IGNORED

My attempt at a "Cheap" Cycle Computer

I've been poking around at getting a cycle computer but was taken back by how much they cost. When I really started getting into it, I realized they also had a lot of features I (currently) could care less about. I realized what I really wanted was just a map and a way to record the ride. Then I came across the video linked below (thank the algorithm).

TLDR: The guy uses a cheap, ruggedized cell phone without a service plant to run TrailForks in place of a computer.

I figured it was worth a try, but since I already had a semi-recent cell phone just laying in a drawer (ok, maybe a few) I decided to just use that. $90 later in quad-lock mounts for my bikes and old phone and I'm in business. I've only tried it twice so far. Once just in my pack and once mounted on the quad-lock. So far I really like it. I think they major down side is kind of an upside. I trying TrailForks which is ok and allows me to download the entire Texas region to use offline. As most of you know TF doesn't have very complete/up-to-date trail data. SN is pretty good, BC is ok, Walnut looks ok but I haven't tried it yet. The upside is I can use any app I want to track my rides. So there is some flexibility. I follow the YouTubers suggestion and leave the phone in Airplane mode and set the screen to stay on all the time. Even with a 5 year old phone, after riding 11+ miles yesterday my battery was still at 40%. Good enough for my expectations.

I say "cheap" because I am using a $600 cell phone in place of a $400-$500 computer but the cell phone is my old phone that's been laying in a drawer for 8 months and no longer had any purpose.

image.thumb.png.98f8bc10dd07720d5f6b9abc5256a528.pngimage.thumb.png.3ac212a503db02c158c28891de34db52.png

• Like 2

I looked at the Explore 2 and it felt like it was really targeted at roadies and gravel riders more than mountain bikers. Do you use it with trail forks?

Just watched the video on the trail forks site and it was very in-depth but did not even use the words trail forks, so I think I have my answers.

Edited by AustinBike

I was hoping to see awesome battery life when I came to this thread.  My old 705 would go about 17 hours before it ran out of battery. My 520 lasts a fraction of that even turning off the phone connection and not using navigation (those 2 things drain the hell out of the battery.)  I'd love to find one with less features but longer battery life.

• Sad 1

To clarify, I'm not lazy to recharge, but I'm looking to get back into long ride/race shape and in events like 24hr races I have to swap (not an issue b/c it's laps) but in things like Dragonslayer and the EB where these are <=12hrs, but in some cases you may require navigation, the battery life is an issue.

31 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Zip tie a USB battery to your handlebar and you have all the power you will ever need. That is what I do when I turn my Garmin on and it says battery is <40%. Generally that means it will not make it for the full standard ride.

Yep, I was thinking about this and taking it a step further.  It will probably take me months and cost me 5x what it would to buy a solution...but you know...engineers gotta engineer! 🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, RedRider3141 said:

I trying TrailForks which is ok and allows me to download the entire Texas region to use offline.  The upside is I can use any app I want to track my rides.

Dang! Earlier this summer I recycled all of my old cell phones!  But how do you use the phone and load apps without an active cell phone plan? 

Also, Ride With GPS has specific instructions on what to turn off to use voice prompts only to save battery life.  We used it a few weeks ago in SE Utah (zero cell service) and it worked great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

But how do you use the phone and load apps without an active cell phone plan?

You'll have to load apps on wifi.  @RedRider3141 mentions Airplane mode and show that on the screen, so that shows his particular phone's GPS works without cell service.  It seems like you need a phone with reliable GPS+GLONASS instead of "GPS" through cell tower triangulation.  I was looking at a $50 super tiny 3G phone, but I doubt it has built-in GPS, and now 3G are essentially bricks in the US.

• Like 1

@AntonioGG is correct, my old phone/new cycle computer has active WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, etc. So the phone has regular internet at my house on Wifi, or I can make a quick Wifi Hotspot from my active phone if I needed to, but its not required for recording a ride. 

No 4G/LTE, however, it will still call 911 if I needed it to. 

On 10/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, AustinBike said:

If you want a Garmin 510 I have one for you.

Appreciate the offer, but I think the cell phone gets me closer to the features I want for riding than most of the dedicated cycle computers. I shouldn't be surprised but it seems like most of the computers are 95% geared towards roadies. Whenever MTB riding is mentioned its always "hang time" and vague references to "off road navigation".

Edited by RedRider3141

I have a REALLY OLD Garmin 705 computer if anyone is interested. Works perfectly. Still makes sounds and charges and everything. I think I still have combined street/topo map card for it too.

It looks so quaint compared to current hardware.

2 hours ago, bear said:

I have a REALLY OLD Garmin 705 computer if anyone is interested. Works perfectly. Still makes sounds and charges and everything. I think I still have combined street/topo map card for it too.

It looks so quaint compared to current hardware.

Those things are great!  I loved the joystick compared to the more modern ones.