IGNORED

What bike for spider mountain?

crazyt

Finally made it to Spider, Nukeproof Mega was good out there.  Too much bike on the mellower stuff but really helped in the chunky sections.  It is a long bike so the rear tire rubbed on the deck when getting it onto the lift, but no biggy. Had a total blast, there is a lot of potential there.  Ordering a full face ASAP!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rockshins said:

Ordering a full face ASAP!

While we were there on Friday we witnessed a guy go off trail on the newest jump line at the top.  He ended up with a nasty gash near his eye and what looked to be a broken nose, but it could have been much, much worse if he wasn't wearing a full-face helmet.  After helping the guy get down the mountain we were talking with one of the on-site EMTs and he said something to the effect of, "I can't believe how many people ride out here without full-face helmets."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rockshins said:

Finally made it to Spider, Nukeproof Mega was good out there.  Too much bike on the mellower stuff but really helped in the chunky sections.  It is a long bike so the rear tire rubbed on the deck when getting it onto the lift, but no biggy. Had a total blast, there is a lot of potential there.  Ordering a full face ASAP!

When I was out there we saw a guy at the bottom who had taken a spill with only a half shell. His face looked like ground hamburger. A full face should be standard equipment out there. They rent them out there too. It's way cheaper facial reconstruction surgery. 

• Like 1

I'm certainly not going to recommend everyone go out there with their XC helmet. But we all ride similar terrain with the same amount of rocks, trees, and scary ledges as what I rode on Spider Mountain every weekend with normal equipment. This is why there are signs everywhere that say "Ride Within Your Limit". I only did Sticky Icky once and that was as gnarly as I chose to get. Even most of the stuff on there can be found on many of the unmentionables here in town, I just didn't have to climb my bike to get to them.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

While we were there on Friday we witnessed a guy go off trail on the newest jump line at the top.  He ended up with a nasty gash near his eye and what looked to be a broken nose, but it could have been much, much worse if he wasn't wearing a full-face helmet.  After helping the guy get down the mountain we were talking with one of the on-site EMTs and he said something to the effect of, "I can't believe how many people ride out here without full-face helmets."

I saw a few crashes myself and the EMT's wrapping people up. I felt exposed without proper protection, I was one of the dumb ones for sure.

2 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I'm certainly not going to recommend everyone go out there with their XC helmet. But we all ride similar terrain with the same amount of rocks, trees, and scary ledges as what I rode on Spider Mountain every weekend with normal equipment. This is why there are signs everywhere that say "Ride Within Your Limit". I only did Sticky Icky once and that was as gnarly as I chose to get. Even most of the stuff on there can be found on many of the unmentionables here in town, I just didn't have to climb my bike to get to them.

I did the same, took it pretty easy, only moved up to Sticky Icky and kept mostly to Vipers Den.  It honestly put in perspective how nasty our trails can get and how easy it is to eat sh*t.  I used to think full faces were lame, I do not anymore. Saw so many skinned up elbows, looking into elbow pads as well.

Some guy overshot one of the jumps out there on Monday and had to get choppered out. Saw another lady who had endo'ed off a drop with normal all mountain gear and was banged up a bit but she would be fine because she was riding within her limit. Her wreck wasn't any worse than if she'd been on the greenbelt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

As a side bar comment...I've always found it curious (for myself) that I ride the same trail (CP/Emma Long) on both a MTB and a MX bike.  When I'm there on the MX, I'm geared up like a football player with knee-shin, elbow, chest protection, boots, long sleeves and FF helmet.  But when I go out there to ride my MTB, I'm out there only riding in spandex, and XC helmet and my silky smooth shaved legs.

-CJB

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I'd be less worried about Sticky Icky and more worried about the machine built trails. When shit is rocky and gnarly, I'm going pretty slow, and as you say, it's not unlike CP or BCGB. Those fast, bermy, jumpy machine trails are the ones where your face is in the dirt before you know it. As the summer goes on and the trails get blown out, it's gonna much harder to rail those turns. That dirt is not like the dirt in town or at nearby RPR. It is slippery when it gets loose. If the front tire washes out at speed, $100 for a full face is going to seem pretty smart.

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Xact-Helmet

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Xult-Full-Face-Helmet

24 minutes ago, CBaron said:

As a side bar comment...I've always found it curious (for myself) that I ride the same trail (CP/Emma Long) on both a MTB and a MX bike.  When I'm there on the MX, I'm geared up like a football player with knee-shin, elbow, chest protection, boots, long sleeves and FF helmet.  But when I go out there to ride my MTB, I'm out there only riding in spandex, and XC helmet and my silky smooth shaved legs.

-CJB

Other than the "spandex" part, I am (used to be) the same way. My wife would ask me, if I planned on crashing differently on my MTB than on my MX bike.

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

-CJB

• Haha 3

I'd be less worried about Sticky Icky and more worried about the machine built trails. When shit is rocky and gnarly, I'm going pretty slow, and as you say, it's not unlike CP or BCGB. Those fast, bermy, jumpy machine trails are the ones where your face is in the dirt before you know it. As the summer goes on and the trails get blown out, it's gonna much harder to rail those turns. That dirt is not like the dirt in town or at nearby RPR. It is slippery when it gets loose. If the front tire washes out at speed, $100 for a full face is going to seem pretty smart.
https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Xact-Helmet
https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Xult-Full-Face-Helmet
I rode there once before they opened and J.Work would shuttle up in his truck in exchange for working on the trail.
The gnarly rocky stuff was fine as that was what I was accustomed to. It was the washed out machined trails that killed me. I still dont know how I ended up on the dirt in a split second. It hurt and after awhile I couldn't even load my bike back into his truck.
I think the difference though is speed right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I rode there once before they opened and J.Work would shuttle up in his truck in exchange for working on the trail.
The gnarly rocky stuff was fine as that was what I was accustomed to. It was the washed out machined trails that killed me. I still dont know how I ended up on the dirt in a split second. It hurt and after awhile I couldn't even load my bike back into his truck.
I think the difference though is speed right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience at Angelfire. It was an "easy" section, but I was going fast because, ya know, gravity. I think it is just really easy to take these sections for granted. One lapses in concentration and you'll be kissing dirt. In my case, I was adjusting a GoPro (or just blinking) and the front tire washed out on the downside of a little benchcut. Luckily, I was wearing a full face and my beautiful face was spared. 

Edited by notyal

20 hours ago, notyal said:

I had a similar experience at Angelfire. It was an "easy" section, but I was going fast because, ya know, gravity. I think it is just really easy to take these sections for granted. One lapses in concentration and you'll be kissing dirt. In my case, I was adjusting a GoPro (or just blinking) and the front tire washed out on the downside of a little benchcut. Luckily, I was wearing a full face and my beautiful face was spared. 

Kinda like this?

NSFW: F-bomb

Edited by Ay Chihuahua
  • Like 1

I'll take a low side any day over a high side.  One of my longer lasting chronic issues was caused by a high side at Walnut Creek on the BMX trail, was going fast into the big berm closer to the road, hit a root, lost rear traction but then it quickly got traction and launched me into the air landing hard on my hip.  It clicked for a long time.  Most of my other injuries are scrapes and bruises from slow tech sections, usually caused by hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Has anyone been out here on a Friday yet? Friend is coming down on the 20th and thinking I’d rather go at noon on a Friday rather than on Saturday morning. Is it pretty empty on Friday when they open?

I was out there this past Friday and the line was never more than 3 riders. Virtually as soon as I finished a run, I was back on the lift!

It was a surreal experience to be on a lift in Texas. Excited to see new trails built out there in the future.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, notyal said:

When I was out there we saw a guy at the bottom who had taken a spill with only a half shell. His face looked like ground hamburger. A full face should be standard equipment out there. They rent them out there too. It's way cheaper facial reconstruction surgery. 

I agree. Take the plunge and rent or buy a full face helmet. It took me a while to adjust to the higher speeds attainable at Spider Mountain vs typical local trails.  Quick reaction times are crucial. Unless you’re on the double black, there’s really no feature that’s super technical (my opinion), but crashes can get gnarly fast at warp speed.

“A full face for the day keeps the oral surgeon away!”

• Like 1