IGNORED

The polarization of E-bikes

Chief

Fwiw, that video is from 2017 and they've since released an updated frame that apparently addresses this issues. I think it's interesting how he describes the feeling of the suspension when climbing. It sounds completely opposite from the other reviews I've seen.

I certainly don't have a dog in this fight. I just seems like people are very quick to hate this suspension despite multiple reviews from respected sources singing it's praises. Talk about polarizing!

Interesting follow up from BikeRadar contrasting the Polygon vs the Marin (same suspension design)...

"I also found that the Marin’s back end flexed so much, laterally, in certain situations that the shock would bind, causing the suspension to become suddenly harsh. The Xquarone appears to be stiffer, both when wiggling the rear wheel from side to side and when riding. I didn’t notice the shock binding while testing; in fact the suspension remained impressively active and supple throughout."

- The Xquarone from BikeRadar

"The most impressive thing about this bike is how it pedals. Forget how much travel it has, no matter the gradient, cadence or power output, the suspension is remarkably stable when seated. That means it forgives even choppy pedalling technique with almost hardtail-like efficiency."

So, it seems that the Marin version of the NAILD design is sub-par, but the Polygon version is the one to ride if you want to see the full potential of the system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 6:58 PM, Tree Magnet said:

I don’t like ebikes because I see them as closer to a motorcycle than a bicycle. If we can use a 500 watt while on the trail, why can’t we use a 750 watt electric motor cycle? Why not a 75 cc yamaha?

I get why hikers don’t like bicycles on trails because the speed differential adds danger. It’s how you feel riding city park and you hear a 400 cc KTM coming up behind you.

My simple philosophy is that mixing motorized and non-motorized on the same surface is a recipe for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, it is a future and we have to admit it. The same thing is going to happen with motorcycles. Even in Yamaha's model line, more rumours are appearing that there will be a new model with hybrid motor. It doesn't make any sense for a true lovers though... All Yamaha models https://bike.net/Yamaha are unique and have a huge fanbase. I am also against this electric trend. 

Edited by soap94

21 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

so in other words that bike is a piece of shit. lol

Well... No... Unless you want to call every first version of a product a piece of shit, which would include the bike you're hustling.

Looking at the marketing video — and even reviews — it seems that the bike rides fine... There are just some areas that could be improved on. Which is normal for first versions of products.

All products go through development, even after being brought to market. It's normal. Some though, come to market with less refinement than should have been included.

Apple Cube
Smokeless Cigarettes
Cadillac Cimarron
Pontiac Aztec
WebTV
Samsung Note 7
The Daily
Astrocolor
Early Bird
Comet

Edited by RidingAgain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am heading out to France and Spain next week. Our apartment in San Sebastian is right next to a docked ebike rental:

https://www.dbizi.com/?lang=en

If we decide to do a day of riding I may convince the group to play on some of these. There is a really cool waterfront where we can cruise. The real problem will be that an ebike won't work off all of the pintxos calories so I may need a backup plan as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had my first close encounter with an e-bike last week riding in California. I had arranged a regular MTB rental through one of the local bike shops in San Luis Obispo and asked if any of the shop staff would be interested in riding / guiding for an afternoon. The guy meets me at the trailhead with my rental bike (Trek Fuel), along with a Rocky Mountain eBike from the shop that he was intending to ride. Now that I thought was actually an excellent application for a pedal assist ebike. After all, he was packing plenty of gear for trailside repairs, had extra snacks / fluid in case I didn't bring enough, and frankly was doing it for the fee I agreed to pay vs. strictly for fun. Also, in that role he knows that he has to keep up on the climbs and frankly climbing did not appear to be his forte. So in the end, it was a really great experience for both of us. He got to put a little extra cash in his pocket and I got to ride some sweet singletrack without having to do extensive research on the trail system and never having to pull my phone out to navigate the trails. He even offered to let me try the eBike, although I respectfully declined. 

IMAG2668.thumb.jpg.ed370cda8ca1e398029943356d3591f3.jpg

Edited by throet
  • Like 6