which is not something I'd care to do on my short-travel 29er.       

oookay, so I rehashed two separate points. busted.