IGNORED

What bike for spider mountain?

crazyt

I have ridden out at spider a half dozen times and the most recent one I decided to take my Honzo ST out there just to try it. Man was it freaking fun and now I will be hard pressed to decide on a bike to bring out there. Ill be honest and say I was a bit nervous about riding the double black on it, but it rode just fine. It was certainly very different than my squish, but I would almost venture to say that the blue was even more fun on the HT. I do not think there is a perfect bike for that place now. Does FS make the chunk a bit easier? Maybe, but it is def not going to make it any more or less fun. 

• Like 2

Angel Fire is offering a discount to Spider Mountain riders.

Angel Fire Bike Park Lift Tickets

SPIDER MOUNTAIN PASSHOLDERS

Present your Spider Mountain lift ticket and ID to the Angel Fire Bike Park Ticket Office and get 50% off your Angel Fire lift ticket. Valid 1 per person per season.

Have a Spider Mountain Season Pass? Get up to 3 days at Angel Fire Bike Park for 50% off. Days do not have to be consecutive and tickets are non transferrable. Must present season pass to lift ticket attendant.

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to Spider Mtn with my new Trek Remedy. Had a few great runs and the bike performed flawlessly. Unfortunately on my fourth run I washed out on a loose turn. Managed to land on my feet but instantly went into a freak split. Felt a pop in my groin and then excruciating pain. Had to be carted off the mountain. Looking forward to getting back out but I'm guessing it's going to be a couple of months to recover. 

• Sad 5

OUCH! That description was so good I felt a twinge as I was reading it. Though I expect your twinge was somewhat amplified by comparison. 

Apply bacon liberally to the palette and rinse with the beer of your choice until the pain subsides.

Best wishes on the recovery, at least it might be cool outside when you get rolling again.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Finally got out to Spider Mtn with my new Trek Remedy. Had a few great runs and the bike performed flawlessly. Unfortunately on my fourth run I washed out on a loose turn. Managed to land on my feet but instantly went into a freak split. Felt a pop in my groin and then excruciating pain. Had to be carted off the mountain. Looking forward to getting back out but I'm guessing it's going to be a couple of months to recover. 
Damn, that's sucks dude. Wished I could have joined you. Maybe riding with my crppiled old ass I could have slowed you down a bit
Hope you heal up soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, throet said:

f*ck.

If something is strain't, pray it ain't the taint.

• Haha 4

Welp, thanks to the link to the ixs helmet....I finally have full face protection. Will make it out to spider on my hardtail as soon as I can talk my cautious riding buddies into having fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was thinking about how Joe Bob Briggs used to rate "B" movies with a head count.

Is anyone keeping a body count for Spider Mountain?

That is, anyone keeping a count of those injured severe enough to require help getting off the hill, and/or the use of an ambulance / chopper gassed up, to carry them somewhere for medical professionals to be employed into practicing their craft?

Edited by Ridenfool

8 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Is anyone keeping a body count for Spider Mountain?

That is, anyone keeping a count of those injured severe enough to require help getting off the hill, and/or the use of an ambulance / chopper gassed up, to carry them somewhere for medical professionals to be employed into practicing their craft?

I can tell you that the staff I encountered while getting carted off the mountain appeared well schooled and well equipped. They could have placed me on a stretcher had I not informed them I could limp up to the jeep trail on my own. They went through the concussion protocol even though I kept reminding them that I didn't crash, which I suppose is arguable since I didn't intentionally dismount my bike either. Gracefully landing on my feet after washing out ended up being my undoing, as a tuck and roll would have at least kept my hamstring intact. They also offered to arrange transport to a medical facility, which I suspect would be Seton Highland Lakes between Burrnet and Marble Falls. While they didn't take my keys away, they urged me not to attempt transporting myself and had me sign a release form, which I suppose had some additional language beyond the release I had already signed upon entrance to the park.         

• Like 2

That is good to hear. It is nice that they have experienced staff on hand to deal with the inevitable new member of the Over The Bars Scar Club.

Sounds like you will also be joining the Loyal Order of the Itching Stitch, a rather exclusive club, generally with a steeper entry fee than the OTBSC.

But, as far as establishing a trail rating based upon body count goes, I guess SM is at 1 then? :classic_smile:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

But, as far as establishing a trail rating based upon body count goes, I guess SM is at 1 then? :classic_smile:

It's higher than that, for sure.  I have been 3 times and on 2 of the three occasions I have seen riders requiring medical attention.  One looked to be a broken collarbone and the other was a guy who went off the trail and into the trees head-first.  He had a broken nose and a pretty good gash on his face, but otherwise seemed to be OK.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

that's a sexy bike!

Thanks. Still sorting out some issues with upper headset and BB but it'll be together for the cooler weather and roadtrips. Tempted to drag it to snowshoe but not down with the transportation costs just yet.

33 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Im a fan of the all black look. Curious--What size tires are those? (width wise)

The rotors look like 180s right?

Appreciate it. My trailbike is colored way over the top so i wanted the exact opposite for this one. Got custom stealth frame/fork decals, painted over chrome and the lettering on tires. The tires are 27.5 x 2.5 DHSS in the rear and 27.5 x 2.6 DHF mounted on 35mm internal rims. The rotors are 203 F&R.

• Like 1

A bike that black might be a potential target for theft ... :classic_rolleyes:

Zaphod's attention however was elsewhere. His attention was riveted on the ship standing next to Hotblack Desiato's limo. His mouths hung open.

"That," he said, "that ... is really bad for the eyes ..."

Ford looked. He too stood astonished.

It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.

"It's so ... black!" said Ford Prefect, "you can hardly make out its shape ... light just seems to fall into it!"

Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

"Your eyes just slide off it ..." said Ford in wonder. It was an emotional moment. He bit his lip.

Zaphod moved forward to it, slowly, like a man possessed - or more accurately like a man who wanted to possess. His hand reached out to stroke it. His hand stopped. His hand reached out to stroke it again. His hand stopped again.

"Come and feel the surface," he said in a hushed voice.

Ford put his hand out to feel it. His hand stopped.

"You ... you can't ..." he said.

"See?" said Zaphod, "it's just totally frictionless. This must be one mother of a mover ..."

He turned to look at Ford seriously. At least, one of his heads did - the other stayed gazing in awe at the ship.

"What do you reckon, Ford?" he said.

"You mean ... er ..." Ford looked over his shoulder. "You mean stroll off with it? You think we should?"

"No."

"Nor do I."

"But we're going to, aren't we?"

"How can we not?"

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

My single speed is all black. Makes it less of a target because to most people it just looks like a cheap old bike, not an expensive one.

DON'T PANIC

Some people may entirely miss the humorous intent behind a pop-culture reference to the work of the late Douglas Adams and believe the theft comment was sincere. :classic_wink:

Others may not miss this at all, while simultaneously realizing any chance for Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beeblebrox to abscond with their ride is astronomically unlikely.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

DON'T PANIC

Some people may entirely miss the humorous intent behind a pop-culture reference to the work of the late Douglas Adams and believe the theft comment was sincere. :classic_wink:

Others may not miss this at all, while simultaneously realizing any chance for Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beeblebrox to abscond with their ride is astronomically unlikely.

Auf Englisch bitte.