IGNORED

Ride & Imbibe!

TAF

It rained pretty dang hard at WC the night (4am) before last.  Has anyone been out there to check conditions?
-CJB

Walnut didn’t seem to get any rain yesterday. Did some digging with CMC on outer log loop and had to stop because the dirt was too dry. We need some rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I was in, drove 30 min in traffic, got there, put lights on bike, then was going to put the one on my helmet...no helmet.  Drove another 30 minutes in heavy traffic home. suckage!  At least I got to say hi to Barry from afar.  

Heh...did this a few weeks back at Brushy. Only it was shoes I forgot...

I have a bunch of things that I always keep in the car (socks, gloves, etc.) and I have thought about keeping a spare helmet and shoes, but they take up a lot of space. My normal shoes and helmet get pretty funky, so leaving them in the car is not optimal. Used to be easier with a trunk, but with an SUV the smell is everywhere.

I always leave my shoes in the car. The helmet though never stays. I remember reading somewhere that the inside temps of the car (at least 9 months of the year here) get hot enough to degrade the helmet’s integrity over time. It might not be true at all, but I’m just not comfortable leaving it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

.[...]..no helmet. [...] At least I got to say hi to Barry from afar.

I looked up and thought, "hey, cool, it's Anotnio." Then a few minutes later though "...where tf did Antonio go?" 

Somehow that has only ever happened to me twice. First was 10 years ago. I showed up to a group ride with no helmet. Some sweaty local I knew happened to be just finishing up his ride and let me borrow his. I was wigged out by the dripping cold sweat, but quickly got over it. The second time was an after work, mid-week GB ride last year. I managed to make it home in time to still get in a quick Walnut spin. I try real hard to keep my shoes and helmet together, but riding from home so much makes it tricky, and I am very aware on rides that I drive to that I can leave stuff at home. I always do the mental note double check for stuff. And more often that not, I pull over 5 minutes down the road to triple check! 

The helmet is not something I usually forget.  In fact, my helmet and shoes are usually in my car.  I always use a windshield screen, have ceramic window tinting, and set A/C to exterior (not recirc) and crack a window when I park my car to keep temps (and smells) down.  The thing I normally forget is my jersey so I do have a spare one in my work bag.  I've forgotten socks (I actually did this time, but my cube neighbor had a set of promotional socks I "borrowed" from him, helmet liner (not a big problem) and shoes.  BTW, wearing a beanie has been the best thing for me in multiple fronts:  I don't have to put on sunscreen on my bald spot/forehead, pulls sweeat off, and keeps my helmet from getting funky.  I even have a spare set of pads that I've never had to use.

This time, I have changed a bit where my stuff is since we have not gone ahead with the laundry room/mud room remodel so that threw me off.  This is my incentive to get that project moving again.

It probably is time for a new helmet anyway.  I will keep the old one as a spare in the car--even if it's old.  

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

I looked up and thought, "hey, cool, it's Anotnio." Then a few minutes later though "...where tf did Antonio go?" 

Ha!  I thought it was rude not to come over and chat a bit, but I was so pissed off at myself (and embarrassed) I just tucked my tail and took off.

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

I was wigged out by the dripping cold sweat, but quickly got over it. 

I would have gladly borrowed a grungy helmet, but I wear a 7 3/4- 7 7/8 (mostly for head shape).  It's a PITA to find a helmet that fits me properly at the store so I had zero hope of someone else with a big noggin.  I thought for a few seconds about riding without a helmet, figuring I could take it easy...but I thought...if this is the day some freak thing happens and it's the day I'm not wearing a helmet, I'll not forgive myself.

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

I try real hard to keep my shoes and helmet together, but riding from home so much makes it tricky

That's exactly what happened to me.  I rode from home on Sunday so I took the helmet out of the car and didn't put it back.  The shoes were right under the bike, but the helmet was on a hook in the garage.