IGNORED

Copper Canyon in Mexico

TheX

20 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Just watched the video this afternoon, seems like an epic ride. Any clue as to the safety of getting there?

I have friends from years ago that live down there now. They claim it's safe, but they live there. I think it would be worth a trip.

12-15 years ago that area was slowly becoming the go to destination for biking vacations. It was all over all the bike rags. Then when all the kidnapping crap started along the border all stories about it just died. Always sounded like a great destination. The trouble was just in getting there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

12-15 years ago that area was slowly becoming the go to destination for biking vacations. It was all over all the bike rags. Then when all the kidnapping crap started along the border all stories about it just died. Always sounded like a great destination. The trouble was just in getting there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This all the way.

I have a close friend who spent 8 yrs in El Paso working in a bike shop.  He had a local contact in EP who would take people on trips down there to ride Copper Canyon (and do a race in that area too).  I think they'd spend nearly a week down there all together.  He said it was a pretty dialed process and he kept asking us to come join them.  I never got around to it and now with the (not so) recent cartel violence, the impetus to pursue this has disappeared.  But if any of ya'll wanted to find out more, I bet I could get you in touch with the guy who use to run the trips.

Later, -CJB

I was there in 1968.  We were on a family vacation and the train that ran from Ojinaga (across the border from Presidio) to Los Mochis, Mexico ran right by the canyon.  It stopped at an overlook for about 20 minutes and we got to lean against the rickety wooden guardrail and stare into the abyss.  It was a grand time, riding old Pullman cars from the 1930s with portraits of American presidents hanging on the walls and people in third class holding live chickens on their laps.  

• Like 1