IGNORED

Ride & Imbibe!

TAF

Ha, I'm the same with scully year round. Savior of the follically challenged!

I've ridden in dress socks, gloveless lots, and once shirtless with a camelbak when I've forgotten stuff in the past.  I've amassed quite the pile of backups in my truck now. Socks are less an issue now that I go corporate casual and usually just wear bike socks to work and can get away with a club ride jersey if I have no meetings.  Lately I've forgotten my damn ice chest twice, but luckily just filled a backup bottle at work to ride. 

Now the challenge will be to remember to charge my lights!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

I've ridden in dress socks, gloveless lots, and once shirtless with a camelbak when I've forgotten stuff in the past.  I've amassed quite the pile of backups in my truck now. Socks are less an issue now that I go corporate casual and usually just wear bike socks to work and can get away with a club ride jersey if I have no meetings.  Lately I've forgotten my damn ice chest twice, but luckily just filled a backup bottle at work to ride. 

Now the challenge will be to remember to charge my lights!

I went sock-less once at Walnut.  The blisters were epic!  

I actually rode gloveless a lot this summer in trails that weren't too technical (i.e. slippage was not a big concern).  It's so much cooler.  I wear Swiftwick 100% of the time every day so that's usually not a problem...except on rock climbing day in which I go sockless...which happens to be Tuesdays and Fridays.

I forgot my SPD shoes for a Thumper Thursday ride and went ahead and road it in my adidas.  Many MANY years ago, I showed up at Zilker for a GB ride and only had my road shoes (with big Look cleats) with me.  I drove over to BSS on Tomey and borrowed some look road pedals and did my best to unclip as little as possible.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, AntonioGG said:

It's a PITA to find a helmet that fits me properly at the store so I had zero hope of someone else with a big noggin.

Actually, you had a 100% chance of success - that's my helmet size, I was standing right there, and I was done good and early. Actuarial tables be damned.

3 hours ago, TAF said:

Actually, you had a 100% chance of success - that's my helmet size, I was standing right there, and I was done good and early. Actuarial tables be damned.

D'OH!!

What kind is your helmet?  I desperately want to replace my Bell.

Edited by AntonioGG

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

D'OH!!

What kind is your helmet?  I desperately want to replace my Bell.

I've rarely ever met anyone with a larger hat size than myself.

Does your Bell fit ok?  I'm a Bell helmet guy, but  purchased a new Poch Octal X in day glow yellow.  I've been thinking about selling it to get the newer version that just came out.

This is mine in Unobtanium Yellow.  I'd sell it half price.  It prolly doesn't have but 50 hrs of commuting on it.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/poc-octal-x-helmet

Later,
CJB

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I'm thinking:
base layer
bibs
jersey
arm warmers
knee warmers
Trail jersey
Baggies
Puffy vest
sock liners
wool swiftwick socks
Walmart bags over the toes
Shoes
Gloves
Beanie
Hard Shell jacket
Helmet

I'm thinking any more than that and I'll end up sweating. I can shed layers as necessary.

I rode Saturday morning on the road (39-40°F with high humidity) with this:  

• OnOne Merino base layer over bibs (super thin), under jersey.  
  • Swiftwick arm warmers
  • OnOne Merino neck gaither
  • OnOne Merino beanie
  • Swiftwick socks
  • LG winter gloves (my least winter winter-gloves)
  • LG knee/leg warmers

I was perfectly fine.  In fact, I need to find that old thread so I can post up the review on the OnOne stuff.

No wind/rain shell, no toe covers.  In the past I've used thicker Merino base layers and I got too hot.  I've also used tech long sleeve shirts under and those were not warm enough.

Hope y'all have a good R&I.

I echo Barry’s report (Barry we should have ridden together). The conditions were just about primo... other than it being frigid.
I only came across two slick spots and they were on the outer log loop. Honestly, it could have just been wet leaves. My tires picked up zero dirt.
I skipped Mark’s Art and Tangle of Trails because I was cold and wasn’t feeling my fingertips anymore to brake and shift well. That, and I started thinking of all the rest of you cozy indoors holding mugs of nitro stouts next to roaring fireplaces wrapped in fur blankets.
1a9e7035412d3fc60d0fdc39e9a27da1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

(Barry we should have ridden together).

I just missed you. I did my usual pre-spin, and was chilling (literally) in the lot at 5:28*. I thought your earlier statement, "the 'R' is still happening," meant you'd be there. I shivered until 5:37*, and then rolled on and did BMX and Windy.  When I came back through the lot at 5:57* you had shown up and rolled out. I tried to track you down, but never found you.

*Times courtesy of Strava Flyby. 

13 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I rode Saturday morning on the road (39-40°F with high humidity) with this:  

• OnOne Merino base layer over bibs (super thin), under jersey.  
  • Swiftwick arm warmers
  • OnOne Merino neck gaither
  • OnOne Merino beanie
  • Swiftwick socks
  • LG winter gloves (my least winter winter-gloves)
  • LG knee/leg warmers

I was perfectly fine.  In fact, I need to find that old thread so I can post up the review on the OnOne stuff.

No wind/rain shell, no toe covers.  In the past I've used thicker Merino base layers and I got too hot.  I've also used tech long sleeve shirts under and those were not warm enough.

Hope y'all have a good R&I.

Was someone talking about being a sock person???

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks?sort=price-asc&utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=c5b4bc94ac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_13_11_26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-c5b4bc94ac-274016313&mc_cid=c5b4bc94ac&mc_eid=7c6b35a5ae

Merino wool socks for less than $4 a pair. I have several pair and they are really warm. Shipping the the US is cheap.